The Official Lady Gaga Thread

Aquaria

The promo has been about comparable to BTW.

I feel like BTW came off the heels of an extremely successful album and tour. Gaga was the #1 star at that time. The BTW promotion campaign was aggressive and excessive, she was very eccentric too. The album sold fine, but it did turn some people off and she was overexposed.

ARTPOP has been much more about the music and not so in-your-face. Gaga is much more tame this time around....so far.

• Upvote 1

The promo has been about comparable to BTW.

I can't agree with that.

I was in LA when BTW, the song was released and every pop station in that market was playing that song every hour on the hour. She had KissFM on LOCK! The promo for that album was epic, plus she was coming off of a very successful era and tour so her buzz was crazy. What happen now is that her luster has worn off. The BTW era didn't live up to the hype, and she's not the hottest bitch on the block right now. The promo for Artflop (is it to soon for that nickname?) has not been on the same level. She needs to go into hustle mode.

I can't agree with that.

I was in LA when BTW, the song was released and every pop station in that market was playing that song every hour on the hour. She had KissFM on LOCK! The promo for that album was epic, plus she was coming off of a very successful era and tour so her buzz was crazy. What happen now is that her luster has worn off. The BTW era didn't live up to the hype, and she's not the hottest bitch on the block right now. The promo for Artflop (is it to soon for that nickname?) has not been on the same level. She needs to go into hustle mode.

I felt that people were implying the promo was more this time around vs BTW. I would say it was in the same ballpark or less.

I feel like BTW came off the heels of an extremely successful album and tour. Gaga was the #1 star at that time. The BTW promotion campaign was aggressive and excessive, she was very eccentric too. The album sold fine, but it did turn some people off and she was overexposed.

ARTPOP has been much more about the music and not so in-your-face. Gaga is much more tame this time around....so far.

BTW wasn't the big success though.. especially in the rest of the world where she only had 1 hit single and the others were kinda non entities

They should have known better... The signs were all there that Gaga wasn't the big pop star anymore she was the year before...

And she's all but tame over here.. She's over the top crazy and in a very disturbing way imo

I just thought there were a lot more 'monsters' out there especially in the US... You know most monsters bought multiple copies as well, some even up to 30... the 'golden ticket' that's in 10 of the cd's was another stunt to sell more cd's to one person...

It's not the best marketing imo... Yes you will sell more with this album, but the next album will have an even bigger drop cause more of the monsters now, more will go and join the Miley experience and even Katy's...

+ the second week drop will be bigger too...

Anyway... I feel kinda bad for her cause i do like her in a way... She just makes it very difficult though

She got SNL's highest ratings this season :blink:

I'm not using that face because I'm shocked.. I'm using it bc people just won't let her be great musically

the truth of the matter is that people want to see her do bad. I know that could be said about any pop star but its the truth. They build you up just to tear you down...I don't think its that serious for her yet, but if this album continues to under perform, I can see them making her the butt of a lot of jokes. That's just the way this society is set up, but she is a very talented musician at the end of the day and she has tons of money...so Im not going to feel to sorry for her...one unsuccessful album is not going to define or stop the Gaga. She will be just fine.

• Upvote 1

the truth of the matter is that people want to see her do bad. I know that could be said about any pop star but its the truth. They build you up just to tear you down...I don't think its that serious for her yet, but if this album continues to under perform, I can see them making her the butt of a lot of jokes. That's just the way this society is set up, but she is a very talented musician at the end of the day and she has tons of money...so Im not going to feel to sorry for her...one unsuccessful album is not going to define or stop the Gaga. She will be just fine.

Damn..

Well Gaga did say that ppl have been searching for "Gaga's" demise since she's been out lol

Yes.. we know she's very egotistical... but her ego must be hurt right about now

But watch her come back great better next album.. She'll change her sound.. Maybe tone down the image... If she doesn't change her something up... If she sticks to this personality she's doing now... She's going to become stale..

She got SNL's highest ratings this season :blink:

I'm not using that face because I'm shocked.. I'm using it bc people just won't let her be great musically

http://music-mix.ew....gs-artpop-bump/

Why isn't Lady Gaga's 'ARTPOP' getting a sales boost from her 'SNL' appearance?

On Saturday night, Lady Gaga joined the relatively exclusive club of people who have served as both the host and musical guest in a single episode of Saturday Night Live.

Critically, she was a relative success, delivering a steady-if-unremarkable stream of sketch moments and sounding mostly excellent on the oft-tricky SNL music stage. The show was rewarded with its highest ratings of the season, and the estimated audience of between eight and nine million viewers is the highest since Justin Timberlake’s double-down episode back in March.

And yet Gaga’s new album ARTPOP is only third on iTunes’ download chart, trailing both Eminem and One Direction. And the two singles she performed on Saturday’s show are languishing on the singles chart—the R. Kelly-assisted “Do What U Want” sits outside the top 10 at 14, and “Gypsy” is all the way down at 72.

Under normal circumstances, an appearance on SNL tends to provide a healthy boost to an artist, especially one with a brand new album: Macklemore & Ryan Lewis saw their record sales jump up 83% in the week following their SNL performance earlier this year, Of Monsters & Men experienced a 74% increase, and Alabama Shakes rocketed from the 40s into the top 10 on the Billboard 200.

So where’s Gaga’s boost? It’s the latest in a series of negative developments surrounding the sales of ARTPOP. Industry projections initially had Gaga’s latest moving a little more than 300,000 units in its opening week, though that projection is now down to between 220,000 and 260,000. That would put her well off the pace of her last album Born This Way, which shifted over a million copies in its opening frame in 2011. (Granted, that’s a bit of an inflated number since it included copies of the album sold for 99 cents through an Amazon promotion — a move that forced Billboard to change its rules about what counts as an album sale.)

But even if you take the estimated 350,000 to 400,000 Amazon copies out of the equation, Gaga’s ARTPOP will still be doing, at most, half of Born This Way‘s opening. (Gaga may be going for another Amazon-related gambit: ARTPOP is currently the top-selling album in their MP3 store, likely because it’s currently available for $5.99.)

Not only that, but even if she clears 250,000 copies this week, Gaga would still be squarely behind the first-week sales of Miley Cyrus’ Bangerz and Katy Perry’s Prism, the other two pop-diva albums ARTPOP has been battle with over airtime and attention this fall.

So why is the pop market rejecting Gaga? Is it fatigue over her ever-shifting personae and outfits? Or are the songs on ARTPOP simply not up to snuff?

Lady Gaga's $25 Million Art Machine Can't Buy a Real Hit

1118_Lady_Gaga_630x420.jpg

Lady Gaga wants people to take pop music seriously.

Her new album, ARTPOP, was conceived as an exploration of what happens when high-brow art meets low-brow pop and if there’s really any difference between the two. It’s a theme broached in her previous albums—and touched on by Kanye West in his oil-painting-turned-music-video for Power—but with ARTPOP, Gaga is trying to position herself as the second coming of Andy Warhol. Pop artist Jeff Koons designed the album’s cover, which features a naked sculpture of Gaga cupping her breasts while giving birth to a shiny blue ball. It’s art that could be easily mistaken for a slapdash Photoshop (ADBE) job.

Considering Gaga’s massive following of “Little Monsters,” as her fans call themselves, and the fact that her last album, 2011′s Born This Way, sold over 1.1 million copies during its first week (with a boost from a 99¢ promotion on Amazon(AMZN)), ARTPOP could’ve been the year’s biggest hit. Interscope Records(VIV:FP) spent about $25 million promoting the album, culminating in an over-the-top “artRave” event at Brooklyn’s Navy Yard on the night of ARTPOP‘s Nov. 11 release.

VIDEO: Are We Going Too Gaga for Lady Gaga?

During the event, Gaga exhibited Koons sculptures, Maria Abramović videos, and a Benjamin Rollins Caldwell installation made up of old computer parts. She performed new songs while wearing a white space-suit-inspired leotard, her bleached hair cut into a severe, triangular bob. At one point, she even unveiled a hovercraft that she insisted was “the world’s first flying dress.” Watching artRave, it was as if everything in The Jetsons had finally come true.

Despite all the fanfare, ARTPOP isn’t selling. The album sold just over 250,000 copies in its first week, putting it behind Katy Perry’s Prism (286,000 copies) and Miley Cyrus’ Bangerz (270,000 copies)—far below the expected 350,000 salestouted before its release. Interscope may lose so much money on the album that unconfirmed rumors of layoffsare circulating.

To be clear, ARTPOP isn’t a total flop. It made its debut at No. 1 in the U.K., and while the Billboard charts haven’t yet been released, the album remains in the running for a No. 1 U.S. debut. But for someone who once seemed able to churn out hit songs in her sleep—Bad Romance has sold over 10 million singles since it came out in 2009—ARTPOP feels more like a fizzle.

STORY: Live Nation's New Groove: Electronic Dance Music and Scalped Tickets

So Gaga’s new album came in third among current female pop launches—possibly fourth, depending on how Britney Spears fares with Britney Jean, which will reach the public at the end of the month. Given her artistic ambitions, it might be better to compare Lady Gaga to someone with a similar mindset—perhaps Kanye West, who released an off-the-wall album of his own this year. Yeezus had similarly lofty ambitions of becoming an art project that explored race, religion, and power. It moved 327,000 copies in its first week, or 30 percent more than ARTPOP.

Interestingly, Yeezus didn’t come with a big promotional push. When it came out on June 18, there was no single already on the radio as ARTPOP had with Applause.It wasn’t even available for pre-ordering. The music on Yeezus was percussive and erratic, with such song titles as New Slaves and Black Skinhead, which has since gone on to be used in a commercial forMotorola (GOOG). After that first week, sales of Yeezus dropped significantly.

Still, there’s a difference between artistic and commercial success, and Yeezus has been widely hailed by critics as a great album. Kanye tempers his most narcissistic declaration (“I am a God”) by rapping about massages and French restaurants, even shouting at one point:”Hurry up with my damn croissants!” On ARTPOP, however, Gaga never seems to have fun with her persona. On Donatella, which is about the jet-setting life of Donatella Versace, she seems totally unaware of how vapid the chorus—”She’s so thin/she’s so rich/and so blond/She’s so fab/it’s beyond”—makes her sound. (Weirdly, she did understand this in 2008′s Beautiful, Dirty, Rich, which is basically about the same thing) As a result, ARTPOP feels conceptually shallow, as if Gaga were too focused on flying dresses and crazy spacesuits to bother with the actual music.

During a listening party before the Yeezus debut, Kanye laid out his personal strategy for selling music: “I’ve got an idea on how to sell more music, it’s called make better music,” he said. He didn’t mention anything about flying spacesuits.

http://www.businessw...#r=most popular

When Iiiii igniiiiite the flaaaaame and put you in my mouuuuttthhhh...

The grass eats up my insiiiiides and my bruuuunette starts to sprouuuuutttt!!!!!!!!

INTRODUCING... LADIES AND GENTLEMEN... MARY JANE HOLLAND!!!!!!

:excited: *AUDIENCE GOES WILD* :excited:

That part gives me so much life. Best part of the album.

She was vocally on fire.