The Janet Jackson Accomplishments Thread

Mr. Wonder

When We Oooo is epic and a fan favorite... WYM is legendary. China Love is deep as fuck and Love Scene is very Classic Janet with a modern twist.. the rest of the album (excluding SOAG) is better than Damita Jo - Discipline 

Agree with all of this, and here's some more reasoning/ points...  

I personally would rank the albums like this.. 1. RN  2. Control  Tier One albums-- clarity of message and theme innovative sound and colors

3. TVR  4. Janet  5. Unbreakable  Tier Two-- great songs and unique themes and characteristics. Stellar albums but not quite Tier One.

6. All For You  Tier Tow and a Half

7. Damita Jo  8. Discipline  9.  20YO  Tier Three-- Even with some stellar "go-to" tracks, but thematically they are re-hash of territory already explored in previous albums.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The 30 Best ’90s R&B Songs

rzbQcNgt.jpg

6. Janet Jackson, “That’s the Way Love Goes” (1993)

The lead single from 1993’s janet. sampled James Brown and “Impeach the President,” but its funk was of a more laid-back variety; with her longtime collaborators Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, Janet Jackson created a stretched-out tableau of flinty guitars and laconic rhythms, over which she matter-of-factly murmured double-entendre come-ons. It existed in a place far from the rhythm nation she’d commandeered on her previous album, but it was no less exciting. –MJ

http://www.spin.com/featured/30-best-90s-rnb-songs/

• Upvote 1

Janet was recently featured on Very Smart Brothers/The Root's list for The 10 Best 'Brown Liquor' Songs of All-Time. (It's an obscure list, but I thought it'd be worth posting)

In the author's words a brown liquor song is qualified by:

1) a pronounced bass line;

2) this bass line must be contrasted with an ethereal harmony; and

3) the sonic tension between these juxtapositions must evoke a mood that is either libidinous or mournful in nature.

6. “Anything” by Janet Jackson

This is the definitive Janet Jackson slow jam. Per Son of Baldwin, “Anything was Janet channeling her best Isley Brothers. ... You can hear it in her phrasings. Listen to the way she says ‘I’ for example. She puts that stank on it and turns it into ‘Yi.’ That’s a classic Ron Isley interpretation, made specifically for the bedroom. Janet updated it by adding her trademark honey-harmonies (a phrase coined by writer Danyel Smith to describe the sound of ‘I Get Lonely’) in the background. Smooth AF. Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis added that hypnotic pulse and there you have it: folks ready to give up “Anything” in the act of lovemaking.”

I suggest you pair this with Basil Hayden … neat.

Link: http://verysmartbrothas.theroot.com/the-10-best-brown-liquor-songs-of-all-time-1797871056

• Upvote 3

The 25 Best VMA Performances

Janet Jackson's Michael Jackson Tribute (2009)

The sudden passing of Michael Jackson gave way to a beautiful tribute from his sister, Janet, at the 2009 VMAs. Joined by Michael's would-be back-up dancers for "This Is It," Janet took the stage to perform their 1995 collaboration "Scream." With Jackson on the big screen, Janet had a chance to perform with her brother one more time. There was not a dry eye in the room. Or were we the only ones shedding tears? 

http://www.complex.com/music/2017/08/best-mtv-vma-performances/kanye-west-runaway

• Upvote 2

The Boombox

50 Greatest New Jack Swing Albums

No. 1 
Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814
Janet Jackson (1989)

Janet Jackson broke through as a superstar via the hit-packed blockbuster album Control in 1986. But where that hit album featured songwriting/production from Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis that pushed the Minneapolis sound into new territory, it wasn't until the follow-up that Janet was fully thrust into the new jack swing revolution. Her producers were coming off of New Edition's Heart Break and they brought the full power of hip-hop's sampled loops and programmed beats to Janet's newfound social awareness. The result was a megahit album that was both a concept record and a collection of hit singles. With Sly Stone drum loops and Bomb Squad-esque whistles, Janet proved Control was not only no fluke, it was just the tip of the iceberg of what she could accomplish. Jam & Lewis crafted an album that sounded of the time and yet transcended it, besting not only their previously-held standards--but pretty much every one of their contemporaries.

Standout Tracks: 
"Love Will Never Do Without You"
"Alright"
"Miss U Much"

Read More: 50 Greatest New Jack Swing Albums | http://theboombox.com/50-greatest-new-jack-swing-albums-2017/?trackback=tsmclip

• Upvote 5

Both invalidates it, people can change their mind (come to their senses)....its 6 years....2 would be enough tp make it useless. Even if more misguided members overtook a recent poll, it doesn't take away from the fact that janet. simply put as a whole aged much better, despite the cohesiveness of Control, janet gives way more variety, insight to her, her skills as a writer & producer. Cohesion doesnt make a album good, great songs do, and janet wins in that, it provides a variety of great songs. Control is a great starting point, but its seriously the weakest link in the albums of the JanJamLewis 86-01 work.

Hell no!!! :lol: the "janet." album gave more variety to her skills as a writer and producer? No "Rhythm Nation" did that 4yrs earlier. The "janet." album was mostly about sex and love.

I'm not sure who bullied you as a child, but you need to let that hurt go. 

And you say this while discussing Control being included in a womens GOAT albums list at number 17 out of 150 albums.  If anything, janet. is the weakest link of Janet's signature four. It's the least cohesive and unnecessarily long. The concept is not as developed as on Control. Furthermore, it does not have the significance of Control, RN1814, or TVR when it comes to career-defining artistic output, notoriety, critical praise, or legacy. 

Agreed!!! I'd place the "janet." album in a close race with the "All For You" album. Both are have good music but nothing substantial to talk about. "Control" actually stood for something. Just because it was the best selling doesn't mean it was the best album she's done

Hell no!!! :lol: the "janet." album gave more variety to her skills as a writer and producer? No "Rhythm Nation" did that 4yrs earlier. The "janet." album was mostly about sex and love.

:blink:......really....almost a month later....its all finished and you felt the need to re-ignite? For starters RN wasnt apart of the discussion. Next "the janet album was mostly about sex & love lyrically" yet & still, the janet. Album was the 1st album that she was as heavy a producer & composer as she was and yes more so than RN, she wrote on it more, and from Jimmy's own mouth, was more hands on with the production of the whole album. Like 1 more or whatever but thats a fact.

I can only be gathered on this topic/opinion if Janet turned out to be more involved the artistry, writing, & production for Control than she was for janet. You can keep this going all you want, but you know I'm right, like it or not or agree or not. You like Control more for the theme, I like janet. more for the artistry and how eclectic & flexible it is.
 Related image

That's an interesting theory, my theory was confirmed by her & Jimmy that that was their favorite album to make because everyone was rooting for them, they had everything they wanted and needed at their disposal, they could do anything they wanted to and make any decisions they wanted to make. And it's the 1st album Janet was onboard of every bit of the production end, and her influence is there, it's in the production and background and lyrics the way it hadn't been previously to the full extent, everything from the past was stepping stones to this then TVR. Opinions on which is better are nothing but opinion, the filler some of you speak of isn't filler for everyone. 

Why yall are trying to dig up a settled and finished bullshit opinion debate that really will have no right answer is hilarious 

:blink:......really....almost a month later....its all finished and you felt the need to re-ignite? For starters RN wasnt apart of the discussion. Next "the janet album was mostly about sex & love lyrically" yet & still, the janet. Album was the 1st album that she was as heavy a producer & composer as she was and yes more so than RN, she wrote on it more, and from Jimmy's own mouth, was more hands on with the production of the whole album. Like 1 more or whatever but thats a fact.

Yeah really. If I quoted something a month old then oh well. I didn't notice what you said until Bailey died laughing when he quoted Austin saying he didn't know who bullied you as a child. I clicked the button to see why Austin said that and it took me back to when he said it. That's when I saw he was responding to you saying "Control" was the weakest link. I never realized you said that until now so that's why I quoted it

Yeah really. If I quoted something a month old then oh well. I didn't notice what you said until Bailey died laughing when he quoted Austin saying he didn't know who bullied you as a child. I clicked the button to see why Austin said that and it took me back to when he said it. That's when I saw he was responding to you saying "Control" was the weakest link. I never realized you said that until now so that's why I quoted it

But if you're going to reserect a debate/discussion that's already over if you're not contributing anything that would have weight on the argument what's the point, the moment's gone, it's now just wasting time. 

• 5 weeks later...

Rolling Stone: The 30 Sexiest Music Videos of All Time

5. Janet Jackson, "Any Time, Any Place"

Janet Jackson's fantasy life gets top billing in 1994's video for "Any Time, Any Place," although the lyrics' ideas of getting it on in public are brought indoors, where the R&B superstar and her across-the-hall neighbor engage in erotic play that includes strawberries and steam on their terms. The clip also doubled as an ad for the ways that safe sex could be fun – "any time, any place ......be responsible," the screen admonishes after the final lingering image of Jackson fades out.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-30-sexiest-music-videos-of-all-time-w504065/janet-jackson-any-time-any-place-w504133

• Upvote 3

Rolling Stone: The 30 Sexiest Music Videos of All Time

5. Janet Jackson, "Any Time, Any Place"

Janet Jackson's fantasy life gets top billing in 1994's video for "Any Time, Any Place," although the lyrics' ideas of getting it on in public are brought indoors, where the R&B superstar and her across-the-hall neighbor engage in erotic play that includes strawberries and steam on their terms. The clip also doubled as an ad for the ways that safe sex could be fun – "any time, any place ......be responsible," the screen admonishes after the final lingering image of Jackson fades out.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-30-sexiest-music-videos-of-all-time-w504065/janet-jackson-any-time-any-place-w504133

That's cool she made it into the top 5 of all time. I'm actually surprised this made it in before "If" but then again I would get embarrassed watching this around other people. I remember my cousin asked me if Janet and the guy were really having sex when she was sitting on top of him on the couch with that dress on. 

That's cool she made it into the top 5 of all time. I'm actually surprised this made it in before "If" but then again I would get embarrassed watching this around other people. I remember my cousin asked me if Janet and the guy were really having sex when she was sitting on top of him on the couch with that dress on. 

“If” wasn’t “sexy” in the same way

You could've responded without quoting. :sigh:

• 1 month later...

Best American Music Awards Performances No. 16: Janet Jackson Honors Brother Michael With 'Together Again' at the 2009 AMAs

10/27/2017 by Bryan Rolli

janet-jackson-amas-live-2009-billboard-1
Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images
Janet Jackson performs onstage at the 2009 American Music Awards at Nokia Theatre L.A. Live on Nov. 22, 2009 in Los Angeles. 

In honor of the 2017 American Music Awards, Billboard is counting down the best performances from the awards show’s history. Here is No. 16.

The 2000s did not treat Janet Jacksonkindly -- or fairly. The superstar bore the brunt of the backlash surrounding the "Nipplegate" fiasco during her 2004 Super Bowl performance with Justin Timberlake, subsequently being banned from attending the Grammys that year and suffering diminishing sales on subsequent albums. 

Thus, the stakes were high when Jackson took the stage on Nov. 22, 2009 at the 37th Annual American Music Awards. The R&B/pop powerhouse rose to the challenge, determined to rewrite her narrative and demanding the respect and adoration she deserved.

Entering atop a rotating stage to rapturous applause, Jackson marches down the steps and immediately bursts into a career-spanning medley of hits. She kicks off with a one-two punch of “Control” and “What Have You Done for Me Lately,” off her 1986 breakout Control. She then breezes through funky cuts off 1989’s Janet Jackson’s Rhythm Nation 1814 and 1993’s Janet before teasing a new song, “Make Me,” off her 2009 compilation, Number Ones.  

The performance boasts relatively minimal stage production, letting Jackson’s expert choreography shine. She leads a pack of backup dancers through several rapid-fire movements, occasionally breaking off to wring screams of audience approval from the sides of the stage. 

The most poignant moment of the medley, however, comes during the final number, “Together Again” off 1997’s The Velvet Rope. Jackson dedicates the song to her brother, Michael, who died on June 25, 2009. She bids the audience to sing along to the emotional chorus: “Dancin’ in the moonlight / I know you are free / ‘Cause I see your star / Shinin’ down on me.”

At that moment, Jackson paid tribute to her brother in the most fitting way possible and reminded the world of her status as a pop legend. 

http://www.billboard.com/articles/events/amas/8014948/janet-jackson-american-music-awards-performance-michael-tribute-best-list

• Upvote 4