Cancelled: 'Smash', 'The New Normal' & 'Happy Endings'

TwistedElegance™

News broke yesterday that NBC had chosen not to renew its shows The New Normal and Smash for the 2013-2014 season. ABC also chose not to renew Happy Endings.

The New Normal, the semi-autobiographical comedy from Glee‘s Ryan Murphy, had caused controversy during its run with conservative watchdog groups declaring the show, which centred around a gay couple starting a family with a surrogate, inappropriate for its time slot.

Smash received overwhelmingly positive reviews upon its pilot’s airing, but failed to maintain that success. The series revolved around a fictional New York theatre community and specifically the creation of a new Broadway musical. It featured a large ensemble cast, led by Debra Messing, Katharine McPhee and Anjelica Huston. Most critics have cited the deterioration of the quality of the show in comparison to its pilot attributed to it’s demise.

Happy Endings premiered in 2011 to mixed reviews, with claims it was the same as every other relationship sitcom, particularly Friends. The show followed the dysfunctional adventures of six best friends living in Chicago. By its third season, however, Rolling Stone went as fas as to say, ‘the most underrated, under-watched series on TV, that may also be the funniest’.

Gay-friendly TV suffers a huge blow from the cancellation of these shows. Not only did they feature gay lead characters, but they presented a different version of reality that is lacking from many successful shows at present.

http://sosogay.co.uk/2013/us-networks-cancel-smash-the-new-normal-and-happy-endings/

I never got around to watching TNN or HE but I'm really disappointed over 'Smash' getting the axe. I loved the first season.

UGH, I love Happy Endings! That show is so funny, what I love about it is it isn't a Friends copycat. It's it's own show. And Damon Jr....Sad, but I saw it coming, this last season has been hot & cold for me.

I only liked New Normal for Nene (the show itself was so damn corny), & never liked Smash, despite I liked what I heard from JHud in the commercials.

lacking in gay caricatures is more like it, stop making gay people White upper class men who drink fine wines and throw fabulous dinner parties, the shit is tired Ima need some real shit ...thats why this stuff keeps fucking up, its not gay life as I know it, certainly not gay life as many here know it

lacking in gay caricatures is more like it, stop making gay people White upper class men who drink fine wines and throw fabulous dinner parties, the shit is tired Ima need some real shit ...thats why this stuff keeps fucking up, its not gay life as I know it, certainly not gay life as many here know it

I agree, this show sucked tbh. Ryan Murphy is really getting tired with his one-viewed gay agenda, he needs to stick to American Horror Story.

there's different types of "gay life"... they can't appeal to yours bc it's not as appealing as two rich gay men

believe it or not.. a lot of gays love to have dinner parties... nothing wrong with that... it's life... its better on television than gays going to clubs and drinking and fucking

• Upvote 1

there's different types of "gay life"... they can't appeal to yours bc it's not as appealing as two rich gay men

believe it or not.. a lot of gays love to have dinner parties... nothing wrong with that... it's life... its better on television than gays going to clubs and drinking and fucking

So gay men are either having dinner parties or are raging deviant whores. Great :rolleyes:

and Im not disagreeing with that, what I am saying is TV is not putting out what the majority of gay men are going thru, its just not there...why is the only representations White dudes that look like brothers aka "Queer Life" and these uppity guys sipping wine? All I'm saying is where are the other gays? WE ARE OUT HERE and we want a voice
  • Upvote 1