Happy Birthday Goddess Janet Jackson Al Mana!

HAPPY JANET DAY TO ALL YOUS MUTHA FUCKAS!!!!

LetTheChurchSayAmen-vi.gif

How are you all spending it? Im debating whether to watch all her music videos, conecerts or movies...I did movies last year so that's out, I think I'll do a mix of videos and concerts, cause it hit me recently it's had to be at lease 5 yrs since I've watched the RN & TVR tour in their entirety.

I've listened to TVR so far. I may listen to the albums that must not be named later during lunch...

I used to go down my Janet playlist all day, but since 2010, I've been listening to her music/my playlists with all her songs so much thats like a weekly thing lol, Thus why new music is NEEDED LOL

Happy Birthday to an idea, to life itself. Although most black history is suppressed, distorted or ignored by an ungrateful rhythm.less nation, on this day of May 16th....a new African tradition was so persistent that all the power and deception of the Western academic, political and social establishment failed to stamp them out. One such story is that of a Janet, that's Miss Jackson if you nasty. So today in honor of the birth of a supreme African Goddess of Music, Dance, Poetry and Unity, know that with music by your side...you can break color lines, by lending a hand...you can help your brother do his best, and if things get worse...you have the power to make them better just give a damn and work together..cmon now.

• Upvote 2

Happy Birthday to an idea, to life itself. Although most black history is suppressed, distorted or ignored by an ungrateful rhythm.less nation, on this day of May 16th....a new African tradition was so persistent that all the power and deception of the Western academic, political and social establishment failed to stamp them out. One such story is that of a Janet, that's Miss Jackson if you nasty. So today in honor of the birth of a supreme African Goddess of Music, Dance, Poetry and Unity, know that with music by your side...you can break color lines, by lending a hand...you can help your brother do his best, and if things get worse...you have the power to make them better just give a damn and work together..cmon now.

Preach the Janesis!

2418801_03_2010_TT_janetjackson1.jpg

Style Icon: Janet Jackson

janet-jackson-style-icon-new.jpg

Janet Jackson's style evolution from 1982 to 2002.

Photo: Getty Images

Happy 47th Birthday Janet Jackson! To consecrate this hallowed occasion, MTV Style commemorates the icon's most legendary style moments.*

As a youngin,

Janet Jackson was just the cute baby sister of her superstar brother crew, and her child-style was tethered to their garish-ass '70s costumes. Her showbiz debut was at the age of seven on the stage of the MGM in Vegas, and by nine she was performing on the CBS variety show The Jacksons, dressed in gossamer pants and lamé vests over turtlenecks, cutesy ensembles chosen specifically to match her bros' performative bell bottoms. God bless, but GOOD GOD. Soon enough, she ended up as Penny on Good Times and got to bust loose in clothes that didn't make her look like a tiny genie fresh out the bottle, wearing normal-kid flared '70s collars and dy-no-mite wool plaids and, on one occasion, a ruffle sleeved overall that looks like it inspired the entire Free People line. She was, for a time, America's little sis, and America dressed her like it.

But something happened on the way to Diff'rent Strokes, the '80s sitcom about a rich white guy adopting two young black kids (what?), on which Janet played Charlene Duprey, Todd Bridges' fine young girlfriend: she emerged as a style icon. As one of the only black women on TV portrayed in a positive light, girls all across the country started cribbing her inimitable style: a demure bob with gilded hoop earrings and a teen version of that '80 secretary look that was so popular: bow shirts, peter pan collars,

embroidered back pockets on jeans.

The early '80s were a time when you could be ten years old and dress like you were 35, but Janet made it palatable and cute, a little bit preppy as opposed to chained-behind-a-desk schoolmarm. And as she came into her own, she broke out, merging Charlene Duprey's style into her own.

74275479-1982-janet-jackson-los-angeles.jpg

Janet Jackson in 1982.

Well, with a little more flair: those kiss socks are the most.

Then came Control. The album that established Janet as a pop star was all about growing up and becoming a woman—she didn't want us to look at her as

Michael's little sister anymore—so she needed serious rock star estilo to match. The first video from that album was bad-boyfriend dis song "What Have You Done For Me Lately"—and the first time my old ass caught a glimpse of her in full effect. IT WAS A REVELATION. Not only did a mondo-AquaNetted, pre-pop star Paula Abdul play her commiserating homegirl, Janet debuted the new wave menswear look that she'd carry through her life: gigantic hair, shoulder-padded blazer, chambray vest and a reclamation of the gold lamé she was draped in so early in life, in the form of an oxford buttondown and a stack of gilded bangles.

THIS WAS '80s POWER-DRESSING at its least starchy, and for me and all of the other old-ass people who witnessed it, the Control era was an instruction manual in how to become the badass, no-shorts-taking girl next door. Even when she was going casual, she looked super tough—

Cassie's "Me & U" video wanted to be the "Pleasure Principle" video so bad, but it was missing the allover denim, kneepads, and Adidas Sambas.

Also, she sometimes wore a key on her hoop earring and looked like an extra from

The Breakfast Club:

janet-jackson-1987-blog.jpg

Janet Jackson in 1987.

For her second album Rhythm Nation 1814, she took her menswear even further. It was a concept album about a world in which social disparity is eradicated, so Janet went in for the military hardware and the world flipped. "

Rhythm Nation," the song, was so influential that in my dance classes at the time, the teacher would dedicate hours to teaching us the dance from the video, and everyone wanted to dress like her—black leggings, military jackets, ballcaps. She had her own personal Rhythm Nation hardware and bondage straps; I can't figure out or remember if she predated the Boy London hardware caps, but both were around the same time, and she was influential enough that it's not unlikely her steez gave them the idea.

111036681-janet-jackson-hollywood-1990.jpg

Janet Jackson in 1990.

This is not to say she didn't have a softer side. "Love Will Never Do" was one of the biggest singles from Rhythm Nation 1814, and the fleshy video, released in 1991, established her as a bona fide sex symbol. She was all draped up in iconic early '90s fashion, in an outfit that could have been in a

Guess ad with Claudia Schiffer: a simple bustier and jeans playing up the essential Bardotness of her swept-up hair and bandana. Off-set, though, she couldn't resist pulling together the look with her signature man-jacket (cropped, as they often were) and major belt that probably weighed 42 pounds. Her sexiness always comes with a few rough edges—but that's part of what makes her an icon. No one dressed like her in the business, but everyone wanted to.

111036757-janet-jackson-santa-monica-1990.jpg

Janet Jackson in 1990.

In 1993, Janet went back into acting with the era-defining John Singleton movie

Poetic Justice, in which she played a Nuyorican-style poetess-slash-love interest for the incredibly fly Tupac and his godforsakenly fine abdominals. (RIP Pac.) Of course she needed a natural look—the film dovetailed with the '90s African pride movement, in which everyone and their Native Tongues wore a leather necklace depicting the mother continent—so she went with long box braids and a floppy newsboy cap. Translated to the street, it was the same deal—baggy Girbaud jeans, boots (usually Doc Martens, aka "the Jodeci boot"), the everloving giant silver belt, and a baby tee, looking like she just stepped off the pages of Sassy magazine. (Bonus points to the woman behind her in the long floral grunge dress and paparazzi side-eye.)

111036810-janet-jackson-hollywood-1992.jpg

Janet Jackson in 1992.

Remember Janet the Sex Symbol? Though she has remained loyal to her signature menswear over the years, when she's got to gussy up, she takes no prisoners. This gorgeous bias-cut gown at the 2002 Essence Awards is the first example of her wearing gleaming white on the red carpet, and she's done it

ever since. She knows it looks gorgeous with her skin tone, and it's a nice, formal contrast to her usual uniform of black on black on black (on brown).

93388722-janet-jackson-cali-2002.jpg

Janet Jackson in 2002.

OOPS, except for when she's wearing designs by her lifelong friend,

Alexander McQueen. (RIP, Lee.) He was the first person to ever invite her to a fashion show in the late 1990s (if the lateness of that timeline seems unusual, recall that back then, runway shows were not the celebrity-pocked s**tshows they are now—the only people who usually attended were fashion editors and buyers). He dressed her through the years, and even got her out of her neutral hues and into this stunning, gradient kimono dress, which she wore to the opening of his Los Angeles retailer in 2008.

81077589janet-jackson-alexander-mcqueen-los-angeles-2008.jpg

Janet Jackson in 2008.

Janet's a fashion icon in part because she's kept it consistent, and made certain styles her own. In 2008, on the "Rock Witchu" tour with Nelly, she kept to her military theme, but updated it for the new Millennium.

Beyonce may cop custom, extra-padded Stuart Weitzmans to accommodate all the dancing in her performances, but Janet ain't got time for all that. Stuart Weitzman, meet Jacob Bloch. No fronting, just a silvery Tin Man dance shoe and a bodysuit that looks like she just ejected herself from a space carrier on Planet Philip K. Dick. (Why didn't anyone wear this costume to the Met Ball?) The most touching part of this outfit, and the entirety of her fashion archive, is that even after getting away from the matchy-matchy costumes of her brothers, she still hewed close to the style of her brother Michael. They both loved military, menswear, and the color black—and the best example of this is their unforgettable "Scream" video, which cost $7 million to make, at least some of which was spent on matching nubby sweaters and patent leather pants. Its scenes were replicated in videos by everyone from TLC to Missy Elliott to Madonna, underscoring America's fundamental truth: everybody in pop really just wants to be a Jackson.

janet-jackson-michael-jackson-scream-1995.jpg

• Upvote 3

The lessors are already paying Homage

Britney Spears @britneyspears

Happy happy birthday to @JanetJackson!! I've been part of the #RhythmNation for as long as i can remember!!

I love it when a lessor whose stanbase consists on trolls who hate Janet comes out and pays homage

#oop

69532480148818649832_zps38ea1167.gif

• Upvote 2

From TheLavaLizard

The Pop Culture Impact of Janet Jackson’s ‘Velvet Rope’

janet-jackson-velvet-rope-thelavalizard.png

Janet Jackson’s ‘The Velvet Rope’ album cover

We have discussed Janet Jackson’s many contributions to the entertainment industry in numerous articles here on The Lava Lizard but as we celebrate the icon’s 47th birthday today, there is period of her incredible career that deserves particular attention. Yes, as you guessed from the iconic artwork, I’m referring to The Velvet Rope.

Jackson had established herself as an undeniable force on the charts as well as on the tour circuit in the early 1990s but as the decade introduced a string of young acts all eager to follow in her footsteps, artistic progression became a necessity. What resulted from months of deep introspection was a bolder, more unapologetic Jackson who transcended beyond the proverbial Pop music rat race with an album that crossed genre borders and appealed to all ages in the 16 to 45 years bracket.

Indeed, The Velvet Rope represented artistic evolution and introduced Jackson as a mature artist. With clever writing and production, Jackson disguised serious social issues, such as domestic abuse, homophobia and the devastating losses caused by HIV/AIDS, in a veil of sultry melodies and basslines on an album that was undeniably ahead of its time.

Jackson also challenged ideals governing female sexuality with her daring performances, videos and styling that further defined the cultural significance of both The Velvet Rope and 1990s era of second wave feminism. Bordering on raunchy without crossing the line into Hookerville (governed by Madonna), Jackson’s brand of sex appeal stemmed from her flirtation with the art during the janet. period of her career, which had already inspired the works of TLC, Aaliyah and even Mariah Carey.

janet-jackson-rihanna-thelavalizard.jpg

Janet Jackson vs Rihanna: spot the similarities.

That last point of our lengthy yet crucial reflection on The Velvet Rope brings us to the bottom line of this piece: Jackson’s work has influenced performers of her time and beyond, particularly the visual artists of the current generation. Despite often being unfavourably compared to Madonna in rankings of important female Pop stars, there is no denying that Jackson has contributed to the blueprint to which many acts adhere, as exemplified by those who have emulated the branding of The Velvet Rope.

From Beyonce and Kelly Rowland to Rihanna and Ciara, there have been dozens of artists who either knowingly or unknowingly adapted aspects of The Velvet Rope to their own projects. They copy Jackson’s fashions, performances, singing style and vocal arrangements, thus proving that the work she put forward wasn’t dated or confined to any specific period of time – a problem that grossly affected the material she released during the 1980s. Remember when 1998 Jackson performance of “I Get Lonely” was ripped off by Rowland at the 2011 BET Awards?

It is quite unfortunate that the media in the post-2004 Super Bowl era of Jackson’s career have tried to diminish the significance of her impact on Pop culture, especially since Madonna has been repeatedly excused for doing far worse than just flashing a breast on television for half a second. What has resulted is a level of ignorance by music fans who are too young to remember The Velvet Rope era and praise they favourite artists for blatantly copying Jackson’s work with little credit given to the original.

Still, even if critics refuse to acknowledge the impact of The Velvet Rope, it won’t change the fact that the record stands as one of the important releases of the last 30 years of recorded music. The material is still relevant to radio and could easily be adapted to radio today. Just ask Drake because as the majority of his catalogue proves, he’s clearly a fan.

Before we go, watch Jackson’s entire The Velvet Rope Tour below and see where your favourite female artist under 35 years learned her moves:

http://youtu.be/OP0X80gEAj0