For Colored Girls...

i just wanna note.. that during the first sex scene.. these two old couples left the theater :lmao:

i agree with iJanet yet i disagree...

Janet's role should have been more... much much more... i feel like this wasn't Janet's strongest acting, at first... i felt like the WDIGM(t) were better... during her scene from the previews and a few before.. she was really really great but in the very beginning.. not so much..

Phylicia's role was the best.. hands down.. she played it soo well...

AND what Tyler Perry did succeed to do... was make me NOT think this was a Tyler Perry film...

3.5/5

i just wanna note.. that during the first sex scene.. these two old couples left the theater :lmao:

i agree with iJanet yet i disagree...

Janet's role should have been more... much much more... i feel like this wasn't Janet's strongest acting, at first... i felt like the WDIGM(t) were better... during her scene from the previews and a few before.. she was really really great but in the very beginning.. not so much..

Phylicia's role was the best.. hands down.. she played it soo well...

AND what Tyler Perry did succeed to do... was make me NOT think this was a Tyler Perry film...

3.5/5

How?! :blink: I could tell by the direction alone. Then the writing, you could clearly separate what was Ntozake's and what was his. And dear God, the scene where Janet was on the phone at dinner made me sick to my stomach. "Baby I know we had a fight last night..." Really, bitch? :umm: Who says that?

I agree about Janet's acting, but I blame Tyler. All of the actresses struggled to a certain degree, some more than others, because of the material they were given. You can't do but so well if your character has no sense of individuality and has lines that vague.

Dead horse, Janet needs to get away from Tyler. If she can find a movie that gives her a more unique character and doesn't focus on a million other characters at the same time, I think she'd surprise us all. Evidence is in her first crying scene, when she was going on about her specific pains in reference to Kimberly, I honestly believed it.

How?! :blink: I could tell by the direction alone. Then the writing, you could clearly separate what was Ntozake's and what was his. And dear God, the scene where Janet was on the phone at dinner made me sick to my stomach. "Baby I know we had a fight last night..." Really, bitch? :umm: Who says that?

I agree about Janet's acting, but I blame Tyler. All of the actresses struggled to a certain degree, some more than others, because of the material they were given. You can't do but so well if your character has no sense of individuality and has the most vague lines.

Dead horse, Janet needs to get away from Tyler. If she can find a movie that gives her a more unique character and doesn't focus on a million other characters at the same time, I think she'd surprise us all. Evidence is in her first crying scene, when she was going on about her specific pains in reference to Kimberly, I honestly believed it.

compared to his other movies... i didn't know, or forgot (at times) that it was a TP film...

I didn't like a lot of the dialogue... including the phone call... again... i think he has waaay too many hands in his films.. he needs to hire other people.. either to write or direct his movies

compared to his other movies... i didn't know, or forgot (at times) that it was a TP film...

I didn't like a lot of the dialogue... including the phone call... again... i think he has waaay too many hands in his films.. he needs to hire other people.. either to write or direct his movies

True.

He need not ever write again. Whew Lawd.

I agree about Janet's acting, but I blame Tyler. All of the actresses struggled to a certain degree, some more than others, because of the material they were given. You can't do but so well if your character has no sense of individuality and has lines that vague.

A lot of people say that.. :mellow:

A lot of people say that.. :mellow:

Not in that context, at least not anyone I know. You could tell he purposefully put it in there, especially when paired with the close-up on her face and her being decked out in diamonds, makeup, and silk sitting alone at a restaurant. It made me cringe.

I'm very, very disappointed because I had read the book and expected so much out of this, I'm not overreacting. Critics too are attacking Tyler (and not the actresses) because he dropped the ball. He had a brilliant work of art and a slew of talented actresses to work with and he still couldn't get out of his soap opera mentality.

maybe i'm cold.. but not even once did i shed a tear.. hell.. in WDIGM(t).. i damn near cried... lol

It's not you. :lol: Ooh naw gerl...

Not in that context, at least not anyone I know. You could tell he purposefully put it in there, especially when paired with the close-up on her face and her being decked out in diamonds, makeup, and silk sitting alone at a restaurant. It made me cringe.

I'm very, very disappointed because I had read the book and expected so much out of this, I'm not overreacting. Critics too are attacking Tyler (and not the actresses) because he dropped the ball. He had a brilliant work of art and a slew of talented actresses to work with and he still couldn't get out of his soap opera mentality.

It's not you. :lol: Ooh naw gerl...

Critics don't mean shit, it's the people paying money that matters. And so far they love it.

Critics don't mean shit, it's the people paying money that matters. And so far they love it.

At the end of the day, that's very true, but I guarantee you very few of the people who have seen the movie have seen the play or read the book. Maybe I'm over-analytical, but when I watch a movie, the material and the performances have to be strong enough to make me believe in the story and/or character. It's blatantly obvious to me if one or the other is lacking.

At the end of the day, that's very true, but I guarantee you very few of the people who have seen the movie have seen the play or read the book. Maybe I'm over-analytical, but when I watch a movie, the material and the performances have to be strong enough to make me believe in the story and/or character. It's blatantly obvious to me if one or the other is lacking.

A lot of black women going to see this movie either saw the play back then or read the book and they still loved it..

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!! I am so all over the place right now that i'll just leave it at that...somebody please give Kimberly Elise her fuckin award...by FAR Kimberly, Janet, and Phylicia....honey sista muthafuckin girl!!!! oh yes and Macy...her ass DID that!!! I can't even go to bed...i'm just...wow

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!! I am so all over the place right now that i'll just leave it at that...somebody please give Kimberly Elise her fuckin award...by FAR Kimberly, Janet, and Phylicia....honey sista muthafuckin girl!!!! oh yes and Macy...her ass DID that!!! I can't even go to bed...i'm just...wow

I loved Phylicia in this movie :excited: :excited:

A lot of black women going to see this movie either saw the play back then or read the book and they still loved it..

I doubt that. I don't know, this should have been for "colored girls" what Angels In America is for the gay community (though it touched on much more), popular or not. Tyler really fucked this up, I'm sorry to say. He wanted his own Precious and ended up with a negrafied telenovela.

Not yet. I have so much work to do for school it's not even funny.

I feel you beux.

I doubt that. I don't know, this should have been for "colored girls" what Angels In America is for the gay community (though it touched on much more), popular or not. Tyler really fucked this up, I'm sorry to say. He wanted his own Precious and ended up with a negrafied telenovela.

I feel you beux.

all the "colored girls" that were at the movie and that i've spoken to LOVE the movie and are truly moved by the film...they are on twitter going crazy over the film...black men are praising the movie telling other black men to go see it with an open mind and try to understand what the message is...saying if you are an immature person, you will not understand the meaning...I think the audience it was for understood it and were touched by it...just like what Monique said about Precious..."everybody will not get it and that wasn't the intention...the people who needed to get it, got it"...as a "colored girl" I damn sure got it...I saw so much of myself, mainly my old self, and people I know in those characters...

all the "colored girls" that were at the movie and that i've spoken to LOVE the movie and are truly moved by the film...they are on twitter going crazy over the film...black men are praising the movie telling other black men to go see it with an open mind and try to understand what the message is...saying if you are an immature person, you will not understand the meaning...I think the audience it was for understood it and were touched by it...just like what Monique said about Precious..."everybody will not get it and that wasn't the intention...the people who needed to get it, got it"...as a "colored girl" I damn sure got it...I saw so much of myself, mainly my old self, and people I know in those characters...

And I completely understand that. As Blatin said, that's what matters, not critics or sales figures. But the heart of the play/book was lost, with some other very important messages as well. All I'm saying is that it could have been better and I expected the best considering the movie's derivative.

And I completely understand that. As Blatin said, that's what matters, not critics or sales figures. But the heart of the play/book was lost, with some other very important messages as well. All I'm saying is that it could have been better and I expected the best considering the movie's derivative.

well turning a play into a film and trying to get all these story out in 2 hours...I expected some things to be lost in that shuffle...I felt like I walked away with what I needed to walk away with from the film...my straight male friend just texted me "so you the one doing the bending?" iLIVE lmao

well turning a play into a film and trying to get all these story out in 2 hours...I expected some things to be lost in that shuffle...I felt like I walked away with what I needed to walk away with from the film...my straight male friend just texted me "so you the one doing the bending?" iLIVE lmao

Well that's what counts.

LMFAO YES.

Lawd and the part where someone asked Janet about putting Rihanna on the front of the magazine?! "We could put Rihanna on the fro--" "Uh no, that won't work." Subliminal shade LMAO. I was the only one laughing.

Well that's what counts.

LMFAO YES.

Lawd and the part where someone asked Janet about putting Rihanna on the front of the magazine?! "We could put Rihanna on the fro--" "Uh no, that won't work." Subliminal shade LMAO. I was the only one laughing.

yeah, and I can definitely see where some would be disappointed with the film...I think you will either really love it or you will flat out think it's a fail...I don't think this a movie that leaves room for much of a gray area

oh I LOVED the shade...I was like "Janet wrote that line her gawd damn self" lol

This was a great movie.Each actress held down their part completely and showed different facets of being a black female and the struggles that entails.And to bring the poetry into the movie with todays audience that is so dummed down was greatly appreciated.To show black opera singers instead of the cliche' hip hop and dancing was refreshing.And to feature such strong black actresses who know how hard it is to get a job in hollywood is an accomplishment in itself.There were women crying in the audience I was in - maybe they had been raped or maybe they had been in an abusive relationship. Kimberly Elise was mos def the strongest performance but all of the women delivered.

I saw it, and I LOVED it.

Now I say that having not read the source material, nonetheless, it was VERY good.

Perhaps some of the critics comments are motivated somewhat by...other issues...but most definitely it's bias against Tyler, because to call this film a "trainwreck" (as one reviewer wrote)...I just don't understand it.

They should just go ahead and give Kimberly her Oscar! Simply amazing (though knowing Hollywood, she won't even be nominated)

Janhova was GREAT! :blush: I just wished she was given more screen time, but great performance nonetheless.

i absolutely LOVE the movie :excited:

"I REBUKE U IN THE NAME EBO-NA-HEEM!!"...............whoopie goldberg is a certified hot mess :lmao:

i'm going back 2 see the film 2morrow !!! did yall see Jnaet's husband gettin head in his car, underneath

the bridge---SCANDALOUS :wtf: she definitely set his ass on FIYAAAH @ the end..............PIECE OF SHIT :angry:

QUESTION: does anyone think that Mariah could've play the role of Tangie & pull it off.............the jury is

still out on this one.