You guys celebrating Lent?

jarrylf

I am for the 1st time, way excited not in the traditional religious way but just to try something new and extreme for 44 days. Im giving up sugar (processed ofcourse), flour, carbs (except beans), dairy, alcohol, and caffiene (except with some teas). Theres a link specifically with everything Im giving up but I can't find it at this sec.

Just to give a whole life style a try and as extreme as it is, it's not impossible, I've done similar (against my will as a teenager lol), and I've been introducing healthier options for a while, but I wanna give this a shot.

Any of you ever give something up for Lent and how did that go if yes?

When does it start?

This upcoming Weds (3/7-4/17)

I always wanted to do something this extreme for this long! I love a good persistence challenge with myself and have never failed 1.

I do ramadan every year

My fam practiced that for like a short period of time when I was little, I like that 1 too, but I prefer eating in the night so it works for me, maybe I'll go the actual distance this year or next.

So you give it up for a month and go back to using once it's over???

40 days and I suppose yes you can go back. I think the idea is to withstand something long enough you no longer need it. A habit is made or broken in 30 days.

• Upvote 1

Im not Catholic, so I don't know much about the practice of Lent, but hey if I could give something up it would be drinking...sure why not make it a group thing, we all state what we are giving up and see how it goes, just go say 30 days or something...30 days no drink would be the longest for me since 2007

Im not Catholic, so I don't know much about the practice of Lent, but hey if I could give something up it would be drinking...sure why not make it a group thing, we all state what we are giving up and see how it goes, just go say 30 days or something...30 days no drink would be the longest for me since 2007

It's not all Catholicism, it's symbolic of Jesus spending 40 days in the desert. I must admit I haven't given up something every year - last year I couldn't decide - but I think it's good to try, it shows we don't have to have a dependency on anything.

It's not all Catholicism, it's symbolic of Jesus spending 40 days in the desert. I must admit I haven't given up something every year - last year I couldn't decide - but I think it's good to try, it shows we don't have to have a dependency on anything.

well I respect that, but I guess what I'm asking here is when did this practice of Lent become a popular thing to do for people not practicing Catholicism? I never gave anything up for Lent specifically and barely know anyone who has. :unsure:

well if Jesus spent 40 days in a desert Im sure he didn't have much to drink....so drinking it is :cheers:

Ok well I don't know about all that but I know lots of non-Christian people who usually do, some give up the same thing every year. I do know I didn't get any damn pancakes last year because I'd just started my diet :lmao:

Ok well I don't know about all that but I know lots of non-Christian people who usually do, some give up the same thing every year. I do know I didn't get any damn pancakes last year because I'd just started my diet :lmao:

you did so well on your diet too, Im proud and happy for you.....I am honestly dieting too, because my drinking has caught up to me, and I need to lose about 20 lbs

That's great your giving it a try Bailey, I always said for years like when I 1st learned about it as a teenager (through seeing that delightful movie Chocolat) that I'd give up SOMETHING, but then I never went through with it, but I decided this year HELL NO, def doing it and doing it big to also make up for all the times I didn't and for a major lifestyle change experiment. Its really interesting to see what happens after when its time to re-introduce things, and see how I react to certain things. I know when I dont have fast food & sugars for a LONG time it feels like junk when I have it again, and with this I'll have never gone this long without sugar/junkfood in general.

• Upvote 1

That's great your giving it a try Bailey, I always said for years like when I 1st learned about it as a teenager (through seeing that delightful movie Chocolat) that I'd give up SOMETHING, but then I never went through with it, but I decided this year HELL NO, def doing it and doing it big to also make up for all the times I didn't and for a major lifestyle change experiment. Its really interesting to see what happens after when its time to re-introduce things, and see how I react to certain things. I know when I dont have fast food & sugars for a LONG time it feels like junk when I have it again, and with this I'll have never gone this long without sugar/junkfood in general.

great post, I wish you well on your journey, I think its kinda cool, this isn't like trying to do a "True You" get in shape deal, because that was more involved and on going, this has a start and a finish, with a limited number of days a little over a month.....I just don't know how I will go without a drink, unless I see changes in my body and feel better I may embrace it