Emoji Racial Equality for Apple Users

Apple will update its library of emoticons and smileys, called emojis, to fill a diversity gap, which saw no characters depicting African-American users.

After thinking about what Tahj wrote, I decided to go straight to the top of Apple to find out if they were planning to issue a new, more diverse, set of emojis. So who better to reach out to than Apple CEO Tim Cook? Within a day we got a response! After Tim read my email, he forwarded it on to Katie Cotton, vice president of worldwide corporate communications for Apple.

Katie told [Mtv Act] exclusively:

“Tim forwarded your email to me. We agree with you. Our emoji characters are based on the Unicode standard, which is necessary for them to be displayed properly across many platforms. There needs to be more diversity in the emoji character set, and we have been working closely with the Unicode Consortium in an effort to update the standard.”

We’re stoked that they’re working to update the emojis (insert clapping hands, y’all!) but there’s no word yet on a planned rollout date. As always, Apple is keeping us in suspense, but here’s hoping it’s sooner than, say, the … iPhone 20.

Emojis are based on a unicode character set, which allows them to be displayed across platforms. Changes or additions to this character set must go through the Unicode Consortium.

Apple's emojis depict a range of objects, moods and people including art for LGBT couples, something that was included in its last update. While many users may have felt the lack of diversity with emojis.

Fucking finally.. :umm:

Sooooo I'm going to go ahead and assume neither of you have an iPhone and/or iPad

anigif_enhanced-buzz-9900-1382207985-0_zpsac688d66.gif

I have one of each, and I've told you that. :rolleyes: I still don't think this is at all necessary. It's just an emoji for goodness sake. :coffee: What next? Asian emojis? Native American emojis?