How would you handle this?

Bailey

...okay so at work one of our co-workers has breast cancer, and the people put together a fund raiser for her, which involved sales reps, crew, doctors and whoever else wanted to show up. The charity event was a hockey game with a raffle, so my boss wanted to dress up as a female cheerleader. Now everyone knew because he had this idea and let everyone know he was gonna be in full "dress up" mode. Now I knew the shit was not going to go over well, no one told him, no one wanted to they were going to let him go thru it and laugh about it. I took the time to take him to the side tell him NO don't do that, its not about you its about our co-worker with breast cancer so just dress normal and come to the event. Well my boss is also a drunk, so he had to have someone drive him there, so I said i would do that, but he wasn't going to get drunk and be a mess. I get to the event with my boss and everyone above him is there, and they are all like "thank you for talking him out of that" and "please tell me you're driving" I was sorta out the loop like damn they know he get down like that? So we do the event, and the people are going to a bar after, I had no idea about a bar after and frankly I was not "babysitting" anymore so I took his ass home. He sat in the car facing the passenger window pouting like a child told me "Im bored, and I wanna go to the bar they at" ...he already been drinking he snuck liquor inside the hockey game, I was like um no you don't need to be drunk in front of your people. So he tells me "you think you're helping me but you're really not" and proceeded to be mad at me! ,,,,I was like fuck it take him home I dont want to hang im out.

I would mind my own business and think about why I can't go more than 2 weeks without needing a drink and let my boss handle himself. It would be very silly for me to try and manage my bosses behaviour when that would put me in a situation where he could resent me.

I would mind my own business and think about why I can't go more than 2 weeks without needing a drink and let my boss handle himself. It would be very silly for me to try and manage my bosses behaviour when that would put me in a situation where he could resent me.

that's pretty fucked up coming from you....but I don't expect better...its very easy to sit and pick someone else apart but I highly doubt if your shit were thrown into the mix you would have ANY room to criticize a soul...as a matter of fact.....you DONT have any room...none...ZERO...Im highly insulted and offended you would make this about me and dare to lash out in some under handed comment directed at me...

Fuck him?! Nobody cared so why would you?

You didnt want to babysit but that's what you ended up doing. Next time do you and let whoever wants to act a fool, act a fool

my thought was I was trying to be this person's friend regardless of what everyone else thought. everyone else would let him go and fall, I thought he deserved better, everyone is human and every human deserves some respect and at the very least someone who gives a damn

my thought was I was trying to be this person's friend regardless of what everyone else thought. everyone else would let him go and fall, I thought he deserved better, everyone is human and every human deserves some respect and at the very least someone who gives a damn

But than he kinda ruined your night because you had to babysit him. You should warn him, let him know that he shouldn't drink etc and keep it moving.

You tried to help him and your friend out and look what happens.

Next time don't do shit, do you, have fun.

• Upvote 1

I think you were very compassionate and I find it admirable. I think up to a certain point you can't really help people if they don't want to be helped. That isn't your fault. That's a choice the person has to make for themselves. It sounds like he's going through a really rough time which may be the cause behind all of the drinking and his reaction to you. I understand wanting to help in that situation, but without his approval there's only so much you can do. That applies to that night and anything further. You had every reason to be frustrated with him after all of that, but give him a little sympathy. If you try to help out in the future, I'd advise to be cautious. It's wonderful to extend compassion to someone, but he is still your boss. You don't want to piss him off to the point he fires you.

• Upvote 3

right now....I'm more upset over Paul's comments, if his idea was "well he drinks so who is he to take the high ground?" I get that, what differs between myself and others , including Paul, is I do NOT present myself as without flaws, and I am at the very least honest, so to throw me under with a back handed comment honestly pisses me off

But than he kinda ruined your night because you had to babysit him. You should warn him, let him know that he shouldn't drink etc and keep it moving.

I respect your shit, because you got sense.....and I get it...maybe I was wrong, maybe I drink too, but I wouldn't go in front of doctors and every boss making more than myself and act an ass, I saw this coming and I simply wanted better for him than that. The fact he can even say I was thinking I was helping meant I was fucking trying...and Im so fucking mad at Paul, like why did he come at me like that?

I think you were very compassionate and I find it admirable. I think up to a certain point you can't really help people if they don't want to be helped. That isn't your fault. That's a choice the person has to make for themselves. It sounds like he's going through a really rough time which may be the cause behind all of the drinking and his reaction to you. I understand wanting to help in that situation, but without his approval there's only so much you can do. That applies to that night and anything further. You had every reason to be frustrated with him after all of that, but give him a little sympathy. If you try to help out in the future, I'd advise to be cautious. It's wonderful to extend compassion to someone, but he is still your boss. You don't want to piss him off to the point he fires you.

thank you....you calmed me down...Paul.....I just want to be cool with, but when you show me zero respect it gives no room for respect ....I don't appreciate that, I was trying to be the one person who said "hey let me tell you what's up" and NOT let him make an ass out of himself...my only surprise was the degree to which it was fucked up

I just know had I took him to this fucking after bar I had no clue about, he would have been a tragedy, he was so wasted he passed out once i took him home, and I just couldn't stay like I drink sure, but I don't go getting outta pocket ...especially in front of people I work FOR!

and I don't believe I could manage my bosses behavior, I thought I could at the least get him to see the bigger picture and avoid the embarrassment .....so maybe Paul is right and I should mind my own fucking business BUT ....my boss did ask me to drive him and so did others, I did so knowingly ...so fuck me right?

Firstly, I'm wishing your co-worker a healthy recovery from breast cancer.

And I think you did the right thing with your boss; you helped him as best you could.

I try, lately I've been seeing the world and people as hopeless even when you mean well others are quick to judge

that's pretty fucked up coming from you....but I don't expect better...its very easy to sit and pick someone else apart but I highly doubt if your shit were thrown into the mix you would have ANY room to criticize a soul...as a matter of fact.....you DONT have any room...none...ZERO...Im highly insulted and offended you would make this about me and dare to lash out in some under handed comment directed at me...

don't change who you are for nobody no matter what anybody says. I think it would be fucked up if you were to let him get all fucked up knowing he has a problem. I think you're a good person for doing that cause that's something I would do. If somebody goes any place with me I feel like I have to make sure they come back with me safe and sound unless they bounce somewhere on their own. Some people don't have any compassion and it's pretty sad.
  • Upvote 2

don't change who you are for nobody no matter what anybody says. I think it would be fucked up if you were to let him get all fucked up knowing he has a problem. I think you're a good person for doing that cause that's something I would do. If somebody goes any place with me I feel like I have to make sure they come back with me safe and sound unless they bounce somewhere on their own. Some people don't have any compassion and it's pretty sad.

thank you, I don't understand the "fuck them" mentality, some people no matter how fucked up they may be deserve someone that seriously cares, I was trying to be that person, when no one else would.