The Official Lana Del Rey Thread

T.C

Lizzie has the #1 album in the country!!!!

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6133901/lana-del-rey-lands-first-no-1-album-on-billboard-200

Singer-songwriter Lana Del Rey captures her first No. 1 album on the Billboard 200, as "Ultraviolence" bows atop the list. The album, which was released June 17, sold 182,000 in the week ending June 22, according to Nielsen SoundScan — her best sales week yet.

Del Rey's arrival is the largest sales week for a female artist since the week ending Dec. 29, 2013, when Beyonce's self-titled album sold 310,000 in its third week on the chart.

"Ultraviolence" follows Del Rey's major-label debut album, "Born to Die," which Polydor/Interscope Records released in January 2012. It debuted and peaked at No. 2 with 77,000 sold in its first week (ending Feb. 5, 2012). Del Rey has also charted two EPs: a self-titled effort that hit No. 20 and "Paradise," which reached No. 10. 

"Born to Die" surpassed 1 million in sales earlier this year in February. Its cumulative total stands at nearly 1.1 million.

Notably, "Ultraviolence" captures the No. 1 slot even though Del Rey hasn't performed on American TV in more than two years. She is seemingly taking the less-is-more approach when it comes to promoting the new set, having done only a handful of U.S. print interviews. She has, however, toured and released a number of music videos for "Ultraviolence." (Del Rey's last U.S. TV performance? The March 22, 2012 edition of "American Idol.")

Conversely, Sam Smith — who was quite visible on TV in the last week — arrives at No. 2 on the Billboard 200 with his debut full-length album, "In the Lonely Hour."

The British singer's set sold 166,000 copies — the largest debut for a solo artist's first album since the week ending Nov. 25, 2012. That week, Phillip Phillips' "The World From the Side of the Moon" launched with 169,000 at No. 4.

During release week, Smith played CBS' "Late Show With David Letterman," ABC's "Good Morning America" and ABC's "The View," in addition to a buzzed-about gig at New York's Apollo Theater (joined by Mary J. Blige). He also did the usual round of radio station visits, as well as an in-store album signing event in New York at Rough Trade NYC.

Smith is currently ridinghigh on a number of Billboard's airplay charts, includingAdult Alternative Songs, where the album's "Stay With Me" rises one rung to No. 1. It also steps 15-14 on Pop Songs, 10-8 on Adult Pop Songs and 21-15 onAdult Contemporary, and debuts at No. 35 on Rhythmic Songs.

Following Smith on the Billboard 200 is rock band Linkin Park, who starts at No. 3 with "The Hunting Party." The album, the group's sixth studio effort, enters with 110,000 sold. Its last studio set, 2012's "Living Things," bowed at No. 1 with 223,000. The new release is the act’s first studio set to miss the top slot since its debut album, "Hybrid Theory," peaked at No. 2 in 2002. All told, Linkin Park has notched five No. 1s (four studio sets, plus a mashups effort with Jay Z: "Collision Course").

The week ending June 22 marks the first frame this year where three albums each sold in excess of 100,000 copies. That last happened in the holiday frame ending Dec. 29, 2013. (The last time it occurred when sales weren't pumped by the Christmas shopping season was the week ending Oct. 6, 2013.)

The "Frozen" soundtrack dips 3-4 with 42,000 (down 15 percent) in its 26th consecutive week in the top five. The last album to string together a longer top five run was Adele's "21," which spent 29 weeks in the region between Dec. 17, 2011 and June 30, 2012. ("21" actually spent 68 total weeks in the top five, with two separate consecutive runs of 39 and 29 frames.)

Back on the Billboard 200, country legend Willie Nelson scores his highest-charting album since 1982 — and only his third solo top 10 — as "Band of Brothers" debuts at No. 6 with 37,000 sold. The set was supported by a well-received concert and promotion with shopping channel QVC. Sources suggest the network contributed a significant portion of the album's first-week sales. Nelson last charted higher with "Always on My Mind," which spent four weeks at No. 2 between July 10 and July 31, 1982.

"Band of Brothers" is Nelson's second top 10 in a row, following the all-star collaborations set "To All the Girls," which debuted and peaked at No. 9 last November. Like "Band of Brothers," the "Girls" album was promoted through QVC. The album, which included guest turns from the likes of Carrie Underwood and Dolly Parton, debuted with 43,000.

Nelson has also collected one other top 10 album: the 1976 collaborations set "Wanted! The Outlaws." The effort, recorded with Waylon Jennings, Jessi Colter and Tompall Glaser, peaked at No. 10.

Miranda Lambert's "Platinum" slides 2-6 on the new chart with 34,000 (down 45 percent) while Jack White's "Lazaretto" falls 1-7 with nearly 34,000 (down 75 percent).

Pop diva Jennifer Lopez nets her eighth top 10 album as "A.K.A." starts at No. 8 with 33,000. Her last studio set, 2011's "Love?," debuted and peaked at No. 5 with 83,000. The arrival of “A.K.A.” is Lopez's smallest sales debut for any of her studio albums, dipping below the 48,000 bow of her Spanish-language set "Como Ama Una Mujer" in 2007.

EDM superstar Deadmau5 lands the sixth and final debut in the top 10, as "while(1<2)" launches at No. 9 with 30,000. The sales number is purely from downloads, as the set was exclusively available digitally in its first week. Its physical CD release arrived a week later, on June 23. The album is the producer-DJ's second top 10 set, following the No. 6 debut and peak of "Album Title Goes Here" (58,000 start).

Brantley Gilbert's "Just As I Am" rounds out the top 10, as it descends 4-10 with 26,000 (down 34 percent).

• Upvote 1

I'll try and give her a listen

She's definitely not for everyone. I definitely wouldn't compare her to anyone. If you're going to listen to Lana Del Rey, my advice is to have an open mind and just listen. But I recommend listening to the first album, then the EP, and then the second album.

I'm really trying here to see the appeal, beyond her song for the Great Gatsby soundtrack "Young and Beautiful" I'm not finding much appealing to me ....I'm not saying its bad, I'm saying she might not be for me, its sooooooooo laid back

Have you listened to her first album? I reccomend trying that first as it has more universal appeal, i can understand being thrown off by Ultraviolence the first time as i was too. It's a grower definitely.

• Upvote 1

Have you listened to her first album? I reccomend trying that first as it has more universal appeal, i can understand being thrown off by Ultraviolence the first time as i was too. It's a grower definitely.

Exactly, I agree. I personally recommend any new listener to give BTD a chance first. 

• 2 weeks later...

George Clooney wants Lana Del Rey to sing at his wedding too

George-Clooney-and-Lana-Del-Rey.jpg

Will Lana turn gorgeous George down?

Lana Del Rey is the go-to girl when A-listers need a wedding singer, it seems.

The morbid singer/songwriter is apparently top of the list to sing at George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin's September wedding.

Just two months after she performed at Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's nuptials, the 53-year-old actor is in talks with Lana's representatives in the hope that she'll appear at their wedding too.           

''Amal is a massive fan of Lana's, which has made George determined to make this happen," a source said. ''He contacted Lana's people to see if she'll perform at their wedding in Italy.''

kimye-wedding.jpg

Lana sang for free at Kimye's wedding

As a friend of Kim and Kanye, Lana reportedly performed for free at the couple's extravagant do - also in Italy. But gorgeous George is seemingly prepared to splash the cash.

"Of course, unlike Kimye, George doesn't know her personally so he can expect to pay a hefty fee.

"But money is no object. He'll pay Lana whatever she wants to make his wife-to-be-happy," the source said.

George might need to draw up a back-up plan though, as the 28-year-old star - who caused controversy by smoking on the stage at Glastonbury - is yet to confirm.

"Lana hasn't told the couple yet whether or not she'll be able to perform. But she's wondering whether it might look tacky to sing at two of the most high-profile celebrity weddings of the year," a source told the Daily Star.

The Clooney-Alamuddin wedding is set for a villa on Lake Como and the couple have recently sorted privacy laws to keep people away from the area.

Fans or paparazzi face a £400 fine for loitering round, stopping at or even swimming up to the home on Lake Como until September 30.

So this is it, George REALLY is going to be off the market....

• 3 weeks later...

Lana Del Rey: 'I've Slept With a Lot of Guys in the Industry'

Lana Del Rey clearly had no filter in a new interview with Complex magazine for their August/September issue, in which the controversial singer admits to sleeping with "a lot of guys" in the music industry.

When talking about her new song "F*cked My Way Up To The Top," Lana, 29, pretty much admits the song title is literal -- only she didn't even get any of the perceived benefits.

Pics: Lana Del Rey Gets Romantic with a 'Vogue' Photographer in Italy

"It's commentary, like, 'I know what you think of me,' and I’m alluding to that," she says. "You know, I have slept with a lot of guys in the industry, but none of them helped me get my record deals. Which is annoying.”

Lana was previously engaged to musician Barrie-James O'Neil and was rumored to have dated Marilyn Manson, rapper A$AP Rocky and Guns 'N Roses' Axl Rose.

In the candid new interview, Lana also talks about what she's looking for in a relationship, and how that influenced the title of her new album Ultraviolence.

"I like a physical love. I like a hands-on love. How can I say this without getting into too much trouble?" she asks. "I like a tangible, passionate love. For me, if it isn’t physical, I’m not interested. ... I feel connected to two emotions -- aggression and softness. I like that luxe sound of the word 'ultra' and the mean sound of the word 'violence' together. I like that two worlds can live in one."

Pics: Lana Del Rey Drinks From a Straw Like Someone Having a Deep, Heartbreaking Realization

Lana appears to be currently dating Vogue photographer Francesco Carrozzini, who she was spotted with on a romantic getaway in Italy earlier this month.

http://www.etonline.com/music/148759_lana_del_rey_says_she_slept_with_a_lot_of_guys_the_music_industry/

• 2 weeks later...

"You know, I have slept with a lot of guys in the industry, but none of them helped me get my record deals. Which is annoying.”

gurl #freepussy :unsure:what part of the game is that? :umm:

I LOVE "Born to Die"...the album feels so out there pushing boundaries

• 11 months later...