People Magazine's Most Beautiful Person 2014

Escapade

The Kenyan-Mexican actress is the third woman of African descent to win the award in its 25-year history. Halle Berry (2003) and Beyonce (2012) are the only African-American winners. She told People that the cover was a “major, major compliment.” “I was happy for all the girls who would see me on [it] and feel a little more seen,” she said, noting that when she was younger, she assumed beauty was just what you saw on television: “Light skin and long, flowing, straight hair…Subconsciously you start to appreciate those things more than what you possess.”

• Upvote 2

The Kenyan-Mexican actress is the third woman of African descent to win the award in its 25-year history. Halle Berry (2003) and Beyonce (2012) are the only African-American winners. She told People that the cover was a “major, major compliment.” “I was happy for all the girls who would see me on [it] and feel a little more seen,” she said, noting that when she was younger, she assumed beauty was just what you saw on television: “Light skin and long, flowing, straight hair…Subconsciously you start to appreciate those things more than what you possess.”

I knew there weren't many but I am shocked she is only the third. What she said about those standards of beauty is true, and I'm glad, even if only because she's buzz worthy right now, People put her on the cover.

Wow only 3. I don't get what their idea of beauty is. Julia Roberts and Jennifer aniston are always on there. I can name 10 black women better looking than that

Part of becoming an adult was me realizing that these magazines standards of beauty are trash. They constantly try to shove these tall, thin white women in our faces. Not saying that they aren't beautiful, but beauty comes in all shades, shapes and sizes. Lupita is a breath of fresh air from all the Eurocentric beauty ideals that America loves to impose on us.

• Upvote 3

Part of becoming an adult was me realizing that these magazines standards of beauty are trash. They constantly try to shove these tall, thin white women in our faces. Not saying that they aren't beautiful, but beauty comes in all shades, shapes and sizes. Lupita is a breath of fresh air from all the Eurocentric beauty ideals that America loves to impose on us.

Black people don't buy People Magazine

• Upvote 1

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: