Poetic Justice

BlackCat1989

Has anyone else noticed how much Poetic Justice is getting played now? Every time it's on it trends. Kinda ironic that Janet doesn't like the movie and yet it's her most played and tweeted about movie.

Its always on. These young kids love it.

• Upvote 2

Poetic Justice had all the makings of an instant classic. It was Janet's first movie (big deal at the time), Tupac's first lead role in a movie (big deal at the time since he was the quintessential rapper at the time) and then it was John Singleton's first movie after the critically acclaimed Boyz In The Hood...a lot of skeptics thought that he couldn't have another successful film, that Janet couldn't carry a film alone and that Tupac's ego couldn't be tamed long enough for him to act appropriate on set let alone in the movie. They proved everybody wrong when the film opened up at number 1. It had mixed reviews at first, but everyone agreed that it was entertaining and Janet was decent. Its aged well and that's why people still talk about it today and those rope braids became iconic, only adding to Janet's legacy.

• Upvote 4

Poetic Justice had all the makings of an instant classic. It was Janet's first movie (big deal at the time), Tupac's first lead role in a movie (big deal at the time since he was the quintessential rapper at the time) and then it was John Singleton's first movie after the critically acclaimed Boyz In The Hood...a lot of skeptics thought that he couldn't have another successful film, that Janet couldn't carry a film alone and that Tupac's ego couldn't be tamed long enough for him to act appropriate on set let alone in the movie. They proved everybody wrong when the film opened up at number 1. It had mixed reviews at first, but everyone agreed that it was entertaining and Janet was decent. Its aged well and that's why people still talk about it today and those rope braids became iconic, only adding to Janet's legacy.

Yes those braids. Just wish Janet would have stayed close to Pac

• 1 year later...

(Hi I don't like creating new threads lol ~ this can be the Poetic Justice appreciation thread :) ) So today I just put the DVD in for what feels like ages since last time ~ the film's just as awesome as it ever was! In fact I enjoyed it even more than my last viewing. I guess being a little older, I connect more with it now ... just the theme of getting your life on the right track. I also paid more attention to the scenes because the first few viewings I was in "OMGRRD!JANET!" mode the whole time. :asham: She was really good as Justice. :thumbup: "You kick my cat, I'ma kick your @$%" is still my favorite quote too! :P

• Upvote 2

Poetic Justice definitely could have been better but it served it's purpose when it came out and I have appreciated the performances from the entire cast a lot more.  The beginning scene when Q Tip is shot and Janet screams I was literally like "Janet is going to bring it!"......that scream and reaction was perfect.  In fact she was pretty damn near amazing with her character throughout the film with the exception of a couple of scenes i.e.: the scene where she confronts Regina King's character after throwing up cause she was drunk and tells her that she can't hang with her anymore when she drinks because it reminds her of mother.  The scene was a bit too "after school" special. I use to blame the actors if the scene came up short but it's really the director's job to get the best out of his actors and John Singleton should have had the balls to bring this to Janet's attention and get what was needed for that scene to work. 

Janet's moment in "Why Did I Get Married Too"  when the girls sit with her on the steps and just cry with her is amazing....her face was heart wrenching but in the first "Why Did I Get Married" movie Janet's breakdown scene with her husband about not being "Perfect Patty" when she blamed herself for the for the death of their son almost was perfect until the resolve when they hugged.  I think Tyler and John couldn't get a handle that Janet Jackson was a superstar and that she was also an actress.

This is why I was so bummed that Janet didn't get to work with Lee Daniel's cause he definitely would have been able to pull out a layered performance out of Janet!  

Janet needed that biopic of Lena Horn too!  Hope the Eartha Kitt role comes to fruition at some point cause it's a much more exciting role I think than playing Lena....it's still possible.  Janet could play her from the age she is now up until the time she dies and have someone else play Eartha while she was younger as Eartha was more of a personality as she got older!  

• Upvote 2

some of the comments in here are dead on right, this movie is a Black cult classic, and interestingly enough the kids love it.....I was in Dallas playing movies off my Netflix, and this young kid I met there asked if he could watch "Baby Boy" Im like if its on Netflix I'm cool with that, he asked well do you have "Poetic Justice"....and Im like do I!!! :excited:...my point here is the guy was all of 17 but he asked to watch Poetic Justice and I was cool with that :good: surprised the kids know this......oh and the kid was the cousin of my best friend's GF....dont get any ideas :sigh:...cute though :shifty:

Edited by Bailey