Why does the relationship between Janet and Latoya Jackson seem strained are better yet nonexistent?

BlackCat1989

I been thinking about this lately. I once saw an interview where Latoya said that she doesn't have many girlfriends, so she sometimes have to wait until Janet has time in her schedule to spend time with her. She also said that Janet tried to encourage her to make friends so that she would have other people to hang out with. Sidenote~ It sounded like Janet was trying to get rid of her without being mean. Lol! This interview was some years ago. It seems like their relationship has changed since then.

Last year when Latoya said that she found out that Janet got married though the media I wasn't surprised. But when she said that she never met Wissam I was taken a back.

What do you guys think about this?

Unfortunately ...Latoya never became a superstar, and in that there is a bit of jealousy, no one saw Janet coming and she did, Latoya was being groomed for that, she was in some of Mike's videos ...the problem with Latoya is now having accepted she wont be some icon is she is now an opportunist, and to some degree always has been,trying to use that last name as best she could, at worst using that last name against others in the family. Latoya aligned herself with those kids and the estate, both of which I'm sure Janet aint pleased about, especially considering Latoya has acted out against Janet in the past, showing up at the recording studio and acting an ass (during the recording of Janet.) ..... BUT they have had moments where Janet and Latoya were hanging out and trying, no family is without their issues, the sad thing is the Jacksons are under public scrutiny the reality is families in general have problems, sibling rivalry isn't something the Jacksons invented.

• Upvote 4

Unfortunately ...Latoya never became a superstar, and in that there is a bit of jealousy, no one saw Janet coming and she did, Latoya was being groomed for that, she was in Mike's video ...the problem with Latoya is now having accepted she wont be some icon is she is now an opportunist, and to some degree always has been,trying to use that last name as best she could, at worst using that last name against others in the family. Latoya aligned herself with those kids and the estate, both of which I'm sure Janet aint pleased about, especially considering Latoya has acted out against Janet in the past, showing up at the recording studio and acting an ass (during the recording of Janet.) ..... BUT they have had moments where Janet and Latoya were hanging out and trying, no family is without their issues, the sad thing is the Jacksons are under public scrutiny the reality is families in general have problems, sibling rivalry isn't something the Jacksons invented.

Do you think that Janet ever really forgave Latoya for what when down in the 90's when she was saying all that stuff about the family.

Janet has said in the past that its hard for her to trust people. And I do think that pertains to her family members too. She seems to be a bit standoffish towards them too. I don't feel that she thinks she can really trust Latoya like that especially with that show she has now.

I think you are thinking about it to hard. I mean were they ever really close...? Growing up Latoya was a lot older than Janet and spent most of her time chasing boys and shopping. Janet, on the other hand, was more of a tom boy and spent most of her time playing with her brothers. Im sure their relationship is fine, but I don't think they have ever been really close.

• Upvote 2

I think you are thinking about it to hard. I mean were they ever really close...? Growing up Latoya was a lot older than Janet and spent most of her time chasing boys and shopping. Janet, on the other hand, was more of a tom boy and spent most of her time playing with her brothers. Im sure their relationship is fine, but I don't think they have ever been really close.

Maybe I am thinking about it to hard, but Rebbie and Janet seem to be a lot closer than her and Latoya. Mind you Rebbie is a good 16 years older than Janet and Latoya is only 10 years older than Janet. I have to admit tho I have never heard Janet say that she was ever close to Latoya... like at all.

This is what ppl fail to realize. The Jacksons are not your average family...they're normal but different.

Just like how none of them really been to each others wedding. It's this thing they have about wedding with someone in front of their family members. Their lovelife is something they shy away from in front their family members. They got that from Katherine cuz she was the same way.. very shy with her lovelife. Her and Joe did not have a wedding ceremony becuz of it. When Janet ran off to get married to James, Michael Jackson find out thru Quincy Jones little daughter (at the time). That's juss an example of how they operate a lil differently. I don't think Jan and Latoya are as distant as one would think. I remember an interview where Janet was talking about how Marlon was visiting her and staying at her home back when she had the beach house and I remembered being shocked cuz I didn't think the Jacksons did stuff like that cuz they always appeared to be sort of distant with each other but I've realized...that's juss public perception. They communicate more often then you would think...but then they have moments when they may not speak ofter..its up and down. They live their lives ...seperately for the most part.That's juss how they operate. It has nothing to do with malice or jealously.

• Upvote 2

This is what ppl fail to realize. The Jacksons are not your average family...they're normal but different.

Just like how none of them really been to each others wedding. It's this thing they have about wedding with someone in front of their family members. Their lovelife is something they shy away from in front their family members. They got that from Katherine cuz she was the same way.. very shy with her lovelife. Her and Joe did not have a wedding ceremony becuz of it. When Janet ran off to get married to James, Michael Jackson find out thru Quincy Jones little daughter (at the time). That's juss an example of how they operate a lil differently. I don't think Jan and Latoya are as distant as one would think. I remember an interview where Janet was talking about how Marlon was visiting her and staying at her home back when she had the beach house and I remembered being shocked cuz I didn't think the Jacksons did stuff like that cuz they always appeared to be sort of distant with each other but I've realized...that's juss public perception. They communicate more often then you would think...but then they have moments when they may not speak ofter..its up and down. They live their lives ...seperately for the most part.That's juss how they operate. It has nothing to do with malice or jealously.

I like this! I never thought about it like this before.

I feel there might have been a slight rift between the family when Latoya "sided" with the kids 2 summers ago with that whole estate/Katherine kidnapping mess occured. But that was 2 years ago and Janet has been very quiet since then, so who knows if things are better with the family.

One would hope so. :)

I feel there might have been a slight rift between the family when Latoya "sided" with the kids 2 summers ago with that whole estate/Katherine kidnapping mess occured. But that was 2 years ago and Janet has been very quiet since then, so who knows if things are better with the family.

One would hope so. :)

Yep! And Latoya also said that they did kidnap Katherine. I just wanna know how you can kidnap your own mother when she agreed to come with you.

I always got the feeling that Janet never cared to be friends with girls and that includes her sister. Latoya seems like a girly girl and Janet is FAR from it.

Janet loves her but can only tolerate Latoya in small periods of time :lol: I can see her laughing with Toya and then rolling her eyes 5 mins after :lol:

• Upvote 1

I always got the feeling that Janet never cared to be friends with girls and that includes her sister. Latoya seems like a girly girl and Janet is FAR from it.

Janet loves her but can only tolerate Latoya in small periods of time :lol: I can see her laughing with Toya and then rolling her eyes 5 mins after :lol:

^this

Janet seems to be more into spending time with her man than her girlfriends. Hell does she even have girlfriends. I think that Gil and Peston are her girlfriends. To think about it she doesn't really hang with a lot of girls anyway.

I wonder does she still consider people like Shanice Wilson, Kim fields, and Melanie (the black girl in the Nasty video) her friends still. I know they do because both Shanice and Kim have tweeted so.

• Upvote 1

This

& That

Basically think about it this way, if Janet & LaToya werent sisters, could you see them being tight? You mentioned she's close to Rebbie but honestly I've seen more pics in public of Janet & LaToya together in the last 10 years than Janet & Rebbie. But what I do know is she grew up closer to LaToya and they used to fight, like we all know LaToya is as girly girl as they come, and Janet's as tom-boy as they come, automatically it's not gonna be besties. LaToya was 1 of the main 1's making fun of her weight, Janet seems to have always looked down on her as a week person, there was that time in 92 when Janet whopped her ass "Allegedly", and then theres that mess that happened 2 summers ago. It's crazy, but it's family shit. About the wedding and being married, it doesn't seem like any of the Jacksons knew, not just LaToya.

• Upvote 1

This

& That

Basically think about it this way, if Janet & LaToya werent sisters, could you see them being tight? You mentioned she's close to Rebbie but honestly I've seen more pics in public of Janet & LaToya together in the last 10 years than Janet & Rebbie. But what I do know is she grew up closer to LaToya and they used to fight, like we all know LaToya is as girly girl as they come, and Janet's as tom-boy as they come, automatically it's not gonna be besties. LaToya was 1 of the main 1's making fun of her weight, Janet seems to have always looked down on her as a week person, there was that time in 92 when Janet whopped her ass "Allegedly", and then theres that mess that happened 2 summers ago. It's crazy, but it's family shit. About the wedding and being married, it doesn't seem like any of the Jacksons knew, not just LaToya.

I pointed out Latoya specifically because when Janet and Latoya first joined Twitter. Latoya followed Janet, but Janet never followed her back so Latoya unfollowed her. There was also an interview where Latoya said that Janet and her live in the same building but they don't really talk like that. She said that they would walk past each other in the hall and speak and that would be the end of it.

I've always felt that Janet maybe looks at Rebbie more has a second mother and therefore was maybe closer to her than to Latoya.

We only know what they tell us and what we think we see. Rebbie is a bit of a recluse, but the relationship between her and Janet is fine. That could possibly explain the close relationship that Austin and Janet have.

I think in True You, Janet wrote that she always looked up to Rebbie and admired her growing up.

• Upvote 1

That's not hard to believe. I'm the same way with my sister. I can only tolerate her in small doses. Doesn't mean I hate her, I just love her from a distance LOL

I pointed out Latoya specifically because when Janet and Latoya first joined Twitter. Latoya followed Janet, but Janet never followed her back so Latoya unfollowed her. There was also an interview where Latoya said that Janet and her live in the same building but they don't really talk like that. She said that they would walk past each other in the hall and speak and that would be the end of it.

I've always felt that Janet maybe looks at Rebbie more has a second mother and therefore was maybe closer to her than to Latoya.

That Twitter things sounds like a trap, I follow you and you follow me and let the ratchedness begin.....Janet's private anyway

and I disagree strongly "it has nothing to do with jealousy or malice" I believe envy has been a big part of the Jackson family Latoya lived the greater part of a decade attacking Michael and her family then claims she was being controlled and brain washed. I believe she was under someone's influence but even the Hilton mom who is friends with the family asked Latoya on her reality show like you couldn't come over and just say hi? When it doesn't make sense, its because there's a lie in it somewhere. Latoya was hoping to get something of a career going and thought this manager guy was the one to pull it off....didn't happen and she came back home.

Now as for family closeness, Janet has said several times they all communicate through their mother, that's how they know anything about each other to a degree....and even as recent as the Anderson Cooper interview (I believe it was) Janet said she gets close to different family members at different times it changes ....and its already been stated Janet and Latoya have a huge age difference, and one's a girly girl the other wanted to play football with her brothers....

• Upvote 1

and I disagree strongly "it has nothing to do with jealousy or malice" I believe envy has been a big part of the Jackson family Latoya lived the greater part of a decade attacking Michael and her family then claims she was being controlled and brain washed. I believe she was under someone's influence but even the Hilton mom who is friends with the family asked Latoya on her reality show like you couldn't come over and just say hi? When it doesn't make sense, its because there's a lie in it somewhere. Latoya was hoping to get something of a career going and thought this manager guy was the one to pull it off....didn't happen and she came back home.

Now as for family closeness, Janet has said several times they all communicate through their mother, that's how they know anything about each other to a degree....and even as recent as the Anderson Cooper interview (I believe it was) Janet said she gets close to different family members at different times it changes ....and its already been stated Janet and Latoya have a huge age difference, and one's a girly girl the other wanted to play football with her brothers....

I have to admit that I've always thought that Latoya was envious of Mj and Janet. She and other family members lived in Mj's shadow for so long. By the time Janet became a superstar I know she had to be feeling salty, especially with Janet being the chubby little sister and her being the light-skinned thinner sister. I'm willing to bet you she thought that she was going to be the next big Jackson star. You can't tell me that the woman didn't harbor some kind of resentment towards her more famous and talented siblings. Latoya may have been forced to talk bad about her family by Jack, but a part of her did seem to enjoy it. Its either that are she is a really talented actress....

• Upvote 1

I wonder how it was to be in a big family with so many brothers and sisters. Janet being the baby was probably closest to the ones that were closer to her age..although Michael was a bit older than her, they were still very close. But then again, they were the most talented of the clan(from Michael's own thoughts)..

Latoya was older and loved her baby sister..but growing up and all the things that associate with "Jackson" most likely drifted them apart.

I wonder how it was to be in a big family with so many brothers and sisters. Janet being the baby was probably closest to the ones that were closer to her age..although Michael was a bit older than her, they were still very close. But then again, they were the most talented of the clan(from Michael's own thoughts)..

Latoya was older and loved her baby sister..but growing up and all the things that associate with "Jackson" most likely drifted them apart.

large families have a hard time sticking together and keeping up with one another like a smaller family does. My mom is from a large family... they come together once a year and talk on the phone monthly (probably what the Jackson's do) but sometimes you get those you haven't talked to in a while.

large families have a hard time sticking together and keeping up with one another like a smaller family does. My mom is from a large family... they come together once a year and talk on the phone monthly (probably what the Jackson's do) but sometimes you get those you haven't talked to in a while.

I come from a BIG family, but in terms of siblings..I only have 3 brothers..but the Jacksons had like 9 children..so I can see the disconnect because of age..