Linda Perry Is Not Impressed With Beyoncé’s ‘Songwriting

Shawn1814

In a Reddit AMA promoting her new show on VH1, Make or Break, songwriter (and 4 Non Blondes frontwoman) Linda Perry got lots of questions about Christina Aguilera, P!nk and the Beyoncé songwriting (or lack thereof) controversy. Despite having songwriting credits all over her new album, it's open knowledge that Bey doesn't really write her own songs:

Linda, how do you feel about Beyonce changing one word on a song and getting writing credit. Does that bother you as a songwriter?

well hahaha um thats not songwriting but some of these artists believe if it wasnt for them your song would never get out there so they take a cut just because they are who they are. but everyone knows the real truth even Beyonce. She is talented but in a completely different way

I guess that "hahaha um" speaks for itself, doesn't it?

Linda? She hasn't ever worked with Beyonce. 

Beyonce's antics are known throught the industry. Linda told no lies. :coffee:  Beyonce is a great singer and entertainer. That's enough in and of itself. Everybody can't be good at everything. And truth be told, Beyonce aint the only one. Usher, J-lo and Riri have all been accussed of credit jacking in the past.

I pray my sister doesn't read this article hehe. She's become an ultra obsessed BeyHive member over the last year or two and I can't even talk to her about music or any other artists because of it.

Like aed05 said ... It's common knowledge that that's what Beyonce does. The only ppl who are non-believers of this are Bee Stans.

Lest we forget that a songwriter/producer blew up her spot a few years ago by telling us that Beyonce makes her producers sign contracts that say she automatically gets a writing credit due to her name being attached to the song? He was very clear in how she gets her writing credits.

Bee is great at singing and performing but songwriting and acting is not her strong suit. You can excel in some things but not all.

Right On, Ms.Perry!

• Upvote 2

Beyoncé can barely gather her thoughts and articulate her feelings during interviews, why on earth would anybody believe she writes her songs?!.... :umm: I never believed that, but its not like she is the only entertainer to do this, I mean its the music business and everything comes down to making the most money you can. Its shady as hell, but that's business.

• Upvote 2

The stunt she pulled with Ne-yo was not gossip. She stood on stage and claimed to have written irreplaceable only to have him not only dispute that claim, but go on record and flat out say the song was not only written long before Beyoncé saw it, it had already been shopped around and offered to Fantasia first. None of this is gossip. This all played out publicly throughout 2007. She gets paid for adlibs but she is not writing lyrics. I doubt she'd even know what the subject and predicate of a sentence is, so how is she gonna write verse, chorus and bridge?

• Upvote 1

Im not sure why we would even argue the notion Beyonce writes her music. Neyo was basically a producer, thats what he does, so why would someone who was successful (at the time) in his own right claim to write something he didnt? It doesn't add up, he wasn't hard hit for the coins, and he didn't claim to write every hit she ever had, it was widely claimed he wrote "Irreplacable" and wanted the credit for it.

THE STORY:

A controversy arose over the writing credits on "Irreplaceable". Ne-Yo told MTV: "Apparently Beyoncé was at a show somewhere and right before the song came on she said, 'I wrote this for all my ladies' and then the song came on ... The song is a co-write. I wrote the lyrics, I wrote all the lyrics. Beyoncé helped me with the melodies and the harmonies and the vocal arrangement and that makes it a co-write. Meaning my contribution and her contribution made that song what it is."[11] In 2011, Ne-Yo said that he wrote the song for himself, but thought that it would be better suited for Knowles, and later regretted giving the song to her.[12] Some of Knowles' fans read Ne-Yo's remark as disrespectful towards her.[13] However, he clarified his comment later through Twitter, writing, "I said I originally wrote the song for me. ... Once I realized how the song comes across if sung by a guy, that's when I decided to give it away.

Beyonce writes and is very involved in her process. There's certain songs of hers that were completely written by other people where she comes in and personalizes the songs by changing some words, adding BG vocals and harmonies, adding a bridge, etc. That earns her a writing credit. Then there's certain songs that she actually wrote herself like the verse in "Drunk In Love", "Partition", the bridge in CIL and many others.

You always got to laugh when people strut in a thread trying to pass of an opinion as fact. Songwriting is very complex.

• Upvote 2

Beyoncé can barely gather her thoughts and articulate her feelings during interviews, why on earth would anybody believe she writes her songs?!.... :umm: I never believed that, but its not like she is the only entertainer to do this, I mean its the music business and everything comes down to making the most money you can. Its shady as hell, but that's business.

You're really comparing interviews where she's under pressure and careful of every word she says to songwriting, where she can actually take her time to express herself in a relaxed manner and let loose? :wacko: