Janet Is Coming Back! - Ian Cross Picks Barefoot Sound for New Janet Jackson Album

http://blog.mixonline.com/briefingroom/2014/07/30/ian-cross-picks-barefoot-sound-for-new-janet-jackson-album/

Cross is presently working exclusively with Janet Jackson on her forthcoming much anticipated album, her first since “Discipline” (2008). He describes Jackson’s reaction to Barefoot Sound: “I started playing a song called ‘I Get Lonely’ and she stopped me and said, ‘Where is the low end coming from?’ I said, ‘The speakers, that’s what you’re listening to.’ She said, ‘Those speakers are the only thing we’re listening to right now?’ I said, ‘That’s just the speakers.’ She was instantly sold.”

SHE'S COMMMMING

• Upvote 3

Full Q&A w/ Ian Cross: http://barefootsound.com/audio/a-conversation-with-producerengineer-ian-cross/

Excerpts:

This was also during a time when Janet was not in one place at one time for very long. The Janet Jackson’s of the world can’t just spend their time in one studio in one city anymore. They’re schedules just demand it, so we had to put together a portable studio that we could take anywhere in the world.  The second she heard these speakers I said, “This is my choice for our speakers for the album and we can take them everywhere, to every studio anywhere in the world, and we’re going to consistently hear the sound the way we want to hear it.” She agreed.

Cross:  We’ve been working in Qatar. We’ve been working in Paris, the Middle East, and now we feel like we can work anywhere. With the Barefoots and our little system that we have it’s a very powerful setup.

Barefoot Sound:  So now you can  remove all the doubts and second guessing while moving from place to place. It makes a lot of sense. How’s the new album coming along?

Cross:  The new album is going to be great. It’s a process. There’s a lot in store, yet to come. I can’t go into too many details but I think Janet Jackson’s fans are going to be very excited about the new album, and I think people who don’t know her as fans are going to be excited about it, too. The new paradigm of music, the real people in music now, are blending technology and music together. It’s becoming more and more seamless.

I find that the direction, not just of the music, but the concept of making albums is changing and developing so quickly and rapidly. We’re going to be doing things that are completely unexpected that nobody’s seen before. We apply that to the music in the album itself and that’s why we only want to work with the best of the best. We’re bringing in some of the best people on the planet to work on this record. We’ve got the best rig, the best speakers, and we’re doing a lot of new and interesting things. We’re hoping to do some really interesting things with Barefoot too by the way. It’d be really nice to find some ways to expand and extend our relationship.

Cross:  Again, I feel the Barefoots give us the most accurate representation of what we’re doing at any time. It doesn’t leave me or Janet with any second guessing. There is something special when the artist you’re working with is really, really comfortable with the way their voice sounds. I can tell you Janet’s voice sounds completely marvelous on these speakers.  I feel like before Barefoot there was no speaker that really presented her voice correctly, because she has so much detail, even when you’re around the 11 or 12K range that makes her voice really special. Yes, I think it’s the happiest she’s ever been. It’s certainly the happiest we’ve ever been with monitoring and listening to the music we’ve been working on.

• Upvote 3

And again I repeat: Unless that album releases in the calendar year of 2015, the. Games. are. mine. Snow.

Also, we heard things like this years ago with different producers and even from Janet herself. Yet, nothing. Don't get too comfortable on that high horse just yet.

And again I repeat: Unless that album releases in the calendar year of 2015, the. Games. are. mine. Snow.

Also, we heard things like this years ago with different producers and even from Janet herself. Yet, nothing. Don't get too comfortable on that high horse just yet.

Fine... But this proves Janet is still in the studio.. It proves that Janet lied to those French ( :umm: ) fans AND dis bitch has a traveling music studio.. When yo favs gonna do it? :coffee:
  • Upvote 3

Fine... But this proves Janet is still in the studio.. It proves that Janet lied to those French ( :umm: ) fans AND dis bitch has a traveling music studio.. When yo favs gonna do it? :coffee:

Okay. Bu, Dayz, myself, and others still had very good reason for doubting which was why I took this bet up in the first place.

I'm confused. The way Jimmy tweets I thought janet was working with him.

Ian is an engineer. As he put it, he's a "full time vocal producer".. According to the full interview

In 2010, I won the Grammy with Usher on the Raymond v. Raymond album. Janet [Jackson] and I had a little bit more of a special relationship because we became friends naturally. You meet a lot of people and you become friends with a couple of them, but sometimes there is one person you become really good friends with. No rhyme or reason, it’s just what’s meant to be. That’s what happened with Janet. She asked me to work on an album with her called “Discipline” in 2007 and, again, just do the same thing, produce the vocals. That led to her hiring me full-time to work with her. That’s where I’m at now.

He could be a producer who use to work with Jimmy/Terry so he was taught very well