ICON vs LEGEND

EphraimAdamz

Can we break it down please because it seems a lot of people don't know the difference. Here's my breakdown.

Greatest Of All Time

Legendary

Iconic/Notorious

Famous/Star/Celebrity

One Hit Wonder/Few Hits Wonder

There are levels to this ishhh:

LEVEL 1

One Hit Wonder/Few Hits Wonder - Many can achieve this status. The popular term "15 minutes of fame" is usually inserted here. Or "new star on the rise". They are often known for a few hits, but struggle to stay on top or keep the general public interest. "Remember that song? What ever happened to them?".

See Vanilla Ice

LEVEL 2

Famous/Star/Celebrity - Majority of the industry fall under this category. It's the standard means of "success", and some can fall on the lower or higher end of the spectrum.

"Cassie is well known but I don't think she's a bigger star than Ciara."

"You're right, Ciara sold some huge numbers when she first debuted, a lot like Ashanti."

LEVEL 3

Iconic/Notorious - Usually the stage where one starts receiving awards. Grammy's, VMA's, AMA's, ect. They should have a successful tour, a number of known music videos, and pop cultural impact. This spectrum can range anywhere from achievement awards, continuously successful albums, to headlining the Superbowl. "A list celebrity" is a common term used for such artists.

"Beyonce has been one of the few who are consistently on top for the past 10 years, she's certainly and Icon. Everyone knows her."

"Britney Spears is definitely a pop icon. She's been very successful and one of the baddest white girls to do it. The Circus Tour is the 6th highest grossing tour by a female ever."

"Paula Abdul is no Beyonce, but I would still say that her influence on dance and choreography still makes her an Iconic figure in music. Her and Janet changed the game when it comes to music videos."

"That Confessions by Usher is on its way to selling 21 Million copies man... crazy..."

LEVEL 4

Legends - One may reach Iconic level, but what differentiates a Legend from an Icon is their veteran status. Most icons are still discovering and redefining themselves. A legend however has 20-30 years or more in the industry, and usually have already inspired the next generation through their image and music. Their career may be a mix between Levels 1, 2, and 3 at any era during their career.

Icons may have the sales and the fame but often lack the social, political, or cultural impact of a Legend. In fact one could be considered Legendary without being Iconic, or perhaps skipping the icon process all together. For example...

"MC Lyte and Queen Latifah have not sold as many albums as Nicki Miinaj has, but they are still music legends in their own right. Where would female rappers be today without their impact, influence and foundation? When MC Lyte speaks, all other female rappers silence and pay their respects"

"LL Cool J is legendary. He's one of the founders of the rap genre, and is still making hits today"

"R Kelly, Michael Jackson, Elvis, James Brown, and Madonna will always be legend. After all they are considered the Kings, Queens, Fathers, or mothers of their fields"

See Also: Prince, Tina Turner, Stevie Wonder, Janet and more.

It is not uncommon for a legend to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame even if they have not outsold or have not been deemed more "successful" than much younger icons. Ones legendary status may also only apply to their musical demographic or field.

"Aerosmith is most certainly a rock music legend. But in no way a Hip Hop legend."

"Jlo... it'll be a few more years before she's considered Legendary. She's definitely an Icon, but who knows, maybe she's a legend in the Latin community?"

"Beyonce isn't a legend yet. She's iconic, but most people are still citing her as their competition, not as their influence"

However there are some who's career have no limits or spans all levels....

"Michael Jackson will always be legendary! Not only has he sold millions of albums but he's influenced so many other artists to come after him. He's been in music for over 40 years, and is considered the King of his field. He's received many awards to show for it too. I would argue that he's even one of the Greatest Of All Time"

Theres a few things I disagree with, like the new artists that hit the ground with a hit are in that moment definitely seen as celebrities or famous. So basically Im saying I think your level 1 & 2 are basically the same.

Theres a category for artists like Keyshia Cole, Ashanti, and Ciara where they had their 15 mins, where it goes inbetween Newbies & Icon's, I guess it's "Known".

And Cassie would be among the 1 hit wonder's, she's not that well known today, she only lasted for 1 song, joke about Ciara as much as we do but she's def not comparable to Cassie, Ashanti is more comparable to Ciara & Blu Cantrell is more comparable to Cassie

And I wouldn't ever line up R. Kelly with the names Michael Jackson, Elvis, & Madonna. He has great stats and a title (but so does Lil Mo....mmhmm) but Michael & those listed with him are MEGA, not just legend. Like yea theres alot of musicians with the stats and fame we call legends but I think that title itself has it's own levels to it

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

And I wouldn't ever line up R. Kelly with the names Michael Jackson, Elvis, & Madonna.

I disagree. The only thing that seperates him from the others is that modern RnB as a genre itself came after the 80's. He achieved everything they did in the RnB world, just not in the pop world, even though he did have some big successful crossover hits.

I disagree. The only thing that seperates him from the others is that modern RnB as a genre itself came after the 80's. He achieved everything they did in the RnB world, just not in the pop world, even though he did have some big successful crossover hits.

But that's why I don't think he's not comparable to MJ, Madonna, or Elvis, because the bulk of his success, fanbase, and inspiration is in 1 lane. Where's those 3 are known in MANY lanes. he had some crossover hits but they had MANY, that's a whole other type of thing there. Would you seriously be as shocked to hear that someone from anywhere in the world doesn't know the name of a single R.Kelly song and might not even know the name or able to identify him as if that same person said they couldn't name a Michael song and couldn't identify him............? Exactly that's why they're different, that's why R. Kelly doesn't belong in that lineup.

But that's why I don't think he's not comparable to MJ, Madonna, or Elvis, because the bulk of his success, fanbase, and inspiration is in 1 lane. Where's those 3 are known in MANY lanes. he had some crossover hits but they had MANY, that's a whole other type of thing there. Would you seriously be as shocked to hear that someone from anywhere in the world doesn't know the name of a single R.Kelly song and might not even know the name or able to identify him as if that same person said they couldn't name a Michael song and couldn't identify him............? Exactly that's why they're different, that's why R. Kelly doesn't belong in that lineup.

But EVERYONE knows I Believe I Can Fly :asham:  So I doubt that would happen

But EVERYONE knows I Believe I Can Fly :asham:  So I doubt that would happen

Not quite, like it's a legendary song but I think to be in that level where more than likely WAY more of the world has heard of you than haven't, it has to be more than 1 legendary song and he has just 1.