ICYMI: Chris Brown - X - New Album

Rock & Roll Hall of Game

In Case You Missed It, Chris Brown released his newest album, X, on Tuesday... And of course, I gave it a listen yesterday. 

The deluxe version is filled with 19 new tracks excluding two interludes. I will review each song one by one.

1. X - The song started off about himself and his controversial life and by the first chorus turned into a heartbreak song. The beat sounds dated. - 3/10

2. Add Me In - A play-on-words song dedicated to his mathematics professor. - 2/10

3. Loyal feat. Lil Wayne & Tyga - The best song on the album. Everyone knows it - 8/10

4. New Flame feat. Usher & Rick Ross - A cute song featuring Veteran singer Usher and Rapper Rick Ross. Typical love song - 7/10 (5 points for the features)

5. Songs on 12 Play feat. Trey Songs - One of many songs about sex - 2/10 

6. Drown In It feat. R Kelly - Ironically & sadly this isn't about urine. Two of the industries men on trial singing about song about sex.  - 2/10

7. Came To Do feat. Akon - A song about sex, sigh, and it is for "all his ladies". This song features a rapper of yesterday. - 2/10

8. Stereotype - This track stood out below them all. Chris Brown sings about nonsense on a repetitive chorus - 1/10

9. Time For Love - Typical CB "love" song. - 3/10

10. Autumn Leaves feat. Kendrick Lamar - A heartbreaking "ballad" featuring today's hottest rapper. This song also features a lot of autotune. It has potential as a fall single but the chorus falls short thanks to lyrical content. Kendrick's verse is the best part of the song, kinda. - 6/10

11. Do Better feat. Brandy - Another typical heartbreaking "ballad-esque" song featuring 90s star Brandy. Brandy sounds good though. - 2/10

12. See You Around - Another "ballad" turned dance track as it goes on. The verses are strong, the hook brings you in. Probably the best non-single on the album - 7/10

13. Don't Be Gone Too Long - A song with an non-feature female echo vocalist. A song that shouldn't be taken too seriously. - 6/10

14. Body Shots - This auto-tuned song he wrote in a club about literal body shots, on her "Pu$$y baby". I'm not sure how this made the album. It's unnecessary. - 2/10

15. Drunk Texting feat. Jhené Aiko - This duet features a repetitive chorus that lost it's way lyrically. It has no point at all. It's like if a TV show's title is the same as it's plot. - 2/10

16. Lost In Ya Love - This song has no point. Lyrically, Chris is falling in love and then awkwardly switches to "DJ playing this song all night long". The beat is very mellow. - 3/10 

17. Love More feat. Nicki Minaj - The second best featured track on this album. I wish the album should have evolved around this sound. Nicki has the strongest rap verse on the album despite it being downgraded to the deluxe version. 7/10 (thanks to Nicki Minaj)

18. Don't Think They Know feat. Aaliyah - Aaliyah rolled over in her grave but still a solid song if you ignored the sampled superior song. I'm shocked this was downgraded to the deluxe version. - 6/10

19. Fine China - Corny song - 2/10

X is filled with filler songs and isn't very different from his past content. Save your coins on something better this fall. Despite this album moving an impressive, 135-145k first week, it is definitely a disappointer. 

He's looking at 135k? :blink: well damn Chris..Get It!! I didnt see that at all.. I cant even hate.

And Ive never listened to a full CB album in my life, he doesnt draw me in enough musically to take a listen to his work tho I think he is certainly one of THE most talented of his peers

Whose his peers? Justin Beiber and Usher?

I always assume his albums suck. His last album fortune I only kept 3 songs off his album and "Don't Judge Me" so far is my fave song of his ever. I'm surprised just like everyone else of how much his album is set to sell first week but with that said Barbara Streisand is set to have the no.1 album, again. Legend

The album sucks

And Usher/Trey/Chris/Britney's last albums all debuted with 100+ sales yet ya'll called those numbers a flop. Sorry, but I'm confused? So between 2012 - 2014, 100,000 is now the new standard? People like to cherry pick what's a flop and what's not around here.

I don't think anyone is cherry picking. I think it comes down to the artist. Selling 100k with no hit song this year, no big promo and being in jail for a proportion of the year...there's a reason one can't complain or talk smack about that :umm:. Going from 1million+ to 300k+ to 120k however, with successful singles or lots of promo is not a good look and will get you ridiculed :unsure:. Just like people came for Mariah going from diamond/platinum albums to the last one with all of that promo, singles etc... I don't use Trey tbh. I thought his last album was that Peace and Pain? For example, there's a reason no one is talking about Michelle selling 8k first week and clowning her for it...people expect it to flop.

ideA5GifYxYjm.gif

I don't think anyone is cherry picking. I think it comes down to the artist. Selling 100k with no hit song this year, no big promo and being in jail for a proportion of the year...there's a reason one can't complain or talk smack about that :umm:. Going from 1million+ to 300k+ to 120k however, with successful singles or lots of promo is not a good look and will get you ridiculed :unsure:. Just like people came for Mariah going from diamond/platinum albums to the last one with all of that promo, singles etc... I don't use Trey tbh. I thought his last album was that Peace and Pain? For example, there's a reason no one is talking about Michelle selling 8k first week and clowning her for it...people expect it to flop.

ideA5GifYxYjm.gif

I thought Loyal and Love More were pretty big this summer?

I was with you for a second but then I remembered that Chris Brown has been in and out of trouble for the past 3 albums, so your reasoning doesn't really make sense when it comes to his career. Trouble is basically a part of his image/branding at this point

:unsure:

I thought Loyal and Love More were pretty big this summer?

I was with you for a second but then I remembered that Chris Brown has been in and out of trouble for the past 3 albums, so your reasoning doesn't really make sense when it comes to his career. Trouble is basically a part of his image/branding at this point

:unsure:

ijidtSBdOwCLT.gif

But I don't think he was ever in jail for those albums so he could actually promote better for those :unsure:. I haven't seen any promo for this album including award shows which is why it's surprising he sold as much as he did? 

The album sucks

And Usher/Trey/Chris/Britney's last albums all debuted with 100+ sales yet ya'll called those numbers a flop. Sorry, but I'm confused? So between 2012 - 2014, 100,000 is now the new standard? People like to cherry pick what's a flop and what's not around here.

No.. But with setback after setback