GAME: Janet Jackson Singles Rate...THE RESULTS!

bu.

janetsinglesrating.png

At number 8

8. Let's Wait Awhile. 9.21

Let's wait awhile is a great ballad. I like the idea of it being about something as sacred as virginity as virginity truly is something special and Janet obviously realized that. Globally, it definitely is her signature ballad based on chart rankings. It's impact is still felt today throughout the younger generation (thanks to Justin Ewwwwberlake). It's also aged very well for a track from the 80's.

Written by TC Lannister

janetsinglesrating.png

7. Feedback. 9.24

It’s hard for me to do a write-up for this song. It’s a great song. In some ways it was a return to form and easily her best lead single since All For You. However it isn’t iconic like her other hits. She didn’t write it. It wasn’t produced by “the Dream Team”. It wasn’t promoted well. She wore that wig when she performed it on TRL. However, despite wearing that poodle hair on TRL, it was her first time performing on MTV since the Superbowl which hinted at the rift having finally been repaired.

It was one of the first euro-pop/dance songs to appear before the trend became the norm which once again showed why Janet is that bitch. The innovative production, futuristic vibe and sexy lyrics hailed it as a return to form for the singer. Rolling Stone called it Janet’s “best single in years”. Bill Lamb said she was “revitalized and in fine form”. Charting at 19 on the Hot 100, it became her first top 20 hit on the Hot 100 since 2001s Someone To Call My Lover. Well received by critics and non-critics, had it been pushed well, Feedback could have easily become a huge hit and gotten Janet noticed again, not just in America but worldwide.

• Upvote 1

janetsinglesrating.png

6. Scream. 9.42

In 1995, Jackson siblings Michael and Janet, also known as the King and Queen of Pop, banded together to release "Scream". A fast-paced, rage-filled, aggressive duet written in response to allegations and the media coverage of them made against Michael of child molestation. The pair recruited the help of legendary producers James "Jimmy Jam" Harris III and Terry Lewis to write, produce, and compose the single who had previously collaborated with Janet on three multi-platinum albums (ControlJanet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814, and janet.). When recording the song, producer Jimmy Jam remembers an instance of a friendly, healthy sibling competition between Michael and Janet. On the first take, he recalls, Michael totally killed it. Feeling pressure, Janet refused to record her part of the song right then and opted to record her part on a different day in another studio. Janet’s recording turned out to be just as phenomenal as her brother’s original, if not more. This prompted Michael to contact Jam to re-record his vocals and perfect them to his liking. Two weeks before the single’s official release, the song was leaked to a radio station in L.A. which Michael heard and the station, as well as two others in Philadelphia, was served with a cease and desist order that very day from Epic Records. The music video, directed by Mark Romanek, for the song cost a pretty- $7 million dollar-penny making it the most expensive video ever made. When adjusted for inflation, the video still holds this record today. It was nominated for "Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals" at the 1996 AMAs, and also earned a Grammy nomination for "Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals." The song was an international hit and a Top 5 smash in the US (#5), the UK (#3), and Australia (#2).

Written by Ms. Reyna

Tonight I heard "Again" on the radio literally for the first time in my life. :mellow: And it was played after another superior ballad, LWA. 

Tom Joyner stays playing "When I Think Of My First #1". Even the pop 80s stations plays it. "Again" is quite possibly the most forgettable ballad in Janet's catalog. Hell even FHTF and IGL get more recurrent airplay than "Encore". "Once More" was covered by that Caribbean artist a few years back, while LWA, IGL, FHTF and others stay getting homage.

tumblr_m5o0jlYRnj1rybdyvo1_r1_500.gif

Sis, I see you clinging to these radio stats for dear life but at some stage you have to pull yourself together. If in fact spins went hand-in-hand with people's recollections then we wouldn't see Call On Me and I Want You ranked higher than the likes of Control and Love Will Never Do.

You seem to be struggling somewhaT with the realisation that Again remains Janet Jackson's best-known ballad. I can't really help you with that.

whats%E2%80%A6whats-happening.gif

But niece, the facts are before you. The reason why COM and IWY are higher is because of the increase of radio stations, thus increasing the potential for spins. "Repeat" is easily her most forgettable ballad. The only thing it's got going for it is the #1, and the award noms that it didn't win. LWA and FHTF are both more popular. Just ask Tinashe and Future. 

The last time we heard "Once More" was American Idol back in 2010. And even after the performance, the ppl chose to purchase "Nothing". Not only is the shade here thicker than Rosie O' Donnell's thighs, but it's very telling. 

255ond2.jpg

But sis, you still haven't grasped the fact that "best-known" doesn't simply correspond to spins at radio. That there were more radio stations around for the peak of COM and IWY shows why those stats are kinda useless. If you want to talk popularity then head on over to musicvf where they rank songs based on overall US & UK performance. It's there you'll find Again sitting on 342 points in the catalogue of Janet Jackson, making it her number one ballad and fourth most successful single in her discography. Then you can pop back into that other thread where I laid down the fact that Billboard ranked Again the fifth Top Song of not just Janet, but of any Jackson. Add to that her gracing primetime with her presence and the ballad she chooses for that AI performance is Again. Why? Because it's one of her signature hits and her best-known ballad. That piano lick is instantly familiar. Tinashe may have sampled FHTF for her album but Iyaz reworked Again into a single. Seethe.

tfibviiwzv9f144navnv.gif

But Grandma T, what you fail to realize about chart stats is that the only reason "Encore" is ranked so high in Janet's chart run down is because 1993 was the year Billboard began including R&B airplay into calculating the Hot 100 ranking. That's how TTWLG debuted at #14 and was #1 for so long. Had this system been in place in retrospect, all of the singles from Control and RN1814 would have been out-pacing "Encore". But chart stats are only a footnote in the longevity of a single, as evident by "Encore". AI was the first time Janet had performed the song outside of a tour since the Oscars in 1994. The song didn't win neither the GG or the Oscar,, and Janet put it out to pasture. On the last tour, Janet had the disciples across the globe singing the lyrics to the first verse because she knew everyone knew the song, while "Encore" had to settle for the Velvet Rope Tour backing track. LWA was performed at the Billboard for AMEX card holders in 2006. Not only that, LWA was covered by Alexandria Burke, UK X-Factor star. She also did a "video" for the song. It was later covered on popular primetime FOX show, which you may have heard of, call Glee. And just last year, Justin Timberlake covered LWA on his $100 million grossing tour. While LWA is brining in checks making Janet a diva gettin' money (334rkhl.jpg), "Encore" sits on Katy Perry's Grammy shelf collecting dust until the next tour. 

raven-o.gif

But señora, it concerns me that you're trying to devalue 1993's chart modification rather than deal with Hot 100 law. If we discount Again's impacT we also discount TTWLG and every other R&B single which followed. However, the stats are merely trimming. I detect weak shade being thrown at the loss of both the Oscar and the Golden Globe, I guess I can only ask that you provide me with a list of all the other Janet Jackson songs which received an Academy Award nomination. Perhaps you could start chronologically and work your way through? As I recall the Billboard for AMEX performance was available to stream only, so I assume those who went to the effort of visiting the website and punching in their details probably enjoyed LWA being performed in full for once rather than the condensed version we hear on tour as it segues into a lengthy and unabbreviated Again. Which is odd given LWA is the longer song by almost a minute. Meanwhile American Idol beamed live to some 24 million viewers. Alexandra's cover was cute, I only wish it charted somewhere the way Iyaz's Solo did when it went Top 5 in the UK and Top 40 in the US. :( Had it received an official release who knows, maybe it could've! I have heard of Glee, thank you. I don't know if you're an avid watcher like myself but you may have noticed they've covered the likes of To Love You More by Celine Dion and I Still Believe by Mariah Carey which, along with Janet's LWA, shows a pattern of taking on loved but not necessarily the best-known ballads by some of the biggest females in pop. It's a trend I hope they uphold. It might pay to not be so loose with the term "covered" since JT didn't sing more than a line from LWA during that one show in Jersey. But get money. When the sun sets over Jordan the fact remains that Again is Janet Jackson's best-known ballad. That's why she tried to re-write it in '97 and wound up with Every Time.

Oh, and sis, if you have a minute would you pop on over to thelavalizard.com? They're running this poll.

mv4qqqv.png

Be a doll and count the ballads, would you?

Oh la la madamoiselle. I'm taken aback by your relentless pursuit of trying to make "Encore" "fetch", if you will. The chart performance of Janet's most forgettable ballad has no bearing on its popularity. If that's the case, TTWLG and TA are Janet's most popular songs. However, through Her impact, we know that is not the case. The abridged version of LWA appears on tours because the arrangement allows for it to be altered. "Encore" is not arranged in the same structure as LWA, thus Janet has no choice but to drag out "AgaiNyquil". And on every tour, Janet spends the next three or four songs trying to awake the audience from that insomnia cure. Whether or not Justin interpolated the song in one performance, that's one performance outside of a Janet tour that "Again" never see. Although, if your argument were valid, you'd think Justin would have selected "Janet's most popular ballad" to perform. Unfortunately, again, that is not the case. It should also be noted that LWA was given a full revival at Icon in 2001, as performed by Michelle Williams and the girls, while "Again" was thrown in a video montage. LWA was even used as a contraceptive during the HIV/AIDS outbreak in the 80s, whilst promoting abstinence. So much for "Janet's most popular ballad". 

tumblr_inline_n4lzmdBs1G1r4rz2z.gif

Why is this such a turn on though? My body is ready for yall!

Together-Again-deeper-remix-video-janet-anytime-anyplace-o.gifjanet-jackson-every-time-o.gif

• Upvote 1

Well Im happy that FB & LWAW both aren't in the top 5, that totally works for me....despite their uninvited top 10 presence....

It's funny I didn't know where Scream would place at all here cause on 1 hand it's 1 of Janet's best vocals on another hand so many here aren't big on MJ but I think this placing is about right for here

• Upvote 1

janetsinglesrating.png

68. Two To The Power Of Love - 3.32

67. Fast Girls - 3.46

66. Dream Street - 4.22

65. Come Give Your Love To Me - 4.32

64. Don't Stand Another Chance - 4.53

63. Don't Worry - 4.82

62. Whoops Now - 5.06

61. Don't Mess Up This Good Thing - 5.09

60. Girlfriend/Boyfriend - 5.11

59. Feel It Boy - 5.17

58. Luv Me Luv Me - 5.48

57. Love And My Best Friend - 5.53

56. Nothing - 5.84

55. Young Love - 6.17

54. Just A Little While - 6.3

53. What'll I Do - 6.4

52. Say You Do - 6.5

51. Can't Be Good - 6.78

50. So Excited - 6.92

49. I Want You - 7.28

48. Son Of A Gun - 7.36

47. Call On Me - 7.38

46. Because Of Love - 7.46

45. Someone To Call My Lover - 7.58

44. Diamonds - 7.6

43. Control - 7.8

42. Make Me - 7.81

41. State Of The World - 7.88

40. Luv - 7.92

39. Twenty Foreplay - 7.93

38. Enjoy - 7.97

37. R&B Junkie - 7.99

36. Alright - 8.02

35. With U - 8.03

34. Rock With U - 8.08

33. Throb - 8.09

32. Go Deep - 8.12

31. When I Think Of You - 8.14

30. What Have You Done For Me Lately - 8.33

29. Every Time - 8.36

28. What's It Gonna Be - 8.37

27. The Best Things In Life Are Free - 8.39

26. Doesn't Really Matter - 8.4

25. Got Til It's Gone - 8.41

24. All Nite - 8.49

23. The Pleasure Principle - 8.5

22. Runaway - 8.52

21. Come On Get Up - 8.56

20. Funny How Time Flies (When You're Having Fun) - 8.6

19. You Want This - 8.77

18. Miss You Much - 8.78

17. If - 8.8

16. Rhythm Nation - 8.84

15. You - 8.86

14. Again - 8.88

13. Escapade - 9.01

12. Any Time Any Place - 9.07

11. Nasty - 9.09

The Top 10

10. Come Back To Me - 9.12

9. Black Cat - 9.19

8. Let's Wait Awhile - 9.21

7. Feedback - 9.24

6. Scream - 9.42

janetsinglesrating.png

67. Fast Girls - 3.46

66. Dream Street - 4.22

63. Don't Worry - 4.82

62. Whoops Now - 5.06

59. Feel It Boy - 5.17

58. Luv Me Luv Me - 5.48

56. Nothing - 5.84

55. Young Love - 6.17

53. What'll I Do - 6.4

52. Say You Do - 6.5

51. Can't Be Good - 6.78

50. So Excited - 6.92

49. I Want You - 7.28

48. Son Of A Gun - 7.36

47. Call On Me - 7.38

44. Diamonds - 7.6

43. Control - 7.8

42. Make Me - 7.81

40. Luv - 7.92

38. Enjoy - 7.97

37. R&B Junkie - 7.99

36. Alright - 8.02

35. With U - 8.03

34. Rock With U - 8.08

33. Throb - 8.09

32. Go Deep - 8.12

29. Every Time - 8.36

24. All Nite - 8.49

22. Runaway - 8.52

19. You Want This - 8.77

18. Miss You Much - 8.78

17. If - 8.8

16. Rhythm Nation - 8.84

15. You - 8.86

14. Again - 8.88

13. Escapade - 9.01

11. Nasty - 9.09

9. Black Cat - 9.19

7. Feedback - 9.24

6. Scream - 9.42

5. All For You - 9.43

Let’s start with the facts:

FACT: Added to every major radio format the same day as release on March 6, 2001

FACT: AFY holds the airplay record for most spins in a week sans contractual agreement

FACT: Janet’s last #1 record

FACT: #1 for 7 weeks making it the longest reign that year

FACT: Song of the Year 2001 awarded by ASCAP

FACT: It is the 2nd most popular song in Janet’s Discography (according to last.fm) with more than 10,000 spins in the last 6 months from users

FACT: Janet became the first female of the decade to hit #1 thanks to AFY

This lead single was a start of something beautiful. The 80s dance/disco inspired song left a strong mark on the Pop world and cemented Janet’s Pop Legacy. All For You, to this day, still sounds modern and has been voted the Top Ten Janet Jackson Single of All Time by her fans. 

Written by Game Zbornak

4. Together Again - 9.5

"Together Again" is the second single released from Janet Jackson sixth studio album, The Velvet Rope (1997). It was written and produced by Jackson, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, with additional writing by Jackson's then-husband, René Elizondo, Jr. It was released commercially on December 2, 1997, through Virgin Records. Originally written as a ballad, the track was rearranged as a dance and house song. Jackson was reportedly inspired to write the song after a friend who succumbed to AIDS, as well as a piece of fan mail she received from a young boy in England who had lost his father.

"Together Again" was well received by music critics, who praised the song's structure and Jackson's vocals, comparing them to those of Diana Ross and works by Donna Summer. Commercially, the song was also successful, topping the Billboard Hot 100 chart for two weeks, as well as reaching the top of the Hot Dance Club Songs. The song was additionally certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). "Together Again" attained commercial success worldwide, peaking within the top five in most countries, such as Canada and the United Kingdom, also topping the charts in Denmark and Netherlands.

Two music videos were produced for "Together Again". The video for the original version was directed by Seb Janiak, and shows Jackson and her dancers performing in a futuristic African paradise where people are seen living side by side with wild animals such as elephants, giraffes, and wildcats. Another music video released for the 'Deeper Remix' was directed by René Elizondo, Jr. and shows Jackson in an apartment. Jackson performed "Together Again" in a number of occasions to promote The Velvet Rope, including at the American Music Awards. She has performed the song on all of her tours since its release.

Written by Janet4life

3. I Get Lonely - 9.66

The third single from the iconic "The Velvet Rope" album, "I Get Lonely" showcases Janet at her best: Heartfelt lyrics, ethereal harmonies, and a killer video.  "I Get Lonely" is arguably the most r&b sounding track off the album.  After the upbeat and danceable number 1 single, "Together Again", Janet slowed it down with this seductive r&b groove that rose to number 3 on the Hot 100 and number 1 on the r&b charts.  Starting off with a piano and a few fingersnaps, it segues into a r&b jam that still sounds as fresh as it did 1998.  And Janet's background vocals and harmonies have never sounded better.  It's like a hundred Janet Jackson's singing along in the background courtesy of masterminds Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis.  Her layered vocals are a Janet trademark and it's perfect on this classic Janet track.

Written by hotboy06

janetsinglesrating.png

67. Fast Girls - 3.46

66. Dream Street - 4.22

63. Don't Worry - 4.82

62. Whoops Now - 5.06

59. Feel It Boy - 5.17

58. Luv Me Luv Me - 5.48

56. Nothing - 5.84

55. Young Love - 6.17

53. What'll I Do - 6.4

52. Say You Do - 6.5

51. Can't Be Good - 6.78

50. So Excited - 6.92

49. I Want You - 7.28

48. Son Of A Gun - 7.36

47. Call On Me - 7.38

44. Diamonds - 7.6

43. Control - 7.8

42. Make Me - 7.81

40. Luv - 7.92

38. Enjoy - 7.97

37. R&B Junkie - 7.99

36. Alright - 8.02

35. With U - 8.03

34. Rock With U - 8.08

33. Throb - 8.09

32. Go Deep - 8.12

29. Every Time - 8.36

24. All Nite - 8.49

22. Runaway - 8.52

19. You Want This - 8.77

18. Miss You Much - 8.78

17. If - 8.8

16. Rhythm Nation - 8.84

15. You - 8.86

14. Again - 8.88

13. Escapade - 9.01

11. Nasty - 9.09

9. Black Cat - 9.19

7. Feedback - 9.24

6. Scream - 9.42

5. All For You - 9.43

4. Together Again - 9.5

3. I Get Lonely - 9.66

2. Love Will Never Do (Without You) - 9.89

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i9Mba9keHA

Released October 2nd 1990, Love Will Never Do is the last full-fledged single of Rhythm Nation when ironically it is also one of the 1st songs to be recorded on the Rhythm Nation project through the layering of background vocals (along with Miss You Much) to strengthen Jackson’s vocals from the hiatus she took inbetween recording projects recorded in late 1988, with the lead vocals recorded in early 1989. Eventually becoming Janet’s 5th #1 single, it almost wasn’t a single, originally the last single for the project was to be Someday Is Tonight. Herb Albert plays the trumpet throughout the song. And well known now by most Janet fans, originally intended to possibly be a duet between Jackson and a male artist (commonly heard to be Ralph Tresvant, Johnny Gil, or even Prince), but impressed by her lower octave sound on the 1st verse decided the song didn’t need a partner. The song continues to receive praise for the production and Jacksons vocal use throughout the song.

Written by jarrylf

Which means that the winner of Janet Jackson Singles Rate is...

1. That's The Way Love Goes - with a perfect score of 10!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUOkg4jFNus

"Come on Janet. Play the tape! You're gonna let us listen to it anyway!" After wrapping up two unique, successful eras, the next highly anticipated era too had a fresh new theme. On May 1993, the world was introduced to the laid-back, grooving single that is "That's the Way Love Goes," with its instantly mesmerizing, iconic opening line"Like a moth to the flame burned by the fire." This sets the tone of for both the janet. album and era exploring love, sexual maturity, and womanhood. Co-written and co-produced with Jam & Lewis, it is truly masterpiece with each note and chord placed impeccably. Just listen to way she sings "Oh sugar don't you hurry" and the layering of the second bridge - it's the little moments that make it go a long way cutting deep into the soul. Combining many musical elements from smooth jazz to new jack swing, "That's the Way Love Goes" is the definitive midtempo - a song one could chill to (see music video) or dance to (see live performances)! Not surprisingly, a single of that sheer level of quality is undeniable and translated into major chart success worldwide. It climbed like an ibex to the apex, and maintained 8 consecutive weeks of dominance on the Billboard Hot 100. It reached #1 in Australia and Canada, and #2 in the UK (behind George Michael's Five Live EP). Additionally, it earned many awards including Billboard, BMI, AMA, Soul Train, and the Grammy Award for Best R&B song. "That's the Way Love Goes" is without a doubt one of her signature songs and has gone on to become a timeless classic!

Written bRedSimba

==============================================

And that concludes the game :D!! I want to thank each and every one of you who participated. I genuinely thought it was going to be a flop it was was far from it!!  

• Upvote 1