Raven Symone talks about her sexuality

jarrylf

I feel like I connect with her in a whole new way, cause I feel the same way with my sexuality and identity!

It was a really great interview, she seems like such a awesome person, and she name dropped Janet twice (she said maybe 1 day she'll be sexy on stage like Janet and when Oprah asked who is her Celebrity Crush? JANET)

I so hope when they do Janet's story in some form Raven can play her, cause I think she'd do her justice

She's foolish for both

nope I know a few people who don't wanna be put in a category. He's attracted to whatever at the time. Girls or guys and he pretty much said the same thing Raven did. He won't say he's gay or bi he said he likes everybody lol

• Upvote 1

nope I know a few people who don't wanna be put in a category. He's attracted to whatever at the time. Girls or guys and he pretty much said the same thing Raven did. He won't say he's gay or bi he said he likes everybody lol

Doesn't matter if they want to be put in a category or not.. They're in it and there's nothing they can do about it

Sorry #notsorry

I'm not here for that old news "no categories" crude.. It's a fantasy.

• Upvote 1

Doesn't matter if they want to be put in a category or not.. They're in it and there's nothing they can do about it

Sorry #notsorry

I'm not here for that old news "no categories" crude.. It's a fantasy.

who says it matters? Fact is there are people in this world who don't put labels on themselves even if the rest of the world does :)

who says it matters? Fact is there are people in this world who don't put labels on themselves even if the rest of the world does :)

Society says it matters.. And society >>>

Fact is.. They're still labeled whether they like it or not, whether they're gay, bi, woman, man.. Labels are everywhere and there's no hiding from it ^_^

Society says it matters.. And society >>>

Fact is.. They're still labeled whether they like it or not, whether they're gay, bi, woman, man.. Labels are everywhere and there's no hiding from it ^_^

well unlike you everybody doesn't follow in what society says matters :) It doesn't matter whether they like it or not cause they're still not gonna label themselves just cause society labels them. Got it? Good  B)

well unlike you everybody doesn't follow in what society says matters :) It doesn't matter whether they like it or not cause they're still not gonna label themselves just cause society labels them. Got it? Good B)

I got it but they clearly don't matter. Their family, friends, etc label them for what they are

Raven is a lesbo and she can pretend she's not.. But she is what she is

I love her, I do, but I've never understood a lot of these "anti-labeling" arguments. If you're being labeled correctly, then what does it matter? Categorizing is a human trait. It helps us understand our world and relate to each other. It isn't intrinsically bad. It's just nature. If you are " a doctor who specializes in the treatment of the skin", are you not also a "dermatologist"? If you are a "female homosexual", are you not also a "lesbian"? The way labels/definitions work is whether you describe yourself in detail or with just one or two words you're basically saying the same thing. That's just what you are. There's honestly no reason to get upset with it. 

• Upvote 2

I get it, she doesn't want anything about her to be boxed, or limited, or at least she refuses to do it herself, Im conviinced she's not gay, that she is in fact (tho it's still labeling her) bi-sexual, because that's a common side I get from bi guys & gals. And being 1 myself I'm like that to an extent, but it doesn't matter me when people cattegorize me, it just matters how I view myself basically, and that shold be all of us, that basically our labels are limitations & expectations and refusing to go by them is a way to leave yourself open. But the contradiction of it all is if your someone who doesn't want to label themselfvels, you're labeling yourself that LOL

That's my understanding of it all. 

I get it, she doesn't want anything about her to be boxed, or limited, or at least she refuses to do it herself, Im conviinced she's not gay, that she is in fact (tho it's still labeling her) bi-sexual, because that's a common side I get from bi guys & gals. And being 1 myself I'm like that to an extent, but it doesn't matter me when people cattegorize me, it just matters how I view myself basically, and that shold be all of us, that basically our labels are limitations & expectations and refusing to go by them is a way to leave yourself open. But the contradiction of it all is if your someone who doesn't want to label themselfvels, you're labeling yourself that LOL

I still don't understand it. I mean there are many words we have given to describe what we feel. If you don't believe that one applies to you then simply change it. Language evolves with us. You aren't stuck with it forever. Little Richard has changed what he labels himself for YEARS. Sexuality can be very fluid for many people. There's nothing wrong with that. She can label herself as bisexual or even pansexual if she's open to just about anyone. They're labels and they fit the idea of herself she's claiming better. I'm bi as well, as you know, but even in the context of myself I can't make sense of this running from being labeled. Again, if you're labeled correctly then what's the problem?

• Upvote 1

There's no literal limit or box that holds her (or anyone) back from doing what she wants to do  

To dismiss "labels" and "categories" is just an egotistical way of expressing yourself... "I enjoy penises in my mouth and women are not attractive... but I'm not gay".. Nah.. You're just a douche 

I still don't understand it. I mean there are many words we have given to describe what we feel. If you don't believe that one applies to you then simply change it. Language evolves with us. You aren't stuck with it forever. Little Richard has changed what he labels himself for YEARS. Sexuality can be very fluid for many people. There's nothing wrong with that. She can label herself as bisexual or even pansexual if she's open to just about anyone. They're labels and they fit the idea of herself she's claiming better. I'm bi as well, as you know, but even in the context of myself I can't make sense of this running from being labeled. Again, if you're labeled correctly then what's the problem?

I feel you, I think what it is is when our titles change you have to somewhat explain that, OR you don't want to be a refference or face of a label. That's what I gather from the folks I know like that. Like I really think it's about leaving the door open to make all the changes about you you want without having to explain or change your title

• Upvote 1

I feel you, I think what it is is when our titles change you have to somewhat explain that, OR you don't want to be a refference or face of a label. That's what I gather from the folks I know like that. Like I really think it's about leaving the door open to make all the changes about you you want without having to explain or change your title

I can definitely understand the frustration of explaining yourself sometimes. It can be a pain, but sometimes it is necessary just for the sake of human interaction. Talking to each other makes for better connections. Being a reference or a face can come with the territory which while also potentially frustrating is also necessary. I mean I'd rather my non-bi friends use me as a reference on my experiences of bisexuality instead of assuming things. Same for just about any other label I give myself. Once again, it makes for better connections. We're all free to explore and come to understand ourselves how we see fit, but if we want connection then we have to be able and willing to communicate.

• Upvote 1