How come social media doesn't reflect sales?

EphraimAdamz

Liking a personality for reasons other than the artists actual music doesn't translate into sales, no more than anyone following Kim Kardashian would buy a CD from her if she put one out....and just because you do like an artist's music doesn't mean you will actually purchase it, especially when you can get it for free. If artists sell anything its a single, the album is kinda dead as a format

• Upvote 2

Basically the album as it is now is just a tool to advertise concerts and appearances where the artist can make some real money. They can't depend on album or single sales to pay bills anymore. And if you can't even get people to come pay to see you in person you are really fucked.

All true Lipton :coffee: apparently selling concert tickets was where an artist really made bank, because even when they sold albums they only got so much of a cut  on the dollar per price point. Janet had one of the largest album percentages ever :yep:

Back in the day, radio play could determine how many people might buy the music. But today people with millions of twitter followers and youtube views only push 20,000 units. What's your thoughts on this?

1) The music sucks

2) Just bc people "follow" someone on Twitter/Facebook FOR FREE, doesn't mean they're going to buy their latest project

3) "Illegal" downloads 

Also (this isn't the biggest factor by any means, but...) if you follow a lot of active accounts, tweets can get drowned out on the timeline. I usually find I have to go directly to their page to find out anything I might have missed (if I care enough to lol).
  • Upvote 1

Here's what NOBODY said (Im shocked that nobody has), just because you watch a video because it's what everyones talking about doesn't mean you like the song (Taylor Swift's Shake It Off, J.Lo's Booty & ofcourse Nicki's Anaconda are prime examples). And that's the problem with streaming being able to count so heavily for singles. It's sad because the rule creators for this should know better.

Also I think it's because we can "sample" an album before deciding to buy(if we even do) that is killing the industry, you couldn't do that before, you got the artists singles, and you had to buy that album with the trust & hope that it's something good and it turns out to be bad lol. Now you can not only sample but buy specific songs you like most times.

Here's what NOBODY said (Im shocked that nobody has), just because you watch a video because it's what everyones talking about doesn't mean you like the song (Taylor Swift's Shake It Off, J.Lo's Booty & ofcourse Nicki's Anaconda are prime examples). And that's the problem with streaming being able to count so heavily for singles. It's sad because the rule creators for this should know better.

Also I think it's because we can "sample" an album before deciding to buy(if we even do) that is killing the industry, you couldn't do that before, you got the artists singles, and you had to buy that album with the trust & hope that it's something good and it turns out to be bad lol. Now you can not only sample but buy specific songs you like most times.

That's not the same as Social Media though. I can watch Nicki Minaj's video but I'm not going to follow her on Facebook.. You're thinking music video views... but I get what you're saying

Sampling before I buy is useful but why sample it when I can have the entire thing within minutes without spending a dime

That's not the same as Social Media though. I can watch Nicki Minaj's video but I'm not going to follow her on Facebook.. You're thinking music video views... but I get what you're saying

Sampling before I buy is useful but why sample it when I can have the entire thing within minutes without spending a dime

Ah, I thought it all was basically the same tent lol

Oh I agree whole heartedly, theres albums I got based off of my like fo r the singles that was basially a waste because there were almost NO album tracks I liked (Britney's 2nd & 3rd albums), and really like everyone saying it's the industries fault for not doing everything they can to use that as a tool when they could. 

Im wondering if the music industry is going to go the way of "Blockbuster vs. Neflix/Redbox".... Blockbuster made the fatal mistake to not join with Netflix, the musc industry is making a fatal mistake with not thinking outside the decaying box of sales.

Ah, I thought it all was basically the same tent lol

Oh I agree whole heartedly, theres albums I got based off of my like fo r the singles that was basially a waste because there were almost NO album tracks I liked (Britney's 2nd & 3rd albums), and really like everyone saying it's the industries fault for not doing everything they can to use that as a tool when they could.

Im wondering if the music industry is going to go the way of "Blockbuster vs. Neflix/Redbox".... Blockbuster made the fatal mistake to not join with Netflix, the musc industry is making a fatal mistake with not thinking outside the decaying box of sales.

Nah.. Different tent.. Same camp

The singles era is where we're at and once every while we'll get an Adele or Justin T whose album is amazing.

The music industry has changed for the new era (unlike Blockbuster)... From releasing singles digitally, to counting Streams and views.. The problem is, they aren't making much money on 70% of $1.29

Nah.. Different tent.. Same camp

The singles era is where we're at and once every while we'll get an Adele whose album is amazing.

The music industry has changed for the new era (unlike Blockbuster)... From releasing singles digitally, to counting Streams and views.. The problem is, they aren't making much money on 70% of $1.29

Oh yes Adeles album is great and worth every bit of slayage it accomplished, but I don't agree that as a whole most albums that don't sell like that aren't good, I think another component is the marketting because theirs pleanty of albums that get major praise and major fan reception (Banks) but if they don't have songs in commercials, if they don't have videos endorsing products, if they arent doing performances & tours sponsored by billion dollar companies, nobody's gonna give 2 shits because nobody's gonna know that album exists like I found out about Banks from word of mouth.

Yea but I saw this documentary and they were saying how the industry could've/should've joined up with Napstar and that would've helped alot today, But they also pointed out alot of the Napstar founders went on to work for Itunes & 1 is the head of spotify.

1) The music sucks

2) Just bc people "follow" someone on Twitter/Facebook FOR FREE, doesn't mean they're going to buy their latest project

3) "Illegal" downloads 

okay so you're young, and even you think the music sucks? I mean there was and probably will always be the debate of how much better one generation's music was better than the next, but to have someone in a generation say yea our music sucks.....that's very telling. :filenails:

• Upvote 1

okay so you're young, and even you think the music sucks? I mean there was and probably will always be the debate of how much better one generation's music was better than the next, but to have someone in a generation say yea our music sucks.....that's very telling. :filenails:

You were there? 

That Grande chick is shit... That Iggy is a fraud (Aaliyah teas)

I can handle SOME of the current hits but some are just pure shit.. 

Yea it's telling of 1 persons opinion, not every young person is obliged to like or stand up for current music. Hell Im EXTREMELY critical about my whole generation of artists, but I chop it to it's just like most generations, you have the good and you have the bad, you have to look alot harder for the good these days but they're there, and if the bad has the right endorsements and sponsors supporting them, they get more noticed, which is what happens today.

Yea it's telling of 1 persons opinion, not every young person is obliged to like or stand up for current music. Hell Im EXTREMELY critical about my whole generation of artists, but I chop it to it's just like most generations, you have the good and you have the bad, you have to look alot harder for the good these days but they're there, and if the bad has the right endorsements and sponsors supporting them, they get more noticed, which is what happens today.

that whole looking harder part is an issue, look in the 90s it wasn't this hard

that whole looking harder part is an issue, look in the 90s it wasn't this hard

It really wasn't, I hate that, but these record companies don't have the money like they use to to sign every singer that could hold some notes like they use to, it's mostly about selling a image or style these days sadly

• Upvote 2