Track-By-Track Review: Taylor Swift - 1989

Rock & Roll Hall of Game

1989 is Taylor Swift's fifth album but first pop record (ignoring most songs on Red). 

1. Welcome to New York - Cute song about her traveling to NYC. Catchy-yet forgettable - 3/5

2. Blank Space - A fun song about her love life we all know about. As she sings in a joyful way "And You Know I love the players; And you love the game". I'd consider this Taylor Swift's version of Katy Perry's "Dark Horse" without a rapper and better vocals. - 3.5/10

3. Style - Describing her relationship being "not out of style". Ehhh - 2.5/10

4. Out of the Woods - The song is catchy if you listen to it 5+ times. A catchy song that takes you on a instrumental and vocal roller coaster. 4/5

5. All You Had To Do Was Stay - Ehh.. it's Never Getting Back Together Again part 2, without the catchy hook. 2/5

6. Shake It Off - Catchy funky song that went #1 on Billboard Hot 100 with a good, simple video. 4.5/5

7. I Wish You Would - A song about regret for leaving a boy. Has potential but pretty forgettable. 3/5

8. Bad Blood - A song about break-up; A man who cheated on Taylor Swift. The chorus rings through the speakers "Now we got bad blood; You know it use to be mad love". 3.5/5

9. Wildest Dreams - A song about a guy (common theme) who Taylor's eyeing as boyfriend #2093. She coos, wanting the mystery man to fantasize about her. The hook is very catchy. 4/5

10. How You Get the Girl - Instructions for heterosexual men who wondered how Taylor Swift got back her girls. Despite the horrible theme of this song, it's still kind of catchy but I feel like she's preaching to the choir. 3.6/5

11. This Love - Tracks 1-10 are uptempo/midtempo songs. Track 11, This Love, breaks the streak as this album's first ballad. Vocally beautiful; I can hear this being a hit single. This song is dedicated to a savior of Taylor Swift's love life. Beautifully written and produced. 4.2/5

12. I Know Places - Ehhh Filler. Sounds like a denied Britney Spears song

13. Clean - Taylor sings about getting over an ex in this song. 3.6/5

Im going to check it out, from what I've been hearing (from peoples opinions I trust) it's what they thought Britney's album should've been, I've been hearing alot of "Britney" in the good way or "Old school Britney"

I haven't listened to it all but, how could people think this could be like Britney at all?  Britney cannot sing.  Not that Taylor is a vocal powerhouse but she has a cute tone and can follow a melody etc and harmonize within reason.

I haven't listened to it all but, how could people think this could be like Britney at all?  Britney cannot sing.  Not that Taylor is a vocal powerhouse but she has a cute tone and can follow a melody etc and harmonize within reason.

What Game said, nobody's said she sounds like Britney, it's more that the songs are Britney-esque

Better than I expected too...but some of the tracks reek of desperation. I don't get the Britney comparisons though.

On first listen, Style, This Love and Clean are my favourites. Shake It Off and Out Of The Woods have surprisingly grown on me. Blank Space is awful. I can't remember the rest but I'll listen to it again tonight.