Janet Rewind Discussion: The Elopement

In 1984, at 18 years old, Janet Jackson eloped with James DeBarge

What do you think was going through Janet's mind at the time? 

How do you feel about this quote from People's Magazine?: 

A&M record executive John McClain, who feared the marriage would torpedo Janet's fledgling career. "I tried to convince her that she's a teen idol and people just wouldn't accept it," says McClain, who, after eight months of hounding, persuaded her to annul the pact. Asked how he justifies his actions, McClain responds, "Hey—I'm trying to make her a star!"

Do you think Janet regrets it? 

Question 1: That she was looking for her independance away from her family, and with her 1st love.

Question 2: Eh, not bothered, but it is a lil "thats business", and the marriage wasn't gaining her anything worth while when she was in it...which leads me to...

Question 3: Nope, that was a huge part of her taking control, and toughening up for  a whole different kind of experience that she used and helped build her for the road that followed in terms of success & personal decisions.

Yeah I agree on looking for independence. I also trust her own words... she thought by marrying him, she could change him for the better. James proved to be abusive especially in his later years, so she kinda dodged a bullet. And I wouldn't say she regrets it. If anything, she learned from the experience and it's helped shaped her into the amazing person she is today. It's part of life.