Why Chris Rock Really Regrets Joking about Janet Jackson

Bailey

Are there any jokes envelope-pushing comedian Chris Rock wishes he could take back? Nope. Well, maybe just one.

Sitting down with PEOPLE for an interview in this week's issue to discuss what he's learned from a career of making people laugh, the comic and star of the upcoming film Top Five, recalls one joke that does still sting.

"I remember when Janet Jackson [had that wardrobe malfunction] at the Super Bowl. I told a joke like 'You can't just whip out a 40-year-old t--!' Now, anytime I see Janet Jackson to this day she looks at me like she's ready to scratch my eyes out!"

As for making a few enemies, "It does suck sometimes," says Rock. "If you had told me when I was a kid that Charlene from Diff'rent Strokes isn't going to like me I would have thought you were crazy!"

But as they say, what's done is done. "I had to do it," Rock says with a sheepish smile and a shrug, "It's my job. I can't take the joke back, but man it would be nice for Janet Jackson to like me. God bless her, I wish her well."

http://www.people.com/article/chris-rock-janet-jackson-wardrobe-malfunction-joke-regret-interview

• Upvote 1

Did he and Janet have a past or something because he has mentioned her on pretty much every interview he has done for flop five.  He mentioned Janet on the breakfast club and he mentioned it on the local dc news along with his jokes about our former mayor.   Maybe he smashed  :unsure:

Did he and Janet have a past or something because he has mentioned her on pretty much every interview he has done for flop five. He mentioned Janet on the breakfast club and he mentioned it on the local dc news along with his jokes about our former mayor. Maybe he smashed :unsure:

Idk about if they had a "past" but they certainly knew each other for awhile. They had been pictured together a few times. Chris was even pictured backstage with Janet at TVR tour, he had went to see the show back in 98' ..so they do somewhat know each other

:umm:

REGARDLESS to whether or not anybody thinks he was or wasn't, it's highly unlikely you'll remain friends with Janet if you publically call her brother a molestor and say he should go to jail regardless.

I didn't know he called MJ the greatest...after he died. Even though he went on to crack a joke about Propofol. I think comedians just make everything into a joke so I never know if he's being genuine or joking :lol:. That's why they rub people the wrong way (Joan had almost as many haters as she did people that loved her). 

Did he and Janet have a past or something because he has mentioned her on pretty much every interview he has done for flop five.  He mentioned Janet on the breakfast club and he mentioned it on the local dc news along with his jokes about our former mayor.   Maybe he smashed  :unsure:

I remember when he joked about her and Jermaine at the VMA's :lmao:. He clearly was pissed that she was with him lol

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Says the person that up until last year, wouldn't even acknowledge that Janet and Julissa had rehearsed the reveal before doing it before the cameras.  

Oh.  :coffee:

Let it go. In Games eyes, he can shoot someone and it'd be the fault to the gun store owner.

• Upvote 1

Says the person that up until last year, wouldn't even acknowledge that Janet and Julissa had rehearsed the reveal before doing it before the cameras.  

Oh.  :coffee:

Of course they rehearsed it... Janet rehearses all of her ideas 

Let it go. In Games eyes, he can shoot someone and it'd be the fault to the gun store owner.

First off.. I'm always the member who believes not pushing the blame onto someone else.. Taking responsibility... Not scapegoating the situation. People want to blame Dr. Murray.. but I do not... People want to blame the drug dealers.. I don't..

In your exaggerated example.. Janet bought Justin the gun.. Told her to shoot at her but he shot her