The Official "Empire" thread

Bailey

I'm still trying to get into this show.  It will out do scandal in the ratings because young people watch it as well as adults but it is not as good in terms of the writing.  

yes I missed the first episode but after the 2nd and 3rd i'm already hooked. I'm glad Fox got another hit and the show just happens to be for an urban audience so I know plenty of blacks and latinos watch it. It doesn't matter what network it was gonna be on it was gonna be a hit with the urban folk

http://www.mtv.com/news/2055757/empire-jussie-smollett-jamal-spoilers/

MTV: And finally, there are a lot of amazing guest stars on “Empire” — Gladys Knight, Raven Symone, Courtney Love, etc. Is there any chance we’re going to see Oprah at Empire Entertainment? 

Smollett: I have heard whispers about that! Obviously, that would be the dream. I think Oprah should sit down with Jamal Lyon and do a “Next Chapter,” or maybe a at home special with the Lyon family. That would be a hot mess. She would be the ultimate guest star. I have a few dream guest stars, personally, but Oprah would be amazing. 

MTV: Who are they? 

Smollett: I would love — no, I would die — if Kanye West or Janet Jackson came on the show.

:coffee: someone call Ms. Jackson 

I Love it, to me it's like the black Dallas. In the comparison to Scandal, I think I'd prefer this only because as shady and unpredictable as Scandal is, all the romance turns me the hell off because it's a bit too.....unreal, over the top & too much/frequent. But with Empire (so far at least) the romance moments are few between, i think Empire is more for a masculine audience than Scandal is. But I love both shows

yes I missed the first episode but after the 2nd and 3rd i'm already hooked. I'm glad Fox got another hit and the show just happens to be for an urban audience so I know plenty of blacks and latinos watch it. It doesn't matter what network it was gonna be on it was gonna be a hit with the urban folk

True.  This last episode was the best so far.  The storylines are picking up now and they are doing less singing in between the dialogue.  The first 2 episodes were like a hip hop glee. 

bafta.jpg

Lee Daniels needs to make that call. :yep:   Maybe next season. She could team up with Cookie.

I Love it, to me it's like the black Dallas. In the comparison to Scandal, I think I'd prefer this only because as shady and unpredictable as Scandal is, all the romance turns me the hell off because it's a bit too.....unreal, over the top & too much/frequent. But with Empire (so far at least) the romance moments are few between, i think Empire is more for a masculine audience than Scandal is. But I love both shows

True  Its good to see this type of diversity on TV. Never in my lifetime has there been 3 black women holding it down on primetime TV in lead roles.  Kerry, Taraji and Viola.  we need more of it to drown out the reality TV garbage.

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh really?! I can't imagine Monique playing Cookie now that Taraji is there.  I do not doubt Monique's acting ability, but I'm glad she didn't get the part. Taraji brings enough sass and vulnerability to the role.

According to her, Lee wanted her to be in it but Fox refused because apparently she's difficult to work with. According to Lee, she made demands during Precious and didn't "play the game" like an Oscar nominee should and that blackballed her. Somethign to do with her not going to the Canens Film Festival to promote Precious. She said she didn't want to go to Cannes though because of her family.

But she hit back to Lee with:

“It wasn’t that I was blackballed like Mr. Daniels said… the phone was ringing and the scripts were coming but the offers that were associated with them made me say ‘I can’t accept that,’” she explained, adding that taking such offers would have sent a negative message to other African-American women. “If we continue to accept these low offers, how do we make a change?” she asked.

Apparently Taraji is responsible for the casting of her co-star Terrence Howard. Taraji in a recent interview said when approached by the shows producers, she basically would only do it if they cast Terrence Howard. Their on screen chemistry began with the movie "Hustle and Flow"

Its nice to see a woman in Hollywood know her worth and what she can demand and actually get it.

I watch it.  I'm really happy for Taraji since I heard they did her wrong on her last show. Good to see her holding it down.  I still have my reservations on Terrance Howard.  With the exception of The Best Man and The Best Man Holiday, he always sounds like he's 2 seconds away from crying in all of his scenes.  I'm just not a fan of him.

I'm really excited to see TV diversity.  I haven't been this excited since the mid to late 90s.  I'm hoping the success of these shows (Scandal, HTGAWM, Empire, and if they can ever get Sleepy Hollow back on track), will pave the way for other diverse shows of different ethnicities and backgrounds.  It's nice to see people just being people.

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

Cookie is EVERYTHING.  I hope she gets nominated for an Emmy.

Jamal is soooo sexy.

And it's defying everything about television..ratings, controversy..just everything.

Slay.

Stylistically it is one of the best done shows on air period. The fact that it features an entirely African American lead cast defies the notion that well executed programs featuring people of color do not perform on a large scale.

Some of the best moments on the show include guest appearances, by everyone and anyone in popular African American pop culture. Guest star appearances from Naomi Campbell, Gladys Knight, Cuba Gooding Jr, adds to the excitement of the show's highlights.

I love what this show is doing, it's refreshing to see a show that showcases the diversity of the real world. I must say I am not drawn to Terrence Howard, I find his acting one dimensional and painfully predictable. Taraj as Cookie adds all the spice this show gets, and I hope they find better characters than guest stars to anchor the show in a greater capacity.

Its a great soap opera, played out on a grandiose scale, I like the daring nature behind the show's premise, thus far it truly lives up to the title "Empire" ....there's some great humor in the play between Cookie and Leon's current fiance, Anika, I live for their bitch fest :lol: and I love the fact Gaboury Sidibe's chracter is named "Becky" :lmao:

• Upvote 1