The Official 2016 Presidential Campaign Thread

Reyna ♔

• 2 weeks later...

Bernie Sanders is running for president

fd035b16b971010a358c4d2218a99010.jpg

The independent Vermont senator announced his run in an email to supporters and media sent just after midnight early Thursday morning.

"After a year of travel, discussion and dialogue, I have decided to be a candidate for the Democratic nomination for president," he wrote in the email, highlighting economic inequality, climate change and the Citizens United Supreme Court decisions as key issues spurring him to run.

Sanders first confirmed to the Associated Press in a story published Wednesday that he plans to run for the Democrats' 2016 presidential nomination.

"People should not underestimate me," Sanders told The Associated Press. "I've run outside of the two-party system, defeating Democrats and Republicans, taking on big-money candidates and, you know, I think the message that has resonated in Vermont is a message that can resonate all over this country."

Sanders is an outspoken critic of Wall Street banks and the outsized influence of money in politics and is a supporter of universal health care. He regularly talks about the need to rebuild the middle class and raise taxes on America's highest earners.

In interviews before his campaign announcement, Sanders said trade, income inequality and health care would be key tenants of his run. But despite having vocal liberal supporters on these issues, Sanders is a dark horse candidate and has acknowledged that his run will be uphill.

Sanders enters a race that has so far been dominated by Clinton, the former secretary of state and Democrats' prohibitive favorite for the nomination. For most of 2015, Sanders has been reticent to attack Clinton, but he recently has issued statements calling on her to change her policy positions.

Read more here: http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/29/politics/bernie-sanders-announces-presidential-run/

_________________________________________________________________________________________

The blue is why I'm excited about his running for president. He may not get the nomination, but he will certainly be the one to shift the political conversation to where it belongs.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...