I, Janet: Essence Magazine September 2001

bu.

Lets just keep it all the way real, Janet used to give us layers and layers of creativity, layers and layers of lyrics, layers and layers of pure genius...then she popped out her titty and she became this one dimensional entity that focused on love and getting her pussy wet. Sure we had some gems like 'Enjoy' that strayed from her normal 'come hither' banter but she was basically stuck creatively and even her lyrics kinda took a backseat. Jimmy mentioned her not being inspired to write and it shows. The music is not bad, its just not up to Janets caliber. Its obvious she has a knack for writing, so why even  diminish your creativity just to try to appeal to this popcorn generation. Discipline was actually a step in the right direction imo, but its still not up to par to her other album. I cant with 20YO or Damita Jo.

• Upvote 2

Not every album has to tell a story or be conceptual.

On 20 she was having fun but "Discipline" is deeper than most people realize. I remember reading this interview where she spoke in detail about a couple songs and how it related to the "Discipline" theme and to her life.

Here it is:

I remember reading that article and being excited to hear the music because it sounded like she would be conveying some other emotion instead of lusting after somebody. Then I got the album and realized that nothing she was talking about in that article, about the struggles of discipline, was actually on the album. It was her normal upbeat, happy album that focused mainly on love and sex.

I remember when this article was brand new it was when I was new in my Janet fandom. But this didn't make me as mad at Rene as I was at that bitch of a Nurse lol

Personally I think that the story goes from Control-Damita Jo, to me Damita Jo is still a lil look into her life, not as in-depth as it previously with Damita Jo she was in love, now 20 Oh No & Disappointment tho I do love both albums both albums don't stand up to Damita Jo or fit any of the story (as a whole album, certain sons I think do)

Lets just keep it all the way real, Janet used to give us layers and layers of creativity, layers and layers of lyrics, layers and layers of pure genius...then she popped out her titty and she became this one dimensional entity that focused on love and getting her pussy wet. Sure we had some gems like 'Enjoy' that strayed from her normal 'come hither' banter but she was basically stuck creatively and even her lyrics kinda took a backseat. Jimmy mentioned her not being inspired to write and it shows. The music is not bad, its just not up to Janets caliber. Its obvious she has a knack for writing, so why even  diminish your creativity just to try to appeal to this popcorn generation. Discipline was actually a step in the right direction imo, but its still not up to par to her other album. I cant with 20YO or Damita Jo.

I 100% agree with that

I remember reading that article and being excited to hear the music because it sounded like she would be conveying some other emotion instead of lusting after somebody. Then I got the album and realized that nothing she was talking about in that article, about the struggles of discipline, was actually on the album. It was her normal upbeat, happy album that focused mainly on love and sex.

What's funny is the article had the oppesite effect on me. it made me appreciate Truth, Trust A Ty, Son Of A Gun, & ofcourse in my opinion 1 of her most underrated masterpieces of all time Better Days.

• Upvote 1

This to me is Janet best and most personal interview. This interview I must admit made me dislike Rene a lot. It made me feel empathy for James DeBarge. And made me understand her love for Michael. She said what she had to say but wasn't trash talking anyone. She said just enough to let you know what it was. Which has always been Janet's MO.

You're a mess :lol: that was one of my first few posts on that forum. I wonder where all those people went.

rehab facility, jail or possibly an insane asylum :rolleyes: .... Its funny because a lot of them bounced after the Super Bowl incident, then we got a whole new batch of characters that brought along their oWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWn brand of crazy. :rolleyes:

rehab facility, jail or possibly an insane asylum :rolleyes: .... Its funny because a lot of them bounced after the Super Bowl incident, then we got a whole new batch of characters that brought along their oWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWn brand of crazy. :rolleyes:

That is true.  A lot of them left during the Superbowl incident.  That was just a tough time to be a fan.  I remember the innumerable racist comments that were all over her forum before the whole thing crashed.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW was a special brand of crazy :lol:  That was just a nut.  That timespan spawned some of the weirdest trolls I've ever seen.

Did you ever keep in touch with any of them?  Even though he came around 2005, I honestly miss ALoveSupreme, and I really hope he's well, wherever he is.

• Upvote 1

I remember ALoveSupreme. I joined in 2006/7 so I probably missed a lot of the older members but there were still so many great members around then. It's great to see some of them are still here. 

• Upvote 1

I remember ALoveSupreme. I joined in 2006/7 so I probably missed a lot of the older members but there were still so many great members around then. It's great to see some of them are still here. 

True, but it's nice to see some newer faces coming along and add to the family since that time.  You being one of them :)

I also remember that forum crashing (I was still a lurker then lol) ~ couldn't view it for weeks!

I wonder what planet Xfusion is up to these days. He took unique to unprecedented levels lol

actually now that you mention it I too remember the forum going down(Xone)..I was finishing my degree that year, it was not a good time for us fans, but I love how Janet never got on TV crying and pleading, she kept it moving. There was a tour in the works, could have been a great year but shit hit the fan and it got to be too much...I remember radio was playing Janet and within a few months the plugged was pulled hard

That is true.  A lot of them left during the Superbowl incident.  That was just a tough time to be a fan.  I remember the innumerable racist comments that were all over her forum before the whole thing crashed.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW was a special brand of crazy :lol:  That was just a nut.  That timespan spawned some of the weirdest trolls I've ever seen.

Did you ever keep in touch with any of them?  Even though he came around 2005, I honestly miss ALoveSupreme, and I really hope he's well, wherever he is.

it truly was a tough time. my blood pressure was through the roof having to defend Janet from left to right. -_-

it definitely had issues -_-  . that whole time period was like the television show Sleepy Hollow and every week we had a different monster/creature we had to defeat :lol:  Justin Timberlake was Moloch of course <_<  :rolleyes:

I miss he. I miss the AnG's. :lol:  We started so many forum trends back then, well it was really you....but I helped come up with some of the idea's. I guess I was the Rene to your Janet :rolleyes: ...you still never compensated me from that album I helped manage >_<  I still cant believe that Japtok was that ghetto girl lol. That thread was a fool :lmao:

• Upvote 1

it truly was a tough time. my blood pressure was through the roof having to defend Janet from left to right. -_-

it definitely had issues -_- . that whole time period was like the television show Sleepy Hollow and every week we had a different monster/creature we had to defeat :lol: Justin Timberlake was Moloch of course <_<:rolleyes:

I miss he. I miss the AnG's. :lol: We started so many forum trends back then, well it was really you....but I helped come up with some of the idea's. I guess I was the Rene to your Janet :rolleyes: ...you still never compensated me from that album I helped manage >_< I still cant believe that Japtok was that ghetto girl lol. That thread was a fool :lmao:

*DEAD* at your Sleept Hollow comparison. I LOVE that show even though Season 2 was a nightmare. :lol:

I miss the AnGs! And I forgot about my album and my sangles lol. Your check is in the mail :lol:

Japtok was HILARIOUS. I'm crying laughing thinking about that Ghetto Girl thread. That was one of the funniest threads on the forum. We had a lot of forum members with multiple personalities but it made it fun :lol:

• Upvote 1

He was but he was a rip off of another madge fan named Love Profusion. He was a piece of work, but we loved him just the same.

Yea LoveProfusion was the original. He convinced me to sign up on Facebook almost 10 years ago and we were friends. Then he kept talking shit about Janet so I unceremoniously unfriended him. I don't play when it comes to her :lol:

Hilton tried but he didn't have the same shade as LoveProfusion but he was sweet.

I also remember that forum crashing (I was still a lurker then lol) ~ couldn't view it for weeks!

I wonder what planet Xfusion is up to these days. He took unique to unprecedented levels lol

Xfusion was the most enigmatic member ever! I didn't understand 90% of what he said except when he started using racial epithets :lol:

it definitely had issues -_-  . that whole time period was like the television show Sleepy Hollow and every week we had a different monster/creature we had to defeat :lol:  Justin Timberlake was Moloch of course <_<  :rolleyes:

I miss he. I miss the AnG's. :lol:  We started so many forum trends back then, well it was really you....but I helped come up with some of the idea's. I guess I was the Rene to your Janet :rolleyes: ...you still never compensated me from that album I helped manage >_<  I still cant believe that Japtok was that ghetto girl lol. That thread was a fool :lmao:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: