Tidal Flops:Drops Out of iTunes' Top 700 Chart

jarrylf

The music mogul and a few of his famous friends—including Kanye WestNicki MinajDeadmau5Daft PunkAlicia KeysRihanna and wife Beyoncélaunched the Tidal app last month, a new music streaming service that was billed as "the first music streaming service that combines the best high fidelity sound quality, high definition music videos and expertly curated editorial."

But the talking point? The price. Tidal is not a free service. Users have a choice between paying $10 a month for digital audio-quality (a compressed format similar to what you get with Spotify) or $20 a month for CD-quality sound.

And it turns out that people are not a fan.

Two weeks after Tidal briefly cracked the U.S. iPhone top 20 download chart, the app has crashed out of the top 700, according to BGR. Do you understand what that means? There are 700 other apps that people like more than Tidal. That's gotta hurt.

So why the drastic flop? Well, despite being backed by some huge names, it seems like users couldn't get behind an app that charged so much money when there were other apps that offered basically the same service for much less (if not free), charging the debate that argues Tidal is moreso for the artists than the consumers.

In fact, BGR also reports that as of April 20, Pandora and Spotify occupied positions No. 3 and No. 4 on the U.S. iPhone revenue chart, respectively. This was the first time two music streaming services have hit the top 4 in sales simultaneously.

However, Hov's app could make a comeback. This follows news from Friday that saw Tidal lay off 25 employees, including its founding CEO Andy Chen. According to Business Insider, a memo from the company said, "We've eliminated a handful of positions and refocused our company-wide talent to address departments that need support and cut redundancies." 

http://www.eonline.com/news/648826/jay-z-s-tidal-app-flops-music-streaming-service-drops-out-of-itunes-top-700-chart

It was a big gamble, when they mention revenue, two of Iphone's top 5 are music streaming, which means it does matter to people. I think the whole gathering of the musicians was a poor marketing ploy, and was satired. The price point is way off, if I thought about it like buying new music, today's music isn't worth me spending 20 bucks a month, that's like two cd's and I cannot think of two acts a month every month that I would buy....not even two :filenails:

• Upvote 1

Jay Z dragging all my faves into this mess... And now he's supposedly putting his album with Bey on there. 

I don't stream music so I have no need for this or Spotify tbh. The exclusive thing is stupid. Nothing is exclusive to a streaming site because a saint will rip it and leak it. 

This whole mess is "Record labels vs Napster" all over again but this time with rich artists. 

• Upvote 1

Jay Z dragging all my faves into this mess... And now he's supposedly putting his album with Bey on there.

I don't stream music so I have no need for this or Spotify tbh. The exclusive thing is stupid. Nothing is exclusive to a streaming site because a saint will rip it and leak it.

This whole mess is "Record labels vs Napster" all over again but this time with rich artists.

At least Napster didn't give the rich more money

Right I HATE Rihanna's involved in this but since he owns her soul I'm not surprised. Alicia's disappointing tho.

At least Napster didn't give the rich more money

Nnnn!! :lmao:

Right I HATE Rihanna's involved in this but since he owns her soul I'm not surprised. Alicia's disappointing tho.

I hate that Bey is involved too tbh. Just say no :rolleyes:. It's funny how Jay Z seems to be doing everything as a collabo these days.. The joint Kanye album, Kanye joint tour, Samsung deal with Magna Carta album, tour with JT, tour with Bey,Tidal with all these artists and now a supposed album with Bey. It's almost like he can't stand on his own anymore.

• Upvote 2

I hate that Bey is involved too tbh. Just say no :rolleyes:. It's funny how Jay Z seems to be doing everything as a collabo these days.. The joint Kanye album, Kanye joint tour, Samsung deal with Magna Carta album, tour with JT, tour with Bey,Tidal with all these artists and now a supposed album with Bey. It's almost like he can't stand on his own anymore.

Yea that doesn't really surprise me, like I've said before Jay post retirement has very rarely wow'd or impressed me musically or as a artist, and I think his image today is larger than his musical strength. Maybe he's at the point where that's OK, but basically I can see him being the rap Madonna, leaning on peers & lessors for relevance/success, like you pointed out the signs are there, just him alone isn't what it was before the "retirement"/break.

Whoever did their PR should be fired. It was pretentious as hell. A bunch of rich people asking for more money. Regardless, they ended up being an excellent promo machine for their competitors.

I know that's right, Im on Spotify everyday and I saw some artists go from single thousand subscribers to hundred thousand subscribers recently since that flop came on the scene.

Janet dont even know what a 'tidal' is.. she aint on this planet no more :lol:

She probably thinks it's a charity to help tsunami victims. I still kii when I think about the time Gil said Janet asked what a retweet was :asham:

Unless their album is coming out in the next couple of months it is no point.  This company will be so far in the ground nothing will be able to save it.  Every exclusive video and song they have released has been put on youtube.  I feel bad for J Cole and no one else.  I know apple we be throwing much shade when they launch their streaming app. 

Unless their album is coming out in the next couple of months it is no point.  This company will be so far in the ground nothing will be able to save it.  Every exclusive video and song they have released has been put on youtube.  I feel bad for J Cole and no one else.  I know apple we be throwing much shade when they launch their streaming app. 

I hope the hive drags him if it's real and a Tidal "exclusive" that will be on Youtube/Torrents within minutes