Too Pretty To Be Paid: Study Shows Attractive Men Get Fewer Job Offers

janetDAYZ

It’s not just women who get penalized for being fine in the workplace.

Apparently fellas have it even worse, with interviewers often refusing to offer them job positions despite their qualifications, fearful that their fineness will overshadow them in the long run. Via MailOnline:

You might think that good-looking men have every advantage in life. But a new study suggests being handsome may not always work in a man’s favour – at least when it comes to his career.

The research claims that attractive men are less likely to be given a job in a competitive workplace because they intimidate bosses.

‘It’s not always an advantage to be pretty,’ says Marko Pitesa, an assistant professor at the University of Maryland. ‘It can backfire if you are perceived as a threat.’

Interestingly, in Pitesa’s study, it was male attractiveness in particular, rather than female beauty, that made the most difference.

If the interviewer expected to work with the candidate as part of a team, then he preferred good-looking men.

However, if the interviewer saw the candidate as a potential competitor, the interviewer discriminated in favour of unattractive men.

The results suggest that interviewers were not blinded by beauty, and instead calculated which candidate would further their own career.

‘The way we explain it here, pretty men just seem more competent, so it is actually subjectively rational to discriminate for or against them.’

On a deeper level, she adds, the behaviour remains irrational, since there’s no evidence that a real link exists between looks and competence.

Well, that’s not fair.

Ladies, next time you get approached a fine brother with no job, give him a break! It’s probably not his fault…

Mailonline.com

Not convinced. If the manager is female, that shit helps. I know it has helped me in the past.

^THAT....ya'll betta recognize....hell in the nursing program my clinical instructor was a Black female we was texting back and forth on New years eve.....I said, lord this is sum shit I got into here.....too bad the white bitches hated me :umm:

I know a dude I used to work with, good looking dude, he just decided to grow all his facial hair out and looked like someone who had been in a cave....he got a job like boom....and I was like how did he? He aint even cleaned up for the interview, my boss said the interview was with a woman.....that ended the convo, cause even looking like he was in a cave his ass was still sexy :yep:

Not convinced. If the manager is female, that shit helps. I know it has helped me in the past.

Exactly. Same for a guy hiring a female. If he is attracted to her then her resume wont matter as much as the next ugly betty. 

Exactly. Same for a guy hiring a female. If he is attracted to her then her resume wont matter as much as the next ugly betty. 

Well im not sure about that. I think you still have to possess some of the skills required for the job, but if there are 3 candidates with similar skills, good looks play a part, whether on a subconscious level or not. Of course if its something like bar work, even more so, looks play a big part.

• Upvote 1

Well im not sure about that. I think you still have to possess some of the skills required for the job, but if there are 3 candidates with similar skills, good looks play a part, whether on a subconscious level or not. Of course if its something like bar work, even more so, looks play a big part.

Well yeah, that's what i meant :lol: But i've seen ppl getting jobs or/and been given the benefit of the doubt just cuz they were attractive.