COMPLEX: "Tinashe Is As Close to Janet Jackson As We'll Ever Get"

SonofBaldwin

wyi56yzjkzkyrrorhvcy.jpg

There will never, ever be another Janet Jackson.

Mega stardom of her kind is increasingly hard to reach, especially if you are a black woman. There is Beyoncé, but even she can no longer claim to have the sort of radio dominance Janet once commanded—though that’s more so a testament to the diminished influence of “urban” music than Yoncé’s catalog. She’s also more an amalgamation of several pop stars of yore—Diana Ross, Tina Turner, Michael and Janet Jackson, respectively—than a singular artist. There is also Rihanna, but she’s long noted that she desires to be more of a “Black Madonna.”

Both dance (one way more energetically than the other), but neither offer the sort of choreography that made Janet Jackson the iconic pop star she is today.

I’m sure some people would now like to interject Ciara, who I’ve jokingly said in the past could’ve been some country-fried-steak version of Damita Jo. I wish Ciara the best in all her future endeavors, but she lacks vision, cohesion, and for all intents and purposes, blew whatever chance she had at becoming a behemoth in music. At this stage of her career, she’s more like a Kardashian who can dance.

Nonetheless, there is hope of an artist who can at least encompass some of Janet’s best qualities for a new generation.

If there’s anyone who might be able to muster what Janet Jackson meant to me growing up, it is the 22-year-old singer Tinashe.

More: http://www.complex.com/music/2015/04/tinashe-is-as-close-to-janet-jackson-as-well-ever-get

Thoughts?

She can dance and she can sing... So... I guess. She needs to stop the "urban" shit if she wants to get bigger. She has the talent. Utilize it better

That's my thing with her. What she's doing right now won't make her very popular. I just find it hard to get into her...

I love her tbh. Her mixtapes are better than the album and I think she has potential in terms of making better music. I love how involved she is. Fear Not is everything to me lyrically. 

• Upvote 1