Uptown Funk gains 5 co-writers

bu.

Mark Ronson’s “Uptown Funk!” -- the Bruno Mars featuring hit that recently topped the Billboard Hot 100 for 14 weeks -- originally had six songwriters. On April 28, it officially picked up another five.

According to documents from RCA Records, which released the song, the original writers -- Ronson, Mars, co-producer Jeffrey Bhasker and Phillip Lawrence (one of Mars’ partners in his production team The Smeezingtons), along with Nicholas Williams (aka Trinidad James) and producer Devon Gallaspy, whose “All Gold Everything” has “portions embodied” in the song -- have been joined by the five writers of The Gap Band’s 1979 hit “Oops Upside Your Head”: bandmembers (and brothers) Charlie, Robert and Ronnie Wilson along with keyboardist Rudolph Taylor and producer Lonnie Simmons. They were added in the wake of a claim put forth by publisher Minder Music on behalf of the “Oops” songwriters.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6553522/uptown-funk-gains-five-co-writers

============================

Marvin Gaye's thirsty daughter, ha impact.

• Upvote 1

This is so damn stupid, this kinda thing should only happen during direct sampling, greedy bitches fucked up the system

that last part yep....BUT there is a line between inspiration and theft, who gets to call that? I want to see the musician that fights back and wins, shuts the shit down, like this is my work and creation, and whatever similarities you think you hear are purely coincidental at best, you and yo mama with her cousins aint getting shit. :filenails:

I hate this song. It is the new Happy. They could have at least shouted out the Time or something in the song.  Kids think this sound is new now. 

the Time..... -_- and that's really where the funk came from ....cause thats what I hear when I hear the song

the Time..... -_- and that's really where the funk came from ....cause thats what I hear when I hear the song

exactly. If anybody should get a check it should be Morris Day. Mark Ronson/ Bruno not only swagger jacked his style of song but also his bravado. That 'kiss myself Im so pretty' line has Morris Day written all over it.

• Upvote 1

that last part yep....BUT there is a line between inspiration and theft, who gets to call that? I want to see the musician that fights back and wins, shuts the shit down, like this is my work and creation, and whatever similarities you think you hear are purely coincidental at best, you and yo mama with her cousins aint getting shit. :filenails:

Theft gets to call it, inspiration like this song and MANY others is what the industry has been all about for years, it's basically a dedication unless you're claiming to invent the sound, then it crosses into theft. Suing over influence is petty bullshit, suing over theft is reasonable. I feel like the only way this should work is the classic way it always has, a new artist samples a older artists beat or instrumentals, and don't give credit, BAM sue them, that's wrong. BUT a new artist who produces and arranges a song that sounds like other (in this case multiple) artists sounds, that should be off limits.

I hate this song. It is the new Happy. They could have at least shouted out the Time or something in the song.  Kids think this sound is new now. 

But that's not their problem or responsibility, they brought up Morris & The Time as well as The Gap Band in nearly every interview I saw & heard, they did their part they aren't saying they creating it or even supporting the idea of that, it's the kids faults for not doing the research if they're ignorant enough to think they created this sound.

exactly. If anybody should get a check it should be Morris Day. Mark Ronson/ Bruno not only swagger jacked his style of song but also his bravado. That 'kiss myself Im so pretty' line has Morris Day written all over it.

Except that's a James Brown thing who's influence is and always has been all over Morris..... :coffee: