Madonna on Ageism and Sexism

Bailey

let's play a game?.....called how many lies can you spot.... :shifty:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kyle-mcmahon/madonna-ageism-and-sexism_b_7510552.html

Too many people forget that Madonna, the most successful solo artist in history, has paved the way for so many artists, both male and female. With her outspoken opinions, her sometimes shocking but always thought provoking performances and her pure determination, she's broken down barriers on women, pop stars, homosexuals, race, religion, business and everything in between. There would be no Britney Spears, no Beyoncé, no Rihanna, had Madonna not paved the way with her conical bra or her pink leotard.

Madonna is once again breaking down barriers. This time, it's that taboo topic of age. So many people, particularly in the media, apparently feel that women of a certain age should go quietly into the night and rest on their laurels. Actresses have been complaining for years that once they hit 50 there are no substantial roles. Meanwhile, Liam Neeson continues to be in every action movie involving a daughter. Madonna won't rest on her laurels though, as that has never been her M.O. This is a woman who sold out multiple nights at Yankee Stadium on her last tour (which beat her own record for top selling solo tour of all time.) when there had never been a woman headlining there before at all. This is the same artist who performed at the Super Bowl and got more viewers than the game itself. This is the same woman whose recent Grammy performance was the most watched (and tweeted about) performance of the night. All of those accomplishments happened after her 50th birthday.

Madonna's age is not her problem. It's your own problem. It's the mindset some have that women of a certain age should act a certain way, look a certain way and talk a certain way. In fact, if you have a problem with Madonna and what she does, it's only your problem that you've created in your mind. There's no rule book that says that on a certain magical date you must suddenly stop wearing clothes that you like and must suddenly wear clothes that you don't like because society says so. The truth is, society doesn't get to say so. This isn't a woman who's chasing trends, this is a woman who starts them. If you think she's going to listen to the countless talking heads droning on about how a woman should live her life, then you've clearly been living under a rock the last 30+ years. Those some people will praise U2 or Rolling Stones, while chastising Madonna. And Madonna's the only one of them still cranking out hits. This is an artist who's latest single, Ghosttown, became her 45th #1 hit. After all, "Bitch she's Madonna."

As so often happens with Madonna, controversy has overshadowed the music... and that's quite a shame. Rebel Heart, her latest album, is one of the best albums of her career. Reflective and introspective it sounds like nothing else on the radio or in the clubs. She has written a tour de force of an album while being shocking for what it really is: her most honest, personal album yet. Diplo, a Philadelphia native, (call me, bro!) marries his avant garde club sound with Madonna's mainstream pop sensibilities and the result is perfection. Check out the Pop Culture Whore piece for a track by track review of Rebel Heart or just do yourself a favor and buy Rebel Heart.

If you haven't noticed throughout her white hot career spanning more then 30 years, Madonna doesn't give a shit what you think. She's going to be her, unapologetically. And when you can go out to the club with your friends at 56 years old and look absolutely amazing in what you're wearing as you dance the night away, you can thank Madonna. As it is, that club probably be playing her latest hit.

let's play a game?.....called how many lies can you spot.... :shifty:

There would be no Britney Spears, no Beyoncé, no Rihanna, had Madonna not paved the way with her conical bra or her pink leotard.

Madonna is once again breaking down barriers. 

I was going to say something until i re read it and saw that.. 

I stopped after the first sentence. The most successful solo artist in history :mellow:  I guess Thriller never happened.  She is the most overhyped artist in history. Now she is running around wearing as Big as Madonna T Shirt after getting embarrassed by Drake

I stopped after the first sentence. The most successful solo artist in history :mellow:  I guess Thriller never happened.  She is the most overhyped artist in history. Now she is running around wearing as Big as Madonna T Shirt after getting embarrassed by Drake

funny I stopped there too :filenails:

• Upvote 1

somebody came for me in the comments section when I said Michael is the most successful so they tried to clock Michael and then called me a fool. So that's when I had to comment on his weight issues :)

Madonna has been successful, she does have talent, and she's been super smart. The one thing I will come to her defense about, is this bullshit, puritanical cap that the US has against women, and women of a certain age being sexual.

I will never understand the double standard. I say about Madonna what I've always said about Janet. If they want to include sexual acts in their art. Then So be it.

Madonna however, has been acting trashy and desperate. That crap she did when she kissed Drake was disgusting, unnecessary, and went to another level. Leave the trash to that stupid asshole Miley Cyrus. Madonna should be better than that. I heard her album, and I really enjoyed it. She doesn't need all those shenanigans. She's established herself in the music industry. It's possible to be sexy in your 50s and not act like a desperate, drugged up prostitute.

• Upvote 1

Rebel Heart, her latest album, is one of the best albums of her career. Reflective and introspective it sounds like nothing else on the radio or in the clubs. She has written a tour de force of an album while being shocking for what it really is: her most honest, personal album yet..

I spotted the lies.

tumblr_nga1dkJ25u1qe0fxmo2_r1_500_zpskar

• Upvote 2

Madonna has been successful, she does have talent, and she's been super smart. The one thing I will come to her defense about, is this bullshit, puritanical cap that the US has against women, and women of a certain age being sexual.

I will never understand the double standard. I say about Madonna what I've always said about Janet. If they want to include sexual acts in their art. Then So be it.

Madonna however, has been acting trashy and desperate. That crap she did when she kissed Drake was disgusting, unnecessary, and went to another level. Leave the trash to that stupid asshole Miley Cyrus. Madonna should be better than that. I heard her album, and I really enjoyed it. She doesn't need all those shenanigans. She's established herself in the music industry. It's possible to be sexy in your 50s and not act like a desperate, drugged up prostitute.

But that's always been Madonna. The difference is that today nobody gives a flying fuck and she ends up looking desperate and ridiculous. But at the core, Madonna has always been that way.  Lots of stuff she embraced were for attention and shock value. 

I love her art (mostly the 90s and some 00s) but i really can't stand her as a person. 

But that's always been Madonna. The difference is that today nobody gives a flying fuck and she ends up looking desperate and ridiculous. But at the core, Madonna has always been that way. Lots of stuff she embraced were for attention and shock value.

I love her art (mostly the 90s and some 00s) but i really can't stand her as a person.

She's extremely narcissistic, doesn't give a flying fuck about her fans, and is rude as hell.

• Upvote 1