• Announcements

• Planet Janet Rules   07/07/2015

General Rules for Planet Janet Welcome to Planet Janet! The main objective of this board is to express your love for Janet, your opinions, and to interact with an important segment of the Janet fandom.  To enjoy your experience here, below are general rules and guidelines to make your experience here be successful: The N Word Please be aware that the N word is going to be filtered on this forum. Most importantly, this word is not acceptable on this forum in any form; therefore, if it is used again by ANY member on here, it will result in an immediate and permanent ban. Consider this the first, only, and last warning regarding this. Music Download | Copyright Infringement Illegal download links to music from any artist are not permissible to be posted on this forum at any time. If you have posted an illegal download link, you must take it down immediately. Failure to remove the links, and/or subsequent, repeated offenses will result in disciplinary action up to and including a permanent ban from the forum. Fan Threads of Other Artists Generally, we like to keep threads and/or topics about other artists within an Official Artist Thread.  This helps to eliminate clutter and redundancy throughout the forum and allow a one-stop shop to view comments on that particular artist not pertaining to Janet.  If there is HUGE news related to an artist and generates a lot of discussion, it is okay to have a standalone thread on that topic outside of the Official Thread. A good debate is OKAY in the Official Threads of other artists.  Official Threads are not complete sanctuaries of devotion of that particular artist; however, there is a need to be civil with other members.  Please refrain from personal attacks and arguments that devolve into personal attacks. Additionally, do NOT use Janet as means to defend an artist.  This forum is made in her honor, and putting her down to boast your particular artist is prohibited. Exercise good judgment and common sense.  If not, then the moderating team will exercise disciplinary action depending on the egregiousness of the action.  Please utilize this announcement as a first warning. Personal Attacks

Each member has a warning percentage - most of them are at zero right now but a few have been warned before. Each warning is worth 10%, and once it gets to 100% the member is automatically banned from the forum. 

Each time a member gets into an argument with another member that includes personal attacks, if it is reported or viewed by a member of the moderating team, each participant in the personal attack will get an increase in their warning percentage.  They will be notified via PM, and, prior to posting again, will receive a receipt acknowledging that warning before they can post again. The Moderating Team will never divulge a member's warn percentages on the forum or to other members.

What this means is you are now responsible for your own future on this forum. The Moderating Team will not keep asking you to stop and being ignored. Learn to let things go and learn to moderate yourself before posting; if you end up banned it will be your own fault. Personal attacks and include attacks on one’s race, age, religious creed, color, gender, national origin, physical, mental or visual disability, medical condition, ancestry, marital and military status, pregnancy or sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression and general physical appearance/looks. Depending on the nature of the personal attack there will be corrective action up and including permanent banning. If you have any inquiries about your warning percentage, feel free to PM a mod for an answer. If you need any clarification on the rules, feel free to reach out to The Moderating Team.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Let's honor Janet Jackson's most innovative song...

14 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Taking a page out of the good auntie's book, the information you are about to receive is 100% fact.

iboR9QgoGs1Gw3.gif

Empty is Janet's most innovative song.

among one of her most slept on.

Before we even touch the production, let's get right into these lyrics:

Is this a new way to love?
Never face to face, is it enough?
Does it really count or am I a fool?
So tell me, please, am I wasting my time?

e5043856.gif

Your phrases, descriptive
And through the textured words
With beauty, you post it
And use such colored verbs
We've never met, ooh

2wh3szq.jpg

(When I close my eyes)
I can see your face
(When I lick my lips)
I can taste your smile
(When I see your name)
My heart starts to race
(If I can't read your thoughts)
Then I feel empty

ibe25s3QnqTFdT.gif

This gospel. Surely it must have been written in the 2010s?

Oh THE 90S????

WHAT CREATIVE GENIUS COULD POSSIBLY CREATE SUCH INVENTIVE POETRY????

Untitled-127.gif

Janet speaks on the modern day dilemma. Using the internet to seek companionship. Birthing the business model/concept of sites such as eHarmony and match.com, as well as the sole reason you are able to log on your Jack'D accounts to look for trade.

Thank you Janet Jackson. 

woeisme.png

Now lets get into this SOUND. Jimmy Jam & Sis really put in work for this one, as they saw the genius of these lyrics and could not give this any ole production.

From the xylophones, the windows 98 error sounds, and the robotic countdown, we get the experience of LOGGING IN to janet's deepest emotions, feeling the exhilaration of exploring this new concept of "eLove."

beydragging.gif

TAKE US ON THIS JOURNEY WITH YOU QUEEN

Eventually, though, the emptiness is apparent at the end of the track.

damn, disconnected. 

disbelief.PNG

FUCK.

which leads us to her final thoughts.

How empty of me... to be so full of you. 

tumblr_mvnqh576OW1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

damn Janet Jackson. why?

discuss below.

Posted · Report post

Her harmonies on this track..

beydragging.gif

Posted · Report post

Tinder ha soundtrack!

I love that it's getting love from publications! Such a great song.

Posted · Report post

I listen to that song constantly.

Posted · Report post

When I clicked into this thread, I said to myself, "If it's not about 'Empty,' I'm not even going to read it."

But then I seed you, LawdToday, and I knowed there is a God! LOL!

No, but seriously, this song is so incredible and so prescient. How it remained an album track and was never relased as a single; how she has never performed this song live is beyond me.

It seems like that song was imported from the 23rd century.

The melody, the harmonies, Janet's lead vocal performance, the lyrics, the production--everything about that song is simply perfection.

Even The Guardian knows it:

In a Pitchfork article on TLC’s 1999 album FanMail, Lindsay Zoladz investigates that album’s foreshadowing of today’s sense of dislocation brought on by technology, at one point referring to it as “a transmission from the future”. On The Velvet Rope, Janet pre-empted them on the futuristic, glitchy ballad Empty, a song that anticipated Tinder by about 15 years. Fascinated by the implications of people connecting to others through a computer (“I wonder what kind of reality that creates, and what kind of romantic frustrations it produces,” she mused at the time), it perfectly sums up both the illicit thrill of communicating and sharing intimate details with a stranger and the oddly unsatisfying dislocation that can create (“if I can’t read your thoughts, then I feel empty”). While FanMail’s overriding conceptual approach now seems dated, the way Empty is constructed still feels forward-thinking, even with the slightly hackneyed, looped modem sound that forms part of the song’s intro. In fact, part of Empty’s majesty comes from the sonic layering; that initial modem sound quickly joined by a cluster of glacial bell sounds, a two-stepesque scattershot beat that seems to mirror the tap-tap of a keyboard, and processed choir that harmonises with the very human lilt of Jackson’s sweet vocal. Out of all the enduring Janet Jackson songs, Empty feels like the one most referenced in 2015, specifically in the fusion of electronic music and R&B showcased by artists such as FKA twigs and Kelela.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2015/jun/03/janet-jackson-10-of-the-best

66b188d9-e391-4058-8e5a-ec96c094e957-206

Posted · Report post

When I clicked into this thread, I said to myself, "If it's not about 'Empty,' I'm not even going to read it.

I said the same thing. 'Empty' is so sonically delicious and Janet's voice on the track is very mesmerizing.

Ya'll better stan for Miss Empty.

Posted · Report post

Posted · Report post

Ya'll better stan for Miss Empty.

clapping.gif

Posted · Report post

Empty deserves ha praise

fZ6ScYd.gif

Posted · Report post

Empty is not slept on. Its one of her most talked about non singles.

Posted · Report post

Just sung beautifully... Written beautifully... The vulnerability.. Love this song

Posted · Report post

Lies do not exist in this thread

Posted · Report post

Lies do not exist in this thread

Not the slightest one.

Posted · Report post

1,2, 3,4! Fiyah! Fiyah!  Her most brilliant song ever!  I swear I don't understand why she has never performed it live and why anyone hasn't had the capability to convince her to do it so.  I swear the performance could almost be reminiscent of a Rhythm Nation type production as far as how many dancers she puts in the video.  "We never met!!!!!!!!!" 

The vocal arrangement is out of this world, pure heaven.....her background vocals are so brilliant  "When I close my eyes....." I just melt.

I could hear Bjork covering this song.