Kanye West to get the MTV Video Vanguard Award this year

bu.

I agree he has this coming, he really has pushed the lines of creativity for videos, but not this soon, clearly pandering and again and thirsty for the views.

so basically Gaga will more than likely get it next year when she releases that album. Chile I cant. #noshadebutshade

• Upvote 1

I agree he has this coming, he really has pushed the lines of creativity for videos, but not this soon, clearly pandering and again and thirsty for the views.

We have to remember that Janet snatched that award during the release of "Black Cat" for Rhythm Nation.  "Love Will Never Do Without You" the last single wasn't even released yet as a video I think.  As far as MTV her catalogue was only Control and Rhythm Nation. 2 albums and bam.....Janet was snatching wigs at the young age of 24!!!!!  Mama wasn't playing during that era and MTV couldn't agree more by giving it to her only after 2 albums that they celebrated by playing her videos 24/7 back then. 

so basically Gaga will more than likely get it next year when she releases that album. Chile I cant. #noshadebutshade

Isn't the next album suppose to be Disco inspired?  Should be interesting.  She's a formidable talent vocally. Hopefully she will have some great producers on it to help her take the theme of Disco to the next level. Should be interesting. 

For the "too soon" comments. Mtv is notoriously known for throwing em out "soon" . They dont really have a timeline they measure the "accomplishment" by..,so in other words its shouldnt be taking that seriously.

Madonna got it after only being out 3-4 years (1986).

MJ didnt get it til 1988 (odd that Madge got it before him,right?)

LL Cool J ,Beyonce, and Britney all got it around 11-12 years of being out. 

JT got it in lesser time. So did JANET (as we all know)

See how all over the place VMA's are with it? There was never no "accuracy" in the first place. There was some good candidates but also some convenient ones. MTV is leaning more towards  convenient (for ratings) these days. So based off their history of giving those awards out,,,i would say Kanye is beyond deserving of the award when its ppl less innovative who recieved the award in a shorter period of time. 

Edited by janetDAYZ
  • Upvote 1