Morrissey Comes for President Barack Obama

SonofBaldwin

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/aug/27/morrissey-obama-is-doing-nothing-for-black-community

Morrissey: Obama is doing nothing for US black community

Singer tells The Daily Beast that Obama ‘doesn’t look overly African black’, and offers equal ire at Republican presidential candidates

Morrissey has attacked Barack Obama for his lack of support for black communities in the US. The singer, whose own record on racial politics is often viewed with some scepticism, told The Daily Beast in an email interview: “I can’t see him doing anything at all for the black community except warning them that they must respect the security forces.

He said that stance was ludicrous. “It seems evident to me that black males are being deliberately murdered throughout America as a closing message to Obama, telling him that his presidency has meant nothing and that the division of colour is now bigger than ever.”

Morrissey wondered if Obama was “white inside” while speaking to Larry King last week, and expanded on his theme with The Daily Beast, asking if Obama would feel any urge to leniency if one of his daughters were shot dead by a police officer. “I don’t imagine he’d be willing to accept the exoneration of that white cop,” he said.

500.jpg?w=460&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&

He said the police – “the Ku Klux Klan to most black Americans” – deliberately targeted the poor and marginalised “because the poor have no influential friends and therefore can’t retaliate, and the cops know that they can play about with poor people”.

In his final observation on Obama, Morrissey said: “He doesn’t look overly African black. He’s as close to soft, whiteness as someone who isn’t white could get, and I often wonder if he would have been elected if he had a stronger, more African black face? It’s a point.”

He also spoke about the 2016 presidential race, saying he found the Republican candidates “dangerously reactionary and occasionally insane”, whereas he backed Hillary Clinton. “I don’t think Clinton has even begun to dig into the race yet, and when she does she will gain massive support,” he said.

Edited by SonofBaldwin