RIAA sets NEW RULES. Streaming is counted towards certification now

janetDAYZ

Kendrick Lamar & Big Sean's Albums Certified Platinum Under New RIAA Rules

NEWS

1 hour ago

Kendrick Lamar & Big Sean's Albums Certified Platinum Under New RIAA Rules

The RIAA now includes streams for its album certification process.

by Victoria Hernandez

The RIAA announced new certification rules today (February 1) via a press release.

The association now includes official audio and video streams as part of the tally to determine how many sales an album has, effective today. This creates a new benchmark for albums to be certified gold and platinum. Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp a Butterfly and Big Sean's Dark Sky Paradise are now certified platinum.

"For nearly six decades, whether it’s vinyl, CDs, downloads or now streams, the Gold & Platinum Program has adapted to recognize the benchmarks of success in an evolving music marketplace,” Cary Sherman, Chairman and CEO of RIAA says in a press release. “We know that music listening – for both for albums and songs – is skyrocketing, yet that trend has not been reflected in our album certifications. Modernizing our Album Award to include music streaming is the next logical step in the continued evolution of Gold & Platinum Awards, and doing so enables RIAA to fully reward the success of artists’ albums today."

Joining Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp a Butterfly and Big Sean's Dark Sky Paradisein receiving a certification is Wale's Ambition, which is now is gold. The Weeknd's Beauty Behind the Madnessis now Multi-Platinum (2x) and Michael Jackson's Thriller is recognized Multi-Platinum (32x).

http://hiphopdx.com/news/id.37300/title.kendrick-lamar-big-seans-albums-certified-platinum-under-new-riaa-rules

Like what most of you said I thought this was the streaming announcement they made like 2-4yrs ago

Yeah it was but I guess even tho Soundscan and Billboard were counting them as sales the RIAA still wasn't counting streaming towards certification until now. Meanwhile news just broke that Rihanna is nowhere near 400,000 in sales and is more likely to debut with only 97,000. I kinda don't believe that.

Yea I don't see that either, I REALLY don't see this doing lower than 100k, and that's being harsh, I really don't know what the hell to expect the numbers game is crazy with this shit. Tis why I can't stand this kind of stuntlery 

It's ridiculous. I see her and Jay-Z parting ways soon. Bey is gonna stick with him cause without him she would've pretty much not happened.

• Upvote 1