BBC: Janet had the best Halftime show

bu.

1. Janet Jackson, 2004

p03hbfmy.jpg

The most famous of all Super Bowl halftime shows and not for Janet Jackson's musical performance, although that was excellent. She was seven songs deep into her set, which featured guest appearances from P. DiddyNelly and Kid Rock, before Justin Timberlakeeven came on and that notorious incident happened during Rock Your Body. A phrase quickly became part of popular culture: "wardrobe malfunction".

Lesson for Coldplay: court controversy. It's good fun and memorable. Everyone remembers M.I.A. flipping the bird in 2012 too.

2. Michael Jackson, 1993

p03hbg9x.jpg

It's entirely possible that Janet had this thought at the back of her mind as she was preparing for her performance: "How do I outdo my brother?" Michael Jackson in 1993 completely redefined what was possible in the middle of an American football pitch in just 12 minutes between two halves of a game and it's now thought to be year zero for truly great performances. Almost single-handedly, Jackson made the halftime show a global event, even for people who don't understand the rules of American football.

Lesson for Coldplay: unlike Glastonbury, this is barely about music; it's about pure, unadulterated entertainment.

3. Bruce Springsteen

4. Prince

5. Katy Perry

6. U2

Poor Beyonce and Madonna :(