Singles Rate: 2001 (Winner Announced!)

TwistedElegance™

xVALo6k.jpg

What we're gonna do here is go back, way back, back into time.

2001 was the year terrorists attacked the United States on September 11, George Harrison died of lung cancer in Los Angeles, and Apple introduced the iPod.

For the first time since Bryan Adams ruled the 1991 recap, a Canadian act had the No. 1 song of the year. Nickelback pulled off the feat with its very first chart entry, How You Remind Me.

Atlanta-born, New York-raised Mary J. Blige had peaked at No. 2 and No. 3 on the Hot 100, but never had a No. 1 single until 2001, when Family Affair ruled for six weeks, helping it become the No. 2 song of the year. Blige made her debut on the Hot 100 in 1994 with You Remind Me. Family Affair was her fourth song to appear on a year-end recap. In 1995, her collaboration with Method Man on I'll Be There For You/You're All I Need To Get By was No. 47 for the year. A year later, her song from the Waiting To Exhale soundtrack, Not Gon' Cry, ranked No. 19 for 1996. And in 1997, Everything was No. 80 for the year.

Usher Raymond was the only male artist to have a No. 1 as a solo act in 2001, and he did it twice, with U Remind Me and U Got It Bad. Both ended up in the Top 15 for the year, with the latter at No. 3 and the former at No. 11. In 1997 he was No. 7 for the year with You Make Me Wanna... and the following year he was No. 8 with Nice & Slow.

Actress Jennifer Lopez had her most successful song up until that time with a remix of I'm Real. The original recording, which appeared on her J.Lo album, was a solo effort; the new version sounded so different that some people wondered if it was the same song. Ja Rule, who was also No. 36 for the year with Livin' It Up, was featured on the remix. I'm Real was one of three songs by Lopez on the 2001 recap. Love Don't Cost a Thing was No. 29 and Play was No. 76. It was the second time that Lopez had a year-end Top 10 hit; in 1999, her debut single If You Had My Love placed seventh.

Clive Davis' new J Records was immediately successful upon launch - no surprise given his track record. His biggest success was with R&B newcomer Alicia Keys, who had been signed to Atlanta in 1998. Davis nurtured her talent and she was one of a handful of artists he took with him when he started J. She had been trained as a classical pianist, and recorded her first album when she was just 19. Keys' first single, Fallin', spent six weeks at No. 1 on the Hot 100 and ranked No. 5 for the year.

Of the 14 songs that advanced to No. 1 in 2001, the longest-running chart-topper was Janet Jackson's All For You, which reigned for seven weeks and ended up in sixth place for the year. During the recording sessions for what would become the All For You album, Janet knew she wanted that to be the first single. Producer Jimmy Jam remembers Janet walking into the control room at the studio when they still had five or six more songs to record to complete the album. "She said, 'I don't want to sound crazy, but I think this is the first single. I know we're going to get some more songs and they're going to be really good. I just feel that I want this to be the first thing that people hear from me. When I do my first record after three years, I want this to be the tone.'"

Both of Janet's 2001 hits - All For You and the No. 31 song, Someone To Call My Lover, were based on samples of previous songs. But Jackson wasn't familiar with either one, according to Jimmy Jam. All For You is based on Luther Vandross' The Glow of Love, released in 1980 when Vandross was the lead singer of the group Change. Jimmy Jam recalls, "She didn't know that song and I was really shocked. I was DJ'ing at the time that record was out, so that was a huge record in my life and one that I have always wanted to sample one day and bring it back for people to hear." Jam, who grew up listening to pop radio, had the same experience when he played America's Ventura Highway for Jackson. "She said, 'Ive never heard that.' And I said, 'I'm going to work this one up and I'll send it to you and you tell me what you think.' She loved it and we did it. For me, it's a thrill to hear that on the radio because I imagine people getting the same feeling as if they were hearing it for the first time as I did when I was a kid listening to AM radio."

The members of Lifehouse first got together in Los Angeles, even though they were from different parts of the globe - Arizona, Guatemala, and Camarillo, California. Lead singer Jason Wade had lived in a number of different places, including Hong Kong, Seattle, and Portland, Oregon. The band's debut album, No Name Face, received critical raves, and a few weeks after its release, the song Hanging By a Moment was sitting on top of the Modern Rock Tracks chart. It crossed over to pop radio, and peaked at No. 2 on the Hot 100. A long chart run helped it to become the No. 7 song of 2001.

Orville Richard Burrell was born in Jamaica, and moved to Flatbush, Brooklyn, in New York when he was 18. In 1991, he was a US Marine serving in Kuwait during the Gulf War. Ten years later, he had the best-selling album of 2001 with Hotshot, thanks to two No. 1 singles. It Wasn't Me, which featured Ricardo "Rikrok" Ducent, was No. 8 for the year, while Angel, which featured Rayvon, was No. 13. Angel was based on Angel of the Morning, the No. 53 song of 1968 by Merrilee Rush & the Turnabouts, and the No. 34 song of 1981 by Juice Newton. Angel also sampled the Steve Miller Band's The Joker, the No. 10 hit of 1974. It Wasn't Me and Angel were Shaggy's highest year-end placings, after ranking No. 23 for 1995 with the two-sided hit, Boombastic/In the Summertime.

Christina Aguilera had reached the top of the Hot 100 three times by the time she teamed up with Lil' Kim, Mýa and P!nk on a remake of Lady Marmalade for the soundtrack to Moulin Rouge. Her three partners all made No. 1 for the first time when the song found itself in pole position for five weeks, beating the one-week reign of the Labelle version. That single was the No. 20 title of 1975, giving the new version another edge, as it finished ninth for 2001.

The events of September 11 resulted in a wave of patriotism that swept the US for the rest of the year. A flood of nationalistic songs appeared on the charts, but only one ended up on the year-end list. Aaron Tippin's Where the Stars and Stripes and the Eagle Fly ranked No. 77. Other songs not specifically recorded in the wake of the terrorist attacks, like Enya's Only Time and Enrique Iglesias' Hero, became emotional anthems and received increased airplay after 9/11.

Click the link below to see all the songs which made it to the Top 5 of Billboard's Hot 100 for 2001. Submit your vote by scoring each song out of 10 (10 being the greatest). The average will then determine our Singles Rate for the year. Votes must be submitted in the next 72 hours.

VOTE HERE!

Tune in soon to see how it all unfolds. Good luck to your faves!

• Upvote 6

wow......what a nostaglic throwback....most of those songs I enjoyed so much ratings were high....I leaned more towards the R&B side, and I notice a lot of diversity with more
"rock" acts in there but I liked some of them too. "Drops of Jupiter" LOVE IT ....but "Differences" was muh shit too... and "Again" from Lenny :wub:  thank you so much Matt for all your hard work and effort to keep the forum entertained while engaging :good:

Edited by Stealth
  • Upvote 2

Awesome write up, Matt! Crazy enough, I seem to remember every song on the list - but I'll have to preview a few of them before I hit submit.

*edit* Just submitted my ratings after some careful deliberation with the voices in my head. :P 

Edited by RedSimba
  • Upvote 1

The results have been tallied! I'm going to reveal around 5 per day. There are a few ties which you may find surprising. Please note this will all be image-based until we profile the final 10. I know some members have been experiencing issues with pictures lately. Please let me know if they don't show up for you.

Missing out on the Top 30 are...

KMB6CiI.jpg

siy9S42.jpg

BusbWEn.jpg

6ZPaxgd.jpg

FZaMnFq.jpg

RuI4xli.png

dnZ4XVr.jpg

• Upvote 3

I'm GUTTED by "All Or Nothing"'s result :( I am the one (or one of the ones if there were multiples, which I'm sure there probably weren't lol) that gave it a 9. Dan Miller, imo, has THE absolute BEST vocals of ANY boyband member of the late 90's/early 00's boyband (just ahead of *NSYNC's JC Chasez and Backstreet Boys' AJ McClean)...he killed it on "Liquid Dreams" as well. I STILL bump "All Or Nothing" on a semi-regular basis...it's something like an anthem for me. Sometimes, when I get a little too tipsy and I'm at a karaoke bar...I get everyone to sing along with me. ^_^

"IIIIIIIS IIIIIT ALL, OR NOOOTHING AT ALLLL, THERE'S NOWHERE LEFT TO FALLLL...IT'S NOW OR NEVERRR" :blush: