Singles Rate: 2001 (Winner Announced!)

TwistedElegance™

Nelly has really fallen off the map in recent years. She was so big from 06-07, but with Timbaland's sound being dated (a bit) and her being gone for so long, I think public interest in her has declined seriously. She usually gets big time work when she does "We Day" up here in Canada.

Loose was such a great era. I think it was always going to be hard for her to follow, but that huge break did her no favours.

• Upvote 3

Loose was such a great era. I think it was always going to be hard for her to follow, but that huge break did her no favours.

yea brand building for her would have meant going big pop star, she didnt make those moves, maybe if she had a better team behind her

• Upvote 2

TLzq4vL.png

Eve claims eighth spot with her Gwen-Stefani-assisted smash, Let Me Blow Ya Mind. Released as the second (and surprisingly, final) single from her sophomore set, Scorpion, the song was an instant hit for the rapper, who had previously had moderate chart success with a handful of solo tracks and guest-spots on hits from The Roots, BLACKstreet and Missy Elliott. Let Me Blow Ya Mind was a reunion of sorts for Eve and the song's producer, Dr. Dre. Originally signed to his Aftermath label, she left without putting out an album. Known for being a perfectionist, the legendary rapper got under Eve's skin in the studio. "I don't like being told what to do", she said. "I don’t care if you’re the best at what you do. Dre just knows how to push your buttons, but I just have to say every time he pushed my buttons, he got the best out of me. So he knew what he was doin'." Part of his plan was to pair her with Gwen Stefani. Although fresh off collaborations with Prince and Moby, the No Doubt frontwoman was still finding her solo legs when the rap icon approached her. "Dr. Dre called and I went down and sang," she recalls. "The band were like, 'Go for it!' It was fascinating to go into Eve's world, so different from anything I've done before. When I left I was like, 'Whoa, I've just worked with Dre!'" All three stars would later re-connect on Stefani's Rich Girl; a second Top 10 achievement for the trio. Let Me Blow Ya Mind earned the inaugural Grammy for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration, a category born out of the unstoppable rise of featured artists and crossover success in hip-hop and R&B music. It has since been won by monster tracks such as Dilemma, Crazy In Love and Empire State of Mind. Its video, directed by Phillip G. Atwell (Eminem, Ice Cube & Marilyn Manson), won Best Female Video at the 2001 VMAs, over fellow Singles Rate finalists All For You and Love Don't Cost a Thing. Let Me Blow Ya Mind reached No. 1 in Belgium, France, Ireland and Switzerland, while peaking Top 5 in Australia, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands and the UK.

The breakdown ~ Let Me Blow Ya Mind reached No. 2 on the Hot 100 and places 8th with a voter average of 7.63.

• 10 - Jarrylf
  • 9 - Dammn Bu & kennita jo
  • 8 - hotboy06, LyricalLesson, TwistedElegance & __VelvetKnowledge1814
  • 7 - DarkStormSC & RedSimba
  • 6 - Stealth
  • 4 - Game

zOc3ARx.png

After claiming victory for 2000, Janet Jackson lands at No. 6 with the exuberant Someone To Call My Lover. As mentioned in this round's intro, the song was built around the riff from Ventura Highway, a Top 10 hit for America in 1972. Jam + Lewis associate, Prince, is also believed to have drawn inspiration from the song as it contains the phrase "purple rain", a piece of trivia never confirmed, although it has been reported as true by a number of news outlets. Someone To Call My Lover was the second single lifted from Jackson's All For You album, and became her 22nd solo Top 5 on the Hot 100. Having experienced a split from her long-term partner, the song celebrated a central theme of the album, embracing the single life and channelling positive energy into finding a perfect match. It's sun-kissed video was shot by Hunger Games director Francis Lawrence who would work with Jackson further on Son of a Gun (I Betcha Think This Song Is About You) and All Nite (Don't Stop). The song earned Jackson a Grammy nomination for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance, however it went to Nelly Furtado for I'm Like a Bird. Around the world the track performed modestly, reaching Top 10 in Canada while managing a Top 20 peak in Australia, New Zealand, Scotland and the UK.

The breakdown ~ Someone To Call My Lover reached No. 3 on the Hot 100 and places 6th with a voter average of 8.

• 10 - Game, hotboy06 & Stealth
  • 9 - DarkStormSC, Jarrylf & __VelvetKnowledge1814
  • 8 - TwistedElegance
  • 7 - kennita jo, LyricalLesson & RedSimba
  • 2 - Dammn Bu