What Janet album took the longest to grow on you?

Still not a giant fan of the janet. album.. So much filler on there imo.. And a lot of the tracks sound so dated, moreso than most stuff from Control/RN.. Usually only listen to TTWLG and If, occasionally This Time and ATAP.. WAYN is good too.. Everything else can be kept..

:lmao: The thought that a sex song like Anything is better than these well-constructed, thought out love songs is just silly.

Anything is simplistic and Janet rocked the vocals but it's repetitive and def a filler whereas WWO & CL are lyrically Janet's best non-single song and vocally... Janet has never sounded better :ph34r: 

Anything is not filler. WWO/CL and the Anything are different types of songs but id say equally as good as each.

Love Scene and WYM i could do without, especially back to back with two superior songs. They werent required and really drag the album down imo. I always found the pacing of the album bizarre, it doesnt really flow.

Edited by vibeology

Anything is not filler. WWO/CL and the Anything are different types of songs but id say equally as good as each.

Love Scene and WYM i could do without, especially back to back with two superior songs. They werent required and really drag the album down imo. I always found the pacing of the album bizarre, it doesnt really flow.

Yeah they're all different. But Anything is a typical sex song that's on every album from 1989 - 2008.. And it's not even in the Top Five best sex songs. 

When We Slay was performed on Tour and she murdered the stage.. China Love has so much depth

Love Scene isn't in the Top 5 of anything... WYM is fucking amazing 

Still not a giant fan of the janet. album.. So much filler on there imo.. And a lot of the tracks sound so dated, moreso than most stuff from Control/RN.. Usually only listen to TTWLG and If, occasionally This Time and ATAP.. WAYN is good too.. Everything else can be kept..

one of the criticisms that she got for that album was it came off this huge record deal and she had to deliver fast, problem is the result was somewhat mediocre, a lot of the tracks on Janet. can easily be forgotten, others are classics

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The only filler on janet. album is The Body That Loves You. I think it is a solid album that flows perfectly.  It remaina her best-selling album ever, for a good reason. The Velvet Rope got a lukewarm response at first, but the tour saved the album as it was so heavily themed around the album. Not to say I dont love TVR.

I legit feel sorry for yall that don't know the janet. Album slays life, only filler is the interludes

I am on the fence here. I love the janet. album and era overall but several songs could be considered filler:

- Funky Big Band

- New Agenda

- This Time

- Whoops Now

- What'll I Do

NOTE: Some might also add TBTLY but I've grown to love that song. Plus, I applaud the unexpected nod to Brazilian jazz.

With that being said, it's stil my 2nd favorite Janet album.

Edited by youwantthisanytime
  • Upvote 1

This. I can recall my first time listening to All For You from beginning to end and literally wanting to throw my cassette in the garbage. With the exception of the singles, I didn't care for anything on the album. In time, I grew to at least "tolerate" most of the album but I still rarely (if ever) play it. 

Edited by youwantthisanytime

I'm here for every single track, it's the only album where the skip button isn't utilized very much, each track just has something unique about it.

Where's with Control I often times skip When I think Of You, He Doesn't Know I'm Alive, & Let's wait a while (all too bubbly and light for me when I'm in a Control mood honestly

RN I never play the Alright album version, I prefere the single edits MUCH more, despite I do love the album versions extra adlibs (same with album version RN & MYM)

TVR & the rest I don't skip a ton, but the skip buttons in use lol

I am on the fence here. I love the janet. album and era overall but several songs could be considered filler:

- Funky Big Band

- New Agenda

- This Time

- Whoops Now

- What'll I Do

NOTE: Some might also add TBTLY but I've grown to love that song. Plus, I applaud the unexpected nod to Brazilian jazz.

yep that's about right

- Funky Big Band

- New Agenda

- This Time

- Whoops Now

- What'll I Do

Lies LIES and more LIES!

• Upvote 2

Yeah they're all different. But Anything is a typical sex song that's on every album from 1989 - 2008.. And it's not even in the Top Five best sex songs. 

When We Slay was performed on Tour and she murdered the stage.. China Love has so much depth

Love Scene isn't in the Top 5 of anything... WYM is fucking amazing 

Erm Anything is not like every sex from 89-08 :rolleyes: Its sensual and sexy, unlike WYM which is just cringy and smutty. I actually tolerate Love Scene, it just wasnt required.

WWO is one of my fav songs ever, but she did not murder the stage when she performed it :rolleyes:

Erm Anything is not like every sex from 89-08

Its sensual and sexy

WWO is one of my fav songs ever, but she did not murder the stage when she performed it :rolleyes:

Name Janet's 5 best Sensual & Sexy songs. Anything ain't on that list and if it is.. You lying :lol: 

WYM >> ATAP :ph34r: Lmao jk but seriously... That beat goes HARD!!!!

i heard they had to replace the stage after that night bc if Janet's slayage.. Yew mad :asham: 

For me All For You, on first listen, was just a pop album with too many slow jams. I was only 11 though, when released, so I couldn't appreciate the layers of emotions penned within the songs. That is weird because I always got TVR despite it being released when I was younger. It was actually last year when I had an epiphany with AFY and it's grown on me so much. 

Edited by Dammn Bu

She touched on a lot of different music genres on that album which I liked.  It was a perfect pop album IMO

• Upvote 2

I legit feel sorry for yall that don't know the janet. Album slays life, only filler is the interludes

Same, each song brings something unique to the table. I think the diversity was a bold move because not everyone is going to like every style. Sure I could see how some interludes like "Wind" and "Rain" could be considered "filler," personally I see them as transitions that set up the mood for the next track. But the songs? Nah, I love the every song down to the very last chord progression. Plus it doesn't hurt that nearly every song went on to find some form of a success.

Anyway that's my hyper-janet-mode rant of the day lol, but honestly it's albums like this that make me passionate about music. :thumbup:  

• Upvote 1

Oh gosh. "4 Words" (literally) and she had a co-writer for that, if I remember correctly. She really phoned that album in.

I kind of liked the choreo for "So Excited" but that was about it. The song is a complete whisper (like most of the 20YO album) and Khia... I mean, the public still doesn't know who the hell she is, really. I noticed that she started working with a few generic rappers (Khia and Chingy) during that time

Why doesn't "Daybreak" get a lot of love? I actually really loved that song. I think it would have been a better single than So Excited or Call on Me. In the back of my mind I feel like that could have been Escapade's younger (less successful) sibling.

I loved Daybreak as well but was ashamed to admit lol

• Upvote 1