What Janet album took the longest to grow on you?

Initially I didn't care much for the AFY album but it gradually crept it's way into my top 3 over the years. I remember first hearing China Love and thinking it's right up there with French Blue as one of her worst. But now it's a top 20 Janet track for me...ugh, AFY has so many layers and hidden gems buried within. It truly is Janet's grown woman record (many say janet. or DJ) and you can tell she was truly inspired recording the album while being newly single. 

Top five songs from the album:

1. China Love

2. Truth

3. Trust A Try

4. All For You

5. When We Ooo

20 Y.O was/is complete (sorry guys....and Janet) garbage!!!! I bought the deluxe edition. Listened to it once and never listened to it again. I was so disappointed. It didn't sound at all like the Janet I knew and loved. Aside from "enjoy" I fucking hated that whole album and era. I hated the fact that every interview and magazine centered around her current weight lost and not the music. And "so excited " featuring nasty ass KHIA made me hate that song even more....thank you JD....NOT!!!

Discipline was a very close 2nd. I could tell she didn't have much input in that album and it showed.

Janet during this time seemed uninspired. Terry was right when he said "if you have nothing to say then you shouldn't be in the studio". But I also know that Janet had to fulfill that contract with Virgin.

• Upvote 1

Ironically it was Velvet Rope. I was younger and wanted that banger of a lead single, and it didn't provide me that.  Then when listening for the first time I just didn't know what to think.  I was...intrigued?  But I wasn't head over heels.   It was just soooo introspective and unlike the Janet i knew and loved.  Of course, it soon became the theme album of my life at the time, and now it is and will always be amazing.  

All for You didn't really ever totally grow on me.  And everything between that and Unbreakable are filler to me.  

• Upvote 5

Maybe DJ, when I first heard it I remember feeling like these aren't a bunch of songs I'm in love with. I felt like it was mediocre. I didn't listen to it much, but after a while the album became dope. I found quite a few tracks I really loved from it. 

Island Life

Truly

Spending Time With You

My Baby

I Want You 

Slolove

Thinking Bout My Ex (Love It)

Strawberry Bounce

Sexhibition

Now, 20YO eventually became a very weak album to me even though the things on it that are good are GREAT like - Take Care, Luv 2 Luv, Roll Witchu Enjoy, Do It 2 Me & when not expecting it or after a long time of not hearing it I will allow Show Me to play but that's a lesser track. It felt like she had to fulfill an album to end the contract. Very trash era and not much creativity. 

Discipline wasn't a bad album. It felt like she could do what everyone else was doing and it still sound cool but it wasn't bad to me, had bland moments vocally but not bad. 

20 Y.O was/is complete (sorry guys....and Janet) garbage!!!! I bought the deluxe edition. Listened to it once and never listened to it again. I was so disappointed. It didn't sound at all like the Janet I knew and loved. Aside from "enjoy" I fucking hated that whole album and era. I hated the fact that every interview and magazine centered around her current weight lost and not the music. And "so excited " featuring nasty ass KHIA made me hate that song even more....thank you JD....NOT!!!

Discipline was a very close 2nd. I could tell she didn't have much input in that album and it showed.

Janet during this time seemed uninspired. Terry was right when he said "if you have nothing to say then you shouldn't be in the studio". But I also know that Janet had to fulfill that contract with Virgin.

The one thing I did enjoy about 20 YO was the DVD that came with it and the behind the scenes stuff but yes it was the worst and it seems all the good songs from that era were left off the album. Post JD her music has improved. Damita Jo took awhile to grow on me just because of all the mess during that era it was hard to appreciate it in that moment

The one thing I did enjoy about 20 YO was the DVD that came with it and the behind the scenes stuff but yes it was the worst and it seems all the good songs from that era were left off the album. Post JD her music has improved. Damita Jo took awhile to grow on me just because of all the mess during that era it was hard to appreciate it in that moment

Yeah the behind the scenes  was great but the the album just Fu*ked it up for me....hell I'm still mad. JD's presence on that album... on her career in general was the worst. The only thing I sorta liked about their relationship was that we got to see Janet more. But Janet choose him so I can't fault him for everything. 

I loved every single album right of the bat but not 20 and Disappointment. I LOVE some songs and hate others so they dont really work as albums for me.Something about them just doesn't flow organically like the others.

Edited by Blue
  • Upvote 1

Discipline took some time especially since she didn't write anything and I KNEW she didn't write anything (except an interlude 0_o) 

Oh gosh. "4 Words" (literally) and she had a co-writer for that, if I remember correctly. She really phoned that album in.

I kind of liked the choreo for "So Excited" but that was about it. The song is a complete whisper (like most of the 20YO album) and Khia... I mean, the public still doesn't know who the hell she is, really. I noticed that she started working with a few generic rappers (Khia and Chingy) during that time

Why doesn't "Daybreak" get a lot of love? I actually really loved that song. I think it would have been a better single than So Excited or Call on Me. In the back of my mind I feel like that could have been Escapade's younger (less successful) sibling.

• Upvote 2

Discipline still did not grown. . . And never will. 

With some exeptions like feedback curtains and rock with u. The whole album sound dated, old, and kitch .

Discipline was an LA Reid album the whole thing was his fault.  I am sitting here watching Kelly Price's story on TV one and her experience with LA Reid is the same as every female artists he has dealt with.  He tried to make her do music that sounded like everyone else. He didn't believe in the ideas she had. That was her first flop album after going platinum twice before. The same with Pink the same with Toni Braxton, the same with Shanice, the same with Patti Labelle.  I am just now realizing the whole era was his fault 

1. AFY, those album tracks took a REALLY long time for me to appreciate

2. TVR, I always liked it, but it didnt really grow on me fully until the teenage years

3. Discipline, it's her worst album, and I knew it from 1st listen, the only album I had no desire to go back and playthrough after the 1st listen, but as time went on I grew to appreciate it more, it took less time than the preivous 2

for me I dont have to think about it all any of us has to do is look at your play count....20YO has the least play count of any Janet album in my Itunes. I still think Discipline was a good album

Not entirely true. I played the FUCK out of DJ, 20 and Discipline but nah.. Play count is meaningless IMO 

• Upvote 1

I personally liked the vibe & choreo of So Excited, and I really liked Call on Me. Buuuut at first I liked Daybreak but then I thought about a 40 year old woman sneaking out to play. Just odd, unless it's her sneaking away from her team, but even then it's her employees. The vocals weren't good overall, it just didn't hold up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Goddamit, now I've got that stupid ass Rollercoaster song stuck in my head thanks to you guys talking about Discipline... 

That was actually my track & I liked quite a few songs on Discipline. I don't think it was a bad album at all. Rollercoaster, Luv, Feedback, So Much Betta, Discipline (sometimes), Curtains, Let Me Know, The 1, What's Ur Name

Buuuut at first I liked Daybreak but then I thought about a 40 year old woman sneaking out to play. Just odd, unless it's her sneaking away from her team, but even then it's her employees. The vocals weren't good overall, it just didn't hold up. 

It about her childhood

Edited by Game
  • Upvote 1

I liked it when it first came out. Was one of my favorites and it's not a terrible song. It's just the album and the song lacked creativity. 

I liked it too then grew out of it. I can also relate to a degree

Daybreak was an intentional nod to Escapade. You can't take the lyrics literally, it's a cute song...and I love how it transitions into Enjoy w/ the alarm clark, birds chirping etc.

And this... It's just Janet's attempt to recreate a "WITOY"