What Janet album took the longest to grow on you?

Great topic! Funnily enough, the album that took the longest to grow on me is also now my favorite album of all time: TVR. For years, I placed this album as one of her worst until around '08 or '09 I really dedicated myself to give it a chance. From there, that was all she wrote. I think what initially held me back was the same overall critique of the general populace. TVR was a departure from anything Janet had done up to that point, both sonically and lyrically. Of course there were standouts like TA and IGL but everything else was definitely an acquired taste.

Edited by youwantthisanytime
  • Upvote 1

Daybreak is among the few songs I play from the album. I liked the beat and didn't mind the sneaking out her room line ( I thought she was imagining being 8 again or something). I guess it's not a big standout on the album but I'd say it's one of the better tracks

Great topic! Funnily enough, the album that took the longest to grow on me is also now my favorite album of all time: TVR. For years, I placed this album as one of her worst until around '08 or '09 I really dedicated myself to give it a chance. From there, that was all she wrote. I think what initially held me back was the same overall critique of the general populace. TVR was a departure from anything Janet had done up to that point, both sonically and lyrically. Of course there were standouts like TA and IGL but everything else was definitely an acquired taste.

This is how i was with TVR too...it took me years to realise how good it is,

• Upvote 1

Yea I always had respect for what TVR is about, but it took a while before I could actually relate, once I could it shot the album up for a while, it's never been my #1, but it's never been out of my top 5 since I was 16, and I 1st got it when I was 12-13ish, and again though I respected it, compared to Control, RN, janet. & AFY I thought it had the most filler.  

Edited by jarrylf

Discipline is trash from beginning to end as a Janet album, but it's enjoyable enough if you ignore that it was from someone who is supposed to be so involved in her craft and puts out albums that are "about where she is at that point in her life". For me, it will never grow to be anything beyond a collection of songs by a great artist who was on a creative break at that moment.

• Upvote 1

Why doesn't "Daybreak" get a lot of love? I actually really loved that song. I think it would have been a better single than So Excited or Call on Me. In the back of my mind I feel like that could have been Escapade's younger (less successful) sibling.

i think people take Daybreak too literally considering the context in what the album is supposed to celebrate. It does remind me if Escapade and now, 2BLoved.

I personally liked the vibe & choreo of So Excited, and I really liked Call on Me. Buuuut at first I liked Daybreak but then I thought about a 40 year old woman sneaking out to play. Just odd, unless it's her sneaking away from her team, but even then it's her employees. The vocals weren't good overall, it just didn't hold up. 

I liked Call on ME until I saw the video.  I have never listened to that song voluntarily since. Those damn chimes in Daybreak make it hard to listen to the bridge in the song was weak as well.  Get it out me has grown on me only because it was played during my spin classes every week It would have been cool to see a video for that song minus Gil

It took me forever to actually listen to all of All For You. It was very fluffy and light which is fine for what it is but I usually don't like that type of thing unless it's for a few tracks or something. It's mainly the filler tracks that messes with the album but I like some of them though

• Upvote 1

It took me forever to actually listen to all of All For You. It was very fluffy and light which is fine for what it is but I usually don't like that type of thing unless it's for a few tracks or something. It's mainly the filler tracks that messes with the album but I like some of them though

I thought AFY was great especially coming off such a heavy album like TVR. It marked the return of a much happier Janet. As great as TVR is it made me sad to know that Janet was in such a deep depression during that time. I could literally see her sadness in a lot of her interviews.  Most notably the one she did with Planet Groove.

• Upvote 1

I thought AFY was great especially coming off such a heavy album like TVR. It marked the return of a much happier Janet. As great as TVR is it made me sad to know that Janet was in such a deep depression during that time. I could literally see her sadness in a lot of her interviews.  Most notably the one she did with Planet Groove.

Yeah I'm glad she was happy and everything. She was radiant then and it showed throughout the whole era. I didn't get to listen to the whole album until much later when going through her catalog. I do like it for what it represents for her at the time and I even see that sort of thing repeated with other people but some of the filler drags the album a good bit but grew to enjoy it as a whole

It took me awhile to appreciate what a great album All For You actually is. 

i cried the first time I heard it driving to work after buying it at Best Buy, my hour drive to Detroit, and I cried because I was soooo disappointed with the tracks after COGU those slow songs killed that album for me until I got further along but theres those three songs that come in that really made me side eye her ...Now I see AFY as a great pop album

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well All For You never grew on me at all - even now I only listen to the singles + Trust A Try & Come On Get Up. And 20YO I've never really liked.

As for everything else in her discography (not counting her first two albums, which I admit I have never given a proper chance) I guess Discipline took a while to grow on me, as did janet. actually.

Control, RN1814 & TVR were pretty much instant for me. And the latter two still rank amongst my favourite albums of all time, by anyone.

i cried the first time I heard it driving to work after buying it at Best Buy, my hour drive to Detroit, and I cried because I was soooo disappointed with the tracks after COGU those slow songs killed that album for me until I got further along but theres those three songs that come in that really made me side eye her ...Now I see AFY as a great pop album

Those four songs are the best slow songs she's done in years prior. When We Slaaa, China Love >>>> Any[ol']thing, Body that Bores You

You will not come for Anything! That's my favorite Janet song ever. China Love and When We Yawn are boring in comparison tbh

:lmao: The thought that a sex song like Anything is better than these well-constructed, thought out love songs is just silly.

Anything is simplistic and Janet rocked the vocals but it's repetitive and def a filler whereas WWO & CL are lyrically Janet's best non-single song and vocally... Janet has never sounded better :ph34r: 

Edited by Game

You will not come for Anything! That's my favorite Janet song ever. China Love and When We Yawn are boring in comparison tbh

Agreed. The slow songs on All For Poo don't hold a candle to Anything. TBTLY however is arguable depending on your taste (Brazilian jazz ain't for everyone).

Edited by youwantthisanytime
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I gotta have to admit not any of the albums after TVR grew on me. AFY had DRM, SOAG and YAR, Damita Jo had JALW, 20yo had ENJOY and Discpline had Feedback. None of those albums grew on me. Yet I still know all of them by heart. Unbreakable was an instant winner for me but now I barely listen to it at all. Dammn Baby & Well traveled are songs I play a few times a week.