50 killed in Florida nightclub, shooter pledged ISIS allegiance

jarrylf

A gay nightclub here was the scene early Sunday of the worst terror attack in U.S. history since 9/11.

* 50 people were killed inside the Pulse club and at least 53 people were injured, police say.
* The gunman was Omar Mateen of Ft. Pierce, Florida, a law enforcement source told CNN.
* Orlando police shot and killed Mateen.
* Mateen called 911 around the time of the attack to pledge allegiance to ISIS and mention the Boston bombers, according to a U.S. official.
"It appears he was organized and well-prepared," Orlando Police Chief John Mina said early Sunday. The shooter had an assault-type weapon, a handgun and "some type of (other) device on him."
There has been no claim of responsibility for the attack on jihadi forums, but ISIS sympathizers have reacted by praising the attack on pro-Islamic State forums.
Officials, aided by the FBI, warned that a lengthy investigation was ahead given the number of victims and the scope of the violence.
"There's blood everywhere," U.S. Rep. Alan Grayson told reporters. "There's an enormous amount of evidence to be collected."
It's just shocking," said Christopher Hansen, who was inside Pulse when he heard gunshots, "just one after another after another."
"It could have lasted a whole song," he said.
Hansen was getting a drink at the bar about 2 a.m. when he "just saw bodies going down."
Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer said he had declared a state of emergency for the city. Florida Governor Rick Scott declared a state of emergency for Orange County, where the attack occurred.
Before Sunday, the deadliest shootings in U.S. history were at Virginia Tech in 2007 and Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012, with 32 and 27 killed.
  • Upvote 1

My thoughts goes out to the family and friends of the victims and injured... The LGBT community and their allies.

I'm sitting here crying listening to these reports, President Obama's speech, and the thought that someone could hate themselves so much that they take it out on innocent people. 

I'm sitting here crying because I know, we all know, no solutions will come of this.. Nothing will stop this from happening next week or next month or next year... We are forced to live in fear.. We are forced to watch our own backs. We, the people, are not safe anywhere as long as the NRA and their supporters within our government holds us hostage to their definition of the Second Amendment. 

I shoulda know better... -_- 

• Upvote 2

the President said years before the biggest regret he had was not being able to do something about gun legislation. Now apparently a man has been taken into custody in California who had weapons and explosives headed to West Hollywood Pride.

Yea Im going through crazy emotions myself, I just ............why do we allow the fucking NRA to keep us hostage as a nation?!?!?! It's so fuckin obvious at this point, it just...does it even get to matter anymore? Like as sad and shocked and disturbed as I was by the news, what's most disturbing is that this has happened so much in the last couple of years it didn't hurt or surprise me as much as it should, and how everything is going as planned when this usually happens, down to Trumps stupidity.......Im going back to bed to start over...I can't with this shit right now

Yea Im going through crazy emotions myself, I just ............why do we allow the fucking NRA to keep us hostage as a nation?!?!?! It's so fuckin obvious at this point, it just...does it even get to matter anymore? Like as sad and shocked and disturbed as I was by the news, what's most disturbing is that this has happened so much in the last couple of years it didn't hurt or surprise me as much as it should, and how everything is going as planned when this usually happens, down to Trumps stupidity.......Im going back to bed to start over...I can't with this shit right now

That's what's so disturbing, how commonplace this has become. 

It is unbelievably sad, as all these mass killings are. This world is so fucked up. 

Its so sad that this is becoming a "it happened again" type thing now.  When I think of the nights I was out at clubs around the country with friends just trying to enjoy life and have fun.  And that it could have been me?  Any of my friends...and what can you do about it.  It has to be taken care of at a high level.  Gun control has to happen

• Upvote 3

Its so sad that this is becoming a "it happened again" type thing now.  When I think of the nights I was out at clubs around the country with friends just trying to enjoy life and have fun.  And that it could have been me?  Any of my friends...and what can you do about it.  It has to be taken care of at a high level.  Gun control has to happen

Its a huge issue of gun control we have to do something about this at the citizen level our elected officials and the big companies have failed us. we live in a world where people cant simply agree to disagree and keep the shit moving, no we live in a world where an actual presidential candidate can say horrible things about women and foreigners and people support him because deep down they feel the same way but dont have the power to enact the change they think we need.

This coward drove 2 hours to a gay night club with an assault weapon intent on killing innocent people for who they were, they didnt come to him, he came to them! I just wish someone in the club had of jumped his ass and a bunch of gays kick the living shit outta him in the bar next scene is he's in an orange jumpsuit black eyes cuts and bandages being told how many counts of murder he's facing....but Ill settle for the cop bullet he took. :filenails:

Edited by Stealth

It is unfortunate that the medias obsession with Isis is overshadowing that this was a hate crime.  50 people died because someone hated the fact that they were gay

Media is already plural.. Medium is the singular form. 

They're not ignoring the fact that the LGBTQ Community was targeted. They're more concern in dissecting the terrorist.. This is what they do... They search for answers... They want to know his thoughts, history... "Where did it all go wrong!?" headline. It happens each and every time. 

Media is already plural.. Medium is the singular form. 

They're not ignoring the fact that the LGBTQ Community was targeted. They're more concern in dissecting the terrorist.. This is what they do... They search for answers... They want to know his thoughts, history... "Where did it all go wrong!?" headline. It happens each and every time. 

the FBI had interviewed him like twice they said....because he was a sympathizer :sigh: now its all about dissecting exactly who he was and who knew him

The guys ex wife is saying he was psycho and bipolar smh

I just saw it, she was like he tried to control her, and her family stepped in to get her away from him....so back to FBI profiling, whose out there that fits that shit? Im just saying :unsure:  

Are y'all hearing about how there were multiple people with guns killing innocent people? Victims as well as others who escaped safely are coming forward saying this. The media isn't reporting because they don't wanna scare everybody.

Living in Europe, these types of attacks have unfortunately become common (they already were in America). It's almost made me desensitised to them. But then I see the mothers of the innocent people that were killed and my heart weeps. 

I'm glad the NRA was getting dragged. Whilst I do believe the whole "guns don't kill people, people kill people" mantra, I don't see how a regular citizen would need a fucking rifle. Like how is that easily purchasable? And the fact that the dude was on some sort of FBI list and was still able to purchase one? Why? I bet the sales of guns increased again after this. Do better, America. 

• Upvote 2

Living in Europe, these types of attacks have unfortunately become common (they already were in America). It's almost made me desensitised to them. But then I see the mothers of the innocent people that were killed and my heart weeps. 

I'm glad the NRA was getting dragged. Whilst I do believe the whole "guns don't kill people, people kill people" mantra, I don't see how a regular citizen would need a fucking rifle. Like how is that easily purchasable? And the fact that the dude was on some sort of FBI list and was still able to purchase one? Why? I bet the sales of guns increased again after this. Do better, America. 

Gun sales have increased after each and every mass shooting since POTUS Obama took office. 

Working with ALOT of Republicans I see them all up in arms literally.  After all these shootings they think that we coming to take all their weapons.  The guys in the office literally went and got all kinds of ammo after San Bernadino because they thought it was coming they would ban certain weapons.

It is insane that they truly believe people are coming to take ALL GUNS.  It is glaringly obvious no one in civilian life needs a fucking semi automatic.  What kinda monster deer are you trying to hunt you cant kill with a regular rifle?  I think the second amendment is fine, but reasonable obvious changes HAVE to be made.  It should never be so easy to get a gun. If you have mental issues, or are on fucking government no fly and watch lists then you lucky you not in jail.  You sure as fuck shouldn't be able to get a gun

• Upvote 2