Truth

Selz

Somebody please help me out - I'm hopeless at interpreting song lyrics, same with poetry etc.  What did Janet write 'Truth' about - was she aiming it at somebody or... ?  I was just listening to it on my iPod and got to wondering. :)

• Upvote 1

One of her best songs EVER!
One of my favorites <3

And I also think it's about René....

Listen, I had a career before, now didn't I?
I had lots of friends before, now didn't I?
And I had my fans before, now didn't I?
And I had my family before, now didn't I?

• Upvote 3

Wasn't y'all around the 'all for you" era where in almost every interview Janet would say ' there's a line or 2 in SOAG about Rene that a Terry wrote' and that she wrote Truth and that was about the marriage with him.

Now with that said, Truth is my damn song... The vocals especially in 2nd verse.... Yassssss she gave me life.

Pretty sure it's about Rene and how she'll be fine without him

It was definitely about Rene. They were still going through the divorce issues. I'm guessing he was trying to take so much from her and trying to claim he's the reason why she became so big but she was already big before him

One of her best and one of my favourites from her... I love this song. She keeps it real, honest and raw in this song. She is surprised and disappointed of the sad events but still stays strong and knows she will get through the bad times while staying true to herself. And I looove the the Five Stairsteps 'Ooh child' sample. 2Pac also sampled the same song in "Keep ya head up" (also an amazing song). I think in a way she's comforting both herself and the other person: "Ooh child / Things are gonna get easier / Ooh child thing will be bright cause / Truth will set you free".

:wub::wub::wub:

"Won't trip out on disappointment
Cause failure is just not me
Still I gotta do my job
Cause you know my show can't go on without me" :whistle::whistle:

AFY was an amazing album.

I love AFY <3

The song is really detailed for it to be a Janet track who is really private. I love the song because of how honest she is. Certain lines make me think that the divorce from Rene was an equally wrong thing on both of their sides. Something tells me Janet wasn't or didn't feel innocent in the way it played out & he definitely did his part. "How much is enough to pay for this mistake, hope your love was sincere." 

She is recognizing she fucked up & hopes he loved her enough to let it be and just forgive her. Not write a tell-all book which was being discussed at the time. Not allow anger to bring them to a messy place. So there was some deep stuff that happened between them, & Jimmy always still speaks highly of Rene...so idk there's a lot to that story I'm sure.  

One of her best and one of my favourites from her... I love this song. She keeps it real, honest and raw in this song.

This also brings me to a point, one of Janet's flaws post Super Bowl was her lack of making honest and raw tracks/projects about the circumstances. Now, I'm sure that was also due to label influences and the desire to get through being blackballed by the industry. But she could have easily done a couple tracks about Justin's lack of loyalty & just how important loyalty was to her. The way the industry has backed up from her, the way she was being used as an escape goat. The way she was being exposed & scandalized. It would have made for a more authentic era. She could have done like she did with AFY. 

@Dal opinions?

Edited by FreelovesJJ
  • Upvote 2

The song is really detailed for it to be a Janet track who is really private. I love the song because of how honest she is. Certain lines make me think that the divorce from Rene was an equally wrong thing on both of their sides. Something tells me Janet wasn't or didn't feel innocent in the way it played out & he definitely did his part. "How much is enough to pay for this mistake, hope your love was sincere." 

She is recognizing she fucked up & hopes he loved her enough to let it be and just forgive her. Not write a tell-all book which was being discussed at the time. Not allow anger to bring them to a messy place. So there was some deep stuff that happened between them, & Jimmy always still speaks highly of Rene...so idk there's a lot to that story I'm sure.  

This also brings me to a point, one of Janet's flaws post Super Bowl was her lack of making honest and raw tracks/projects about the circumstances. Now, I'm sure that was also due to label influences and the desire to get through being blackballed by the industry. But she could have easily done a couple tracks about Justin's lack of loyalty & just how important loyalty was to her. The way the industry has backed up from her, the way she was being used as an escape goat. The way she was being exposed & scandalized. It would have made for a more authentic era. She could have done like she did with AFY. 

@Dal opinions?

yea I think it was a missed oppurtunity.. It def would've been interesting to hear her "in-the-moment" feelings projected through her music.. We never really got that.. On the Unbreakable album, she touched a little on the topic with After You Fall, possibly, though I tend to believe that song had more to do with Mike and his experience that she witnessed him endure as opposed to her own, as I would feel that she probably wouldn't want to bring it up again (about herself) so many years later.. Plus AYF flows right into BHH, hence another reason..

but I would've loved to hear her anger (or whatever emotions she was feeling in early 2004) through her music more..

I remember when Mike released the track listing for his box set The Ultimate Collection, and the very last song was a brand new song co-produced by Darkchild called "We've Had Enough," and MJ author/autobiographer J. Randy Taraborelli made it a big deal that this song was going to be a brand new duet between MJ and Janet and that they were going to be "spitting blood" (his exact words) at the media.. He went on ET and announced that, and folks got hyped, only to be let down.. Though it's still another amazing MJ track..

yea I think it was a missed oppurtunity.. It def would've been interesting to hear her "in-the-moment" feelings projected through her music.. We never really got that.. On the Unbreakable album, she touched a little on the topic with After You Fall, possibly, though I tend to believe that song had more to do with Mike and his experience that she witnessed him endure as opposed to her own, as I would feel that she probably wouldn't want to bring it up again (about herself) so many years later.. Plus AYF flows right into BHH, hence another reason..

but I would've loved to hear her anger (or whatever emotions she was feeling in early 2004) through her music more..

I remember when Mike released the track listing for his box set The Ultimate Collection, and the very last song was a brand new song co-produced by Darkchild called "We've Had Enough," and MJ author/autobiographer J. Randy Taraborelli made it a big deal that this song was going to be a brand new duet between MJ and Janet and that they were going to be "spitting blood" (his exact words) at the media.. He went on ET and announced that, and folks got hyped, only to be let down.. Though it's still another amazing MJ track..

I think AYF is more about her but also she could just relate to MJ. It makes more sense to be her. She also disappeared like MJ & found peace in her "go to place". And I think it really discussed her fall from grace with the Super Bowl, LA Reid, labels and all. I think it was something that related to her family but most her story...which is why BHH comes next. Then Night because despite it all she's still getting all her blessings. 

I think AYF is more about her but also she could just relate to MJ. It makes more sense to be her. She also disappeared like MJ & found peace in her "go to place". And I think it really discussed her fall from grace with the Super Bowl, LA Reid, labels and all. I think it was something that related to her family but most her story...which is why BHH comes next. Then Night because despite it all she's still getting all her blessings. 

yea we just see it diff but it's cool lol

AYF is NOT about MJ 

if you want to relate it to him, fine... But it has nothing to do with him. Just like YOU had nothing to do with him but the media and most of his old fans thought so. I could see how 

No song on the album is about her bro. All songs are a reflection of Janet's feels or reaction 

Edited by Game
  • Downvote 1

I always interpreted AYF as her first personal glimpse into how she felt after Superbowl. Not MJ. But it can be related to anything since the lyrics are so open. The song is stunning to me. One of my favourites and always puts a lump in my throat.

AYF is NOT about MJ 

if you want to relate it to him, fine... But it has nothing to do with him. Just like YOU had nothing to do with him but the media and most of his old fans thought so. I could see how 

No song on the album is about her bro. All songs are a reflection of Janet's feels or reaction 

Which album?

Edited by Dammn Bu
  • Upvote 1

I always interpreted AYF as her first personal glimpse into how she felt after Superbowl. Not MJ. But it can be related to anything since the lyrics are so open. The song is stunning to me. One of my favourites and always puts a lump in my throat.

Which album?

I think the song is mostly about her like 95% and 5% is a combination of her & her family. Just like "No Sleeep" is not about Joe Jackson yet she dedicated the video to him. I think she is able to discuss what she has been through herself as well as relate what her family goes through all in one song. 

AYF is NOT about MJ 

if you want to relate it to him, fine... But it has nothing to do with him. Just like YOU had nothing to do with him but the media and most of his old fans thought so. I could see how 

Yea yea yea.. I've heard you say that x1000 and Idc.. I'm sure it's about him.. Carry on ?

Which album?

Yes it is exactly that, although the song is dull and one of her worst ballads, it is a self-relfected song. Just like all songs on the album we're referring to is a self-reflecting song

Only idiots and Wacko fans want everything to be about their beloved & fallen idol. It's so weird IMO.

I've seen one fan state that Night was about MJ simply bc it followed BHH :lmao:.. Some deluded to some ode in the NS video :lmao: The reach is real with the Wackos

The order of the tracklisting has nothing to do with the meaning of the individual songs

Edited by Game

Yes it is exactly that, although the song is dull and one of her worst ballads, it is a self-relfected song. Just like all songs on the album we're referring to is a self-reflecting song

Only idiots and Wacko fans want everything to be about their beloved & fallen idol. It's so weird IMO.

I've seen one fan state that Night was about MJ simply bc it followed BHH :lmao:.. Some deluded to some ode in the NS video :lmao: The reach is real with the Wackos

The order of the tracklisting has nothing to do with the meaning of the individual songs

It is not one of her worst ballads :rolleyes:. Nothing is though :shifty:

The only MJ related song she has is BHH tbh. Omg not Night :lmao:

MJ stans do that a lot. "Oh Janet has to call her baby Michael if it's a boy". Why? His two adopted sons are both called Michael :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Only time I'll explain my POV on this track:

After You Fall

Who's gonna be there
After you fall
Who's gonna be there
After it all

Your resilience so brilliant (I don't feel like she would call anything of herself "brilliant")
Yet you stand strong
But this pain you feel
Never thought that a hurt
Could be so deep
And now trust for you has new meaning (he's been betrayed by many people over the years)

After you fall
Who's gonna be there
After you fall
Oh whoa
Who's gonna be there
After you fall
Who's gonna care for you
After it all

Alone you wanna be
I know there ya feel safe
It's ya go to place (Neverland, this isn't referring to Dubai where Janet lives now, because during the SB fiasco she wasn't living in Dubai)
They let evil bare their souls (the accusers, attorneys, media)
Take control God has no home (they'll lie, steal, cheat to get their ultimate goal: money)
And all the good you do
They still want to keep you down (he's donated to more charities than other celebrity)

After you fall
Who's gonna be there
After you fall
Oh whoa

Your resilience so brilliant
Yeah you stand strong
But this pain you feel
Could cut ya so deep
And now trust for you has new
Meaning

After you fall
Who's gonna be there
With you through all
Who's gonna care for you
After it all yeah
Who's gonna be there
After you fall
I will (she literally supported him publically with Scream and attending several court dates in 04-05)
-----------------------------------

Add onto the fact that it's been stated that AYF was the very first song written and recorded for the album, so I'd assume that MJ would be more on her mind at the start of this project, considering this was the first album she had created since the passing of her closest sibling.

She's had over a decade to write about the treatment she received after the SB, but chose to only do so now..? I just don't believe that she would want to further remind people of that whole debacle when she's tried for so long to bury it. The only time she spoke to directly about the SB on this album is the very first line of the very first song imo..

Lastly, Janet has stated time and time again thoughout several interviews that she doesn't like to talk about MJ's last years that much (or even look at photos of him in his later years), but she's much more comfortable to speak about their time growing up together. Which lends credit to my theory that the end of AYF leading into BHH is intentional (moreso the way it's done). AYF ends on a somber, slow feeling, which then sees BHH begin with almost no intro music and Janet begins singing immediately. As if to say like "I don't want to dwell for very long on the negatives of his life, and feel much more comfortable speaking about my favorite memories with him, growing up."

Not trying to convince anyone to think the way I do about AYF, but only explaining why I interpret this song the way that I do.. If you disagree, that's cool too, but it's not going to change what I picture when I listen to this song..

have a good day folks! ?

• Upvote 1

That's not the same thing :wacko: 

yes. Yes it is. It's dual meanings, much like her tour has nothing to do with her family nor her success. Yet she thanks everyone for supporting her whole family & on behalf of her family. She's representing a whole not a singular...in her perspective. 

I get how you came to that conclusion but I think she relates to this herself too as well as MJ

After You Fall

Who's gonna be there
After you fall
Who's gonna be there
After it all

Your resilience so brilliant (I think the resilience is brilliance. Like she attributes to her mother & said she now realizes she has)
Yet you stand strong
But this pain you feel
Could be so deep
And now trust for you has new meaning (she too was betrayed by labels, husbands, friends, Justin & the industry)

After you fall
Who's gonna be there
After you fall
Oh whoa
Who's gonna be there
After you fall
Who's gonna care for you
After it all

Alone you wanna be
I know there ya feel safe
It's ya go to place (Its not just super bowl it's also post Discipline & label disputes. The old video of her saying she might go independent & she doesn't know if she would do it all again if she had to so she just disappears into her comfort zone)
They let evil bare their souls (the executives, industry, media)
Take control God has no home (they'll lie, steal, cheat to get their ultimate goal: money)
And all the good you do
They still want to keep you down (she too did charity even tho not as much and like Collin Powell who turned against her after she raised money for him)

After you fall
Who's gonna be there
After you fall
Oh whoa

Your resilience so brilliant
Yeah you stand strong
But this pain you feel
Could cut ya so deep
And now trust for you has new
Meaning

After you fall
Who's gonna be there
With you through all
Who's gonna care for you
After it all yeah
Who's gonna be there
After you fall
I will (sometimes you have to pick yourself up)

yes. Yes it is. It's dual meanings, much like her tour has nothing to do with her family nor her success. Yet she thanks everyone for supporting her whole family & on behalf of her family. She's representing a whole not a singular...in her perspective. 

No.. You're mixing shit up.. You went from XYZ to 123... Joe Jackson being in the NS video has nothing to do with AYF lyrics 

It is not one of her worst ballads :rolleyes:. Nothing is though :shifty:

The only MJ related song she has is BHH tbh. Omg not Night :lmao:

MJ stans do that a lot. "Oh Janet has to call her baby Michael if it's a boy". Why? His two adopted sons are both called Michael :rolleyes:

Nothing isn't that bad.. It's for a soundtrack.. Whereas AYF is the worst she wrote

They do the most. Like copy and paste lyrics, bold the lyrics make them fit their narrative (giving me YOU, TVR 1997-teas)... It's quite pathetic that they think Janet gives that much of a fuck like they do. Janet doesn't write songs with her family in her mind. She writes songs about herself and own experiences she has with loved ones

Its equivalent to Jermaine Jackson fans saying "This Body" is about Jermaine or Paris Jackson fans saying "TGF" is about Paris