Truth

Selz

While recording the album, did you feel any pressure to compete with the new girls? For example, [GrandMa Donna's shit album] includes some sounds that are reflected in current pop music. Or did you just want to go back to the basics?
JJ: As far as competing, there was no sense of that because we’re fans of all the ladies out there doing their thing. I think it’s more about making an album that’s true to us and sounds like Janet — whether it’s a piano ballad or a house record. When you think about Janet’s history in music and her catalogue, you have uptempo fun sounds like “Escapade” and “Miss You Much,” the really funky “What Have You Done For Me Lately” and “Nasty” songs, and the rock-inspired “Black Cat” — and it’s all her! So it’s not about trying to be trendy, it’s taking all those kinds of music that she loves and making it sound like her. If it sounds like Janet, that means we’ve done our job. If we aimed the record at anyone, it would definitely be her fans. That was the whole spirit of the record.

TL: I think Control is timeless, because it was basically the coming out of a budding flower. That was when Janet found her voice. Prior to that record, people just gave her songs to sing. But on Control she really had the opportunity to figure out who she was musically and what she wanted to say. That was the beginning of everything, in terms of success. If you think about what we’re doing now, we’re in the same place. [Unbreakable] is just the evolution of that.

Jam: She was in a place where she wanted to make an album and she wanted to do it on her own label so she could release it the way she wanted to. There was going to be no outside influence. The only reason we got into the project was because it was going to be the way we did it in the old days.

Q: At times, her voice recalls her brother Michael’s. Did you discuss that? Especially on “The Great Forever.”

Jam: No. When people said that, I wasn’t thinking that at all.

Lewis: Nor I.

Jam: As far as how she uses the percussiveness of her voice, we’ve always enjoyed that about the way she sings. The way she puts the rhythm into her voice. We’re aware of that. I think it’s probably we haven’t heard Michael’s voice in a while. Maybe it’s more so on “Broken Hearts Heal” because that song is about him.

But that wasn’t a planned thing.

I think it’s just her attitude about the song. At no time did we say: “Go sing like Michael.”

"We insisted that had to be that process again — just us, no record company, no A&R or anything like that," Jam says. "Let us make the record we want to make. It felt like 'Control' again. It was a rediscovering of that, except her voice has matured and our chops in the studio have gotten better."

If it sounded like it was forced, or we're chasing something, that's not what we're trying to do. We did isolate ourselves. Our partners in BMG did not know what the album would sound like till we finished. She's an indie artist with her own label, which is cool, because it allows her to make an album without pressure or expectations of sales. That was refreshing.

Both Jam and Lewis believe that fans will be surprised at the different versions of Jackson that show up on the album, but ultimately she’ll still be holding everything together. “I think it’s totally different from any of her other albums,” says Jam. “But it feels like her. At the end of the day, I go back to that. The thing about this album is there’s a lot of different places that it touches, but at the end of the day, it’s pure Janet.”

Edited by Game

Damita Jo shits on this album

Critics and fans disagree 

Unbreakable: 

CRITICS - 75/100

User Reviews - 8.3/10

Damita Jo: 

Critics - 53 (her second lowest)

Users - 7.5/10

If you think that sorry excuse for an album is half as good and complete as UNBREAKABLE then you should share your drugs with everyone 

Edited by Game

I disagree with some of you saying that only one song on Unbreakable is about MJ. I think you can feel him all over the record... I believe his struggles and passing had a big influence on this record, not just BHH. I find Dal's interpretation of AYF interesting. I always thought the song was about Janet herself, but now that you put it out there in such a detailed manner I can definitely understand it that way as well. (Meaning that it's possibly about MJ or both of them).

Also, MJ comes to my mind while listening to Unbreakable, Dreammaker and especially the Great Forever. Even though the lyrics on TGF wouldn't be about MJ per se, I do believe they intentionally made her sound like Michael or at least tried to get the same vibe as MJ used to have in his music. I think this was made in order to show that his spirit lives on no matter what or somehing like that....

These tweets prove my point, in my opinion...

https://mobile.twitter.com/questlove/status/650176165911527424

https://mobile.twitter.com/flytetymejam/status/651541572438245376

giphy_zpso7r6rq1i.gif

Theres even an interview out there somewhere where Jimmy states that for so long they always steered away from having Janet sound like anything remotely close to her bro(s), but on this album, they basically said to hell with that notion and allowed her true and raw musical influences to shine through, regardless if that meant that she would have a similar sound to her family..

I wish there were more up vote green arrows I could click on your post!

:clapping:

• Downvote 1

I disagree with some of you saying that only one song on Unbreakable is about MJ. I think you can feel him all over the record... I believe his struggles and passing had a big influence on this record, not just BHH. I find Dal's interpretation of AYF interesting. I always thought the song was about Janet herself, but now that you put it out there in such a detailed manner I can definitely understand it that way as well. (Meaning that it's possibly about MJ or both of them).

Also, MJ comes to my mind while listening to Unbreakable, Dreammaker and especially the Great Forever. Even though the lyrics on TGF wouldn't be about MJ per se, I do believe they intentionally made her sound like Michael or at least tried to get the same vibe as MJ used to have in his music. I think this was made in order to show that his spirit lives on no matter what or somehing like that....

These tweets prove my point, in my opinion...

https://mobile.twitter.com/questlove/status/650176165911527424

https://mobile.twitter.com/flytetymejam/status/651541572438245376

Both Jimmy and Terry stated that they did NOT say "go sound like this.." On any record from this album. 

MJ fans are only attempting to move his legacy over to Janet, forgetting and/or ignoring her musical history.

E/DM is such a horrid song so you can have any opinion of that  

• Downvote 1

Both Jimmy and Terry stated that they did NOT say "go sound like this.." On any record from this album. 

Go ahead and take another L for that one bruh!! :lmao: you're making this so easy to show how incompetent you are and have always been...

Read below what Jimmy said, from his own lips!

GON' BE ALRIGHT

At the beginning of talking about the new album, one of the things we wanted was to have something with a Sly and the Family Stone energy [and] a Jackson Five feel to it. 

She's always stayed away from anything like her brothers' [music] but we really felt like that this was appropriate. Particularly on a song like Broken Hearts Heal - which is a song directly about her brother, and them growing up together.

Gon' B Alright squeaked onto the album at the last minute. We really had a tough time recording it - maybe two or three attempts. 

Interestingly enough, Janet actually does all the vocals - all the high voices and the low ones - with a little tape trickery and Janet singing in different voices and different characters. 

We thought it was a great way to end the album - on a note of optimism. I think the record is everything she wanted it to be. So I hope people are accepting of it and enjoy it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34404314

:lmao::lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao::lmao:

giphy_zps9esamyyv.gif

The Jackson 5 includes all FIVE Jacksons AND Family Stone  :umm: that doesn't make it about MJ 

And Jimmy said "energy & feeling"

Jimmy & Terry did not tell Janet "go sound like the XYZ" 

If you don't know the difference than that's not my fault. *waits for tired insults and a rebuttal* :sigh: 

giphy_zps5i1smdbl.gif

keep that reach going Norm-Norm! :lmao:

and I love how you didn't include the fact that Jimmy said that BHH is literally "directly about" MJ.. That part didn't fit your agenda tho, so I get why you would just sweep that under the rug.. :P

...also, I don't know what "insults" you're referring to.. I state facts.. #yourealoser

giphy_zps5i1smdbl.gif

keep that reach going Norm-Norm! :lmao:

and I love how you didn't include the fact that Jimmy said that BHH is literally "directly about" MJ.. That part didn't fit your agenda tho, so I get why you would just sweep that under the rug.. :P

...also, I don't know what "insults" you're referring to.. I state facts.. #yourealoser

I didn't mention that bc that's obvious :wacko: 

Yup!!! I'm a loser... yet here you are, as always bc you're my biggest fan, attempting to argue with me while ignoring your children. You're such a great father ^_^ 

• Downvote 1

Q: At times, her voice recalls her brother Michael’s. Did you discuss that? Especially on “The Great Forever.”

Jam: No. When people said that, I wasn’t thinking that at all.

Lewis: Nor I.

Jam: As far as how she uses the percussiveness of her voice, we’ve always enjoyed that about the way she sings. The way she puts the rhythm into her voice. We’re aware of that. I think it’s probably we haven’t heard Michael’s voice in a while. Maybe it’s more so on “Broken Hearts Heal” because that song is about him.

But that wasn’t a planned thing.

I think it’s just her attitude about the song. At no time did we say: “Go sing like Michael.”

Anyhow.. As Jimmy & Terry said.. Word for word ^

• Downvote 1

Yup!!! I'm a loser... yet here you are, as always bc you're my biggest fan, attempting to argue with me while ignoring your children. You're such a great father ^_^ 

First of all.....Thanks for agreeing that you're a loser.. That was easier than I had anticipated..

Secondly, you're finally correct about one thing: I am a great father! Second to none! I love my family like crazy....and they love me back..

image_zpst4ftm3fr.jpeg

maybe one day you too will have a family of your own so that the hole in your heart that keeps tearing you apart can be filled...

I wouldn't bet on it tho.. #sorrynotsorry

(sidenote: they're with their grandma for the day, I pick them up later tonight #nicetry)

Anyhow.. As Jimmy & Terry said.. Word for word ^

I believe nobody was saying that J&T demanded her to sound like anyone....

uuuhhhh...you said that all on your own :huh: (creating that truth you like again)..

And the fact that they responded to ?uestlove's tweet about TGF vocals sounding like MJ being brought back (or something to that effect) by saying "I knew you'd get it" leaves your argument in the gutter... As usual..

and you have said before that BHH isn't about MJ, but about Janet's feelings about MJ.. #wrongagain

I think I've proven enough with you..

#gotryandwinatsomethingelseinlifenow

??

• Upvote 3

I don't think anyone demanded her to sound like Michael. I also believe they don't want to discuss the issue on interviews. I'm sure Janet is tired of the comparisons of her copying her brother etc. I think it's something that happened organically and naturally as MJ's spirit lives on in her and her music... and finally she was free to show all her past influences as someone pointed before... and I also believe she wanted to pay an homage to him in her own special, personal way (I don't mean that she wanted to copy him, but to show how much she loves him).

Don't forget that in 2001 MJ released an album called Invincible with a track called Unbreakable... I don't think it's a coincidence Janet named hers the same. Someone who's listened to MJ's Invincible can probably hear how that record influenced both lyrically and musically Janet's album and especially TGF. I see Janet's song Unbreakable as a continuation to MJ's track with the same title.

Have a nice weekend folks!

MJ does NOT live on in Janet Jackson's music period. Janet is Janet so yes it happened organically.. Bc they're siblings

They are two different people who are related and Janet is not a ship that MJ fans can now climb aboard and pretend she's "channeling" him bc he decided to kill himself 

MJ's dated Unbreakable song is shit and is a fantasy

Janet's Unbreakable is a reality. About the live from her JanFam, family, & friends period. It's a coincidence that they share the same title.