Is she embarrassed of the "janet" and "RN" tours?

Dal

(FYI: This is lengthy cuz I just typed it while on the toilet ??)

Why haven't we seen the janet. and Rhythm Nation tours ever released on DVD or Bluray or digital..?

I feel it's possible that the reason these tours are not released yet could be because she's too embarrassed..

Whenever she sees these, if ever, I feel like she overly critiques everything to the point of wanting to just lock it away..

Let's be real..

She prolly nitpicks things like her clothes, hair, choreography, staging, effects, etc etc..and I'm not saying any of that would be justified (really I think both tours were insanely epic, from what I've seen),, but I'd say it would seem rather easy to do so, if only because these tours are somewhat dated, to say the least..

When they showed her tour career montage at the BET Awards last year, did you see any clips from the RN or janet. tours..?? Nope.. Nothing but a picture of her silhouette on stage during the RN tour at the very end of the video..

Why is that..?

I don't think it's insane to believe that we possibly would've never seen a full pro-shot concert of either the VR or AFY concerts had they not been released only months after they had concluded the tour..

In a way, Janet said it herself when she mentioned during her ICON special that she has a hard time looking back at old videos and footage of herself because she is too embarrassed by it.. That doesn't sound like a woman who would be ready to put herself out there for the world to be reminded of her work at such a young age.. Not to mention the potential for reviews and comparisons drawn between her career then as opposed to her career now (or even comparisons to other artists, old and new)..

Obviously much of these tours are available throughout YouTube, but her remastering them and releasing them officially would magnify the amount of viewers these will have by x1000, hence an influx of publicity regarding these tours..

Also, why was the London show of the UCAP tour professionally filmed for VEVO and then seemingly suddenly scrapped...?? Did Janet not like what she saw as the end result?

I really do wish these things were released.. Simple things like these that are already in the can and just waiting for the public's eyes. Unfortunately, and I don't feel good saying this, but I wouldn't be surprised if these never were up for sale until after she's no longer with us.. ?

Supply & demand.

She'll sell 25-50k DVDs. Is that worth her time, energy, & resources? Probably not

Nowadays there's digital HD, iTunes, Qello, AXS, Palladia, and hell even Netflix..

Sure there's somewhat of an overhead when it's a physical release (DVDs/Blurays/CDs for audio), but digital is where there's minimal overhead costs associated with a release..

And supply and demand wouldn't explain the cancellation of the planned VEVO release of the UCAP London show, that was already filmed..

Plus, if she sold only 25k (the minimum that you stated she would), at $14.99 that would equal almost $375,000. Not only that, but it would surely jumpstart her catalog sales, totaling even more revenue.. And I can't imagine it would cost more than a few grand to get those concerts remastered and released digitally...

?

Nowadays there's digital HD, iTunes, Qello, AXS, Palladia, and hell even Netflix..

Sure there's somewhat of an overhead when it's a physical release (DVDs/Blurays/CDs for audio), but digital is where there's minimal overhead costs associated with a release..

And supply and demand wouldn't explain the cancellation of the planned VEVO release of the UCAP London show, that was already filmed..

Plus, if she sold only 25k (the minimum that you stated she would), at $14.99 that would equal almost $375,000. Not only that, but it would surely jumpstart her catalog sales, totaling even more revenue.. And I can't imagine it would cost more than a few grand to get those concerts remastered and released digitally...

?

I don't think Janet is that petty. She wouldn't hold back releasing her tours for superficial reasons. 

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/whats-the-true-cost-to-remaster-a-tv-show.184754/

^ To remaster a television show... 2nd post by Vidiot:

We're in the process of doing a major HD remaster for a 1990s network sitcom, and the barely-break-even package price was $10,000 per episode. But that included about 12 hours of telecine time to transfer all the footage, then another 3 hours of HD editing time to put all the pieces together, four hours of final color-correction, and then additional time for titling and an audio layback.

If the show is already cut together on film, like most pre-1988 shows, then I would say four or five hours of telecine time would be reasonable. Normal LA rates for HD mastering are at about $400-$500 per facility hour, so that'd be about $2500 per half-hour episode, including blank tape stock and an audio layback.

Where are you getting your information from? I've been told that Universal is paying very low rates at the moment, and is more in the $250/hour range (again, about five hours of mastering time for a half-hour show). Maybe they're including copyright fees, DVD mastering, distribution, and a bunch of other factors beyond my department.

I think the real reason why more TV series aren't released to home video is not because of cost. It's because many executives believe average people aren't interested in buying them on DVD or Blu-ray.

Edited by Game

I don't think Janet is that petty. She wouldn't hold back releasing her tours for superficial reasons. 

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/whats-the-true-cost-to-remaster-a-tv-show.184754/

^ To remaster a television show

that link pretty much states that it would actually be rather inexpensive to remaster something like these tours and release them, at least digitally. Janet has said that all of her tours were originally filmed in high definition to begin with.. So it doesn't seem as though they would need to go through each film reel and literally reassemble each camera angle/shot..

im just not seeing any true evidence that amounts to it being the overhead costs to get these released..

that link pretty much states that it would actually be rather inexpensive to remaster something like these tours and release them, at least digitally. Janet has said that all of her tours were originally filmed in high definition to begin with.. So it doesn't seem as though they would need to go through each film reel and literally reassemble each camera angle/shot..

im just not seeing any true evidence that amounts to it being the overhead costs to get these released..

High definition in 1994 is not the same or even close to HD in 2016.. I think you're low balling the expenses. I'm not saying that that's the reason why it's not getting released. The overheard is fine.. But would it make a sustainable profit? 

A pretty small one unless she releases them digitally to NetFlix or iTunes 

High definition in 1994 is not the same or even close to HD in 2016.. I think you're low balling the expenses. I'm not saying that that's the reason why it's not getting released. The overheard is fine.. But would it make a sustainable profit? 

A pretty small one unless she releases them digitally to NetFlix or iTunes 

I don't see it being the expenses as to why it's not been released.. I'm sure the filming and editing of the No Sleeep, Burnitup and Dammn Baby lyric videos cost a decent amount, and all those actually had to be created from nothing (with really no foreseen "profit" to be had)....while these old tours are already executed and filmed just collecting dust..

Embarrassed?????? :blink::wacko:

Embarrassed!? I've watched footage from both the RN tour and the Janet tour. And they are just as great as the others. When and if she does release them I hope there is a lot of unseen behind the scenes footage.  I love that  kind of stuff.

I don't feel that it's such a crazy-out-of-this-world possibility..

She has said before that she gets embarrassed when she looks back on old videos and footage..

were you also just as puzzled (or whatever you are) when you heard her say that..?

here's Janet speaking on this topic from 8 years ago..

Man time flies, I remember that interview like it came out last year. I always thought those were really good questions the fan asked. I was dying to hear "Ruff" lol!

She doesn't seem embarrassed about the tours, but if anything she's very much a perfectionist.

• Upvote 1

I don't feel that it's such a crazy-out-of-this-world possibility..

She has said before that she gets embarrassed when she looks back on old videos and footage..

were you also just as puzzled (or whatever you are) when you heard her say that..?

i think you are diving wayyyy too far into what you think she thinks. She has never stated that any of her tours embarrass her. She was saying she gets embarrassed at old pics and footage like EVERYONE does. Thats common among ppl... old photos of them when they were kids, video recordings,etc. If she was really embarrassed she would have NEVER said that she wanted to release those tours on dvd,PERIOD.  I cant believe this is even a topic let alone a thread. This thought is baseless. 

• Upvote 1

I think it might be a slight possibility. I also feel like the more she delays it the more dated the RN tour becomes. I think she was also singing live more during the RN tour and the vocals aren't really perfect at a lot of points so maybe the perfectionist side of her doesn't want that out for mass consumption. 

You can say now it's an issue of profit but she could've released it in the early 00's when she was still close to her peak of her commercial career. I think she's an artist that doesn't like to look back too often which as a fan of MJ who really didn't change much in terms of choreography and tour setup for almost 20 years I appreciated.

• Upvote 1

i think you are diving wayyyy too far into what you think she thinks. She has never stated that any of her tours embarrass her. She was saying she gets embarrassed at old pics and footage like EVERYONE does. Thats common among ppl... old photos of them when they were kids, video recordings,etc. If she was really embarrassed she would have NEVER said that she wanted to release those tours on dvd,PERIOD.  I cant believe this is even a topic let alone a thread. This thought is baseless. 

no she wasn't talking about old family photos embarrassing her.. When she said on the MTV ICON special, I believe she was talking about videos from the 80's (and they were showing those videos and the like as she was saying that)..

but your opinion is noted...

I don't see it being the expenses as to why it's not been released.. I'm sure the filming and editing of the No Sleeep, Burnitup and Dammn Baby lyric videos cost a decent amount, and all those actually had to be created from nothing (with really no foreseen "profit" to be had)....while these old tours are already executed and filmed just collecting dust..

I'm not saying the expenses are the reason. I'm saying the profit doesn't look so lucrative unless she taps into Netflix/iTunes

Both companies can offer her something DVD cannot. Netflix can give her a lump sum to air her music concerts 

I'm not saying the expenses are the reason. I'm saying the profit doesn't look so lucrative unless she taps into Netflix/iTunes 

I see your point.. But I'd be willing to bet that putting it out through some avenue (physical, digital, streaming) wouldn't lose money for her, even if it wasn't a big profit per say.. But like I was saying before, it would ignite interest in her back catalog, to an extent.. And that way it's more of a "rising tide raises all ships" type of thing..

Plus she knows it would make her many fans happy so I don't see the logic behind just flat out not releasing it..

I see your point.. But I'd be willing to bet that putting it out through some avenue (physical, digital, streaming) wouldn't lose money for her, even if it wasn't a big profit per say.. But like I was saying before, it would ignite interest in her back catalog, to an extent.. And that way it's more of a "rising tide raises all ships" type of thing..

Plus she knows it would make her many fans happy so I don't see the logic behind just flat out not releasing it..

It wouldn't lose money but the profit is weak af (especially retail releasing it). The only avenue Janet should release from is a streaming one. Netflix can pay Janet $1M per tour and she has made a strong profit; a profit she could never make retail-wise

A lot of things would "make certain fans happy" but this is something you gotta be patient with and you shouldn't assume it's bc she's embarrassed

Edited by Game
  • Upvote 1

It wouldn't lose money but the profit is weak af (especially retail releasing it). The only avenue Janet should release from is a streaming one. Netflix can pay Janet $1M per tour and she has made a strong profit; a profit she could never make retail-wise

A lot of things would "make certain fans happy" but this is something you gotta be patient with and you shouldn't assume it's bc she's embarrassed

then maybe "embarrassed" isn't the right word.. More like "not confident"..

I think it's because those tours look old and boring compared to what she's done after. Way less effects, screens, stage props, and pyrotechnics. That's the only reason why I think she hasn't released them. I wonder why a while back did she tweet that pic of the janet.tour on a monitor in the studio

I think it's because those tours look old and boring compared to what she's done after. Way less effects, screens, stage props, and pyrotechnics. That's the only reason why I think she hasn't released them. I wonder why a while back did she tweet that pic of the janet.tour on a monitor in the studio

With video editing and technology today...they can make tours look more grand whether if they're old or just a lackluster show. I was gonna throw a lil shade at a specific artists live show compared to their dvd concerts but Imma leave it alone... anyway I dont think its a specific reason she hasnt released em or maybe she is tryna get the quality aspect to her liking...and tbh the fact that she even spoke of possibly releasing them in the future is to her credit cus I cant think of ANY artist who ended up releasing old tours they've done on dvd. If an artists didnt do a vhs or dvd release at the time of that specific tour...it usually never gets released. So if Janet did release them...it would be more of a treat than an obligation cus artists usually dont do that for old tours.

With that said RN tour was her best vocally cus it was her most live tour ever and it was just straight up about showmaship. Im glad she didnt have a bunch of smoke and mirrors for her first tour cus it displayed how much of a kick ass performer she is. 

And the janet tour simply kicked ass cus of her attitude and the look of her show/stage was the best imo out of all her ttours. I still til.this day remember what that stage setup  looked like in person. My absolute favorite. I was NEVER in love with TVR tour stage at all. 

Edited by janetDAYZ

She should do a one night special with them on BET or maybe a return to HBO so someone can rip it. It won't make money as a DVD anyway. 

Won't get views on HBO either. Def not on basic cable i.e. EBT, MTV, and/or VH0

It should only be a Netflix exclusive. Anything else: don't bother 

Edited by Game

Won't get views on HBO either. Def not on basic cable i.e. EBT, MTV, and/or VH0

It should only be a Netflix exclusive. Anything else: don't bother 

I'm sure she'd get good views for BET on BET. 

I doubt it'd be popular on Netflix either but that's the easiest and least expensive option.