UK to get it's 2nd Female Prime Minister

bu.

Female UK prime minister is on the cards, 25 years after Thatcher

Some 25 years after Margaret Thatcher was toppled, Britain looks set to be governed by its second female prime minister following the post-Brexit resignation of David Cameron.

https://next.ft.com/content/c34431ee-437a-11e6-9b66-0712b3873ae1

Who run the world? Girls! Or at least they will when Hilary wins. Come through USA!

Edited by Dammn Bu
  • Upvote 1

Fail on the link Bu :umm: 

FT is a bitch. Try this http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/07/07/uk-conservative-party-votes-2-pm-candidates/86793240/ 

Its just a shame they're both from the UK's version of the Republicans. Btu at least Theresa May voted for gay marriage as opposed to Andrea who was on the fence. 

Edited by Dammn Bu
  • Upvote 1

both could only dream of being as strong a PM as Thatcher.

Not convinced of either's ability - May hasn't been too effective as HS, represents status quo & voted Remain, whilst Andrea is inexperienced (and apparently the worst EM we've ever had but I expect that's just a smear) but voted to Leave.

Difficult choice.

Edited by xoney

:unsure: 

The new leader will be chosen by 150,000 Conservative Party members on Sept. 9, after the women campaign around the country, and will also become prime minister unless a new parliamentary election is called first.

to an American this may sound odd, but the UK elections are not presidential. The UK votes for a party with a manifesto. The current governing party won only last year with majority so even with change of leader, another general election is no necessary. It would only be necessary if there was significant changes in manifesto policy and the new leader couldn't get them through parliament.  

FT is a bitch. Try this http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/07/07/uk-conservative-party-votes-2-pm-candidates/86793240/ 

Its just a shame they're both from the UK's version of the Republicans. Btu at least Theresa May voted for gay marriage as opposed to Andrea who was on the fence. 

Conservatives are republican light lol. It's ironic how lefties attack conservatives for being well, conservatives, yet it's the conservatives that have produced 2 female priministers without any positive discrimination. If I'm right, they also have the most openly gay MPs. 

Conservatives are republican light lol. It's ironic how lefties attack conservatives for being well, conservatives, yet it's the conservatives that have produced 2 female priministers without any positive discrimination. If I'm right, they also have the most openly gay MPs. 

Republican light is still not a good thing. More Tory MPs voted against gay marriage than for. I'm not getting into a debate with you about how much you love to bottom for the Torys. 

Republican light is still not a good thing. More Tory MPs voted against gay marriage than for. I'm not getting into a debate with you about how much you love to bottom for the Torys. 

sorry but conservatives are the natural party of government in the UK. Anything else is just fantasy. :)

A lot of their voters were against it. 

Politicians are supposed to represent the people, after all.

Edited by xoney

Exactly.

Labour preach feminism. Tories practice it.

A lot of their voters were against it.

Politicians are supposed to represent the people, after all.

The first part is not a good thing. It's sad.

Edited by Dammn Bu

The first part is not a good thing. It's sad.

Of course not. But I can understand (although I use this term lightly) why some of them voted against it/chose to abstain. 

It's a distortion of reality to compare them to the GOP based on this one issue. After all, it was under a Conservative Government that the act was proposed and passed.

Of course not. But I can understand (although I use this term lightly) why some of them voted against it/chose to abstain. 

It's a distortion of reality to compare them to the GOP based on this one issue. After all, it was under a Conservative Government that the act was proposed and passed.

This is true. But I think it would have been proposed no matter what government since it was such a worldwide issue at the time. 

• Upvote 1