Great new article in NY Times: Sorry Ms Jackson, you're underrated.

PensivePutana

<a href="http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/09/arts/music/janet-jackson-control-anniversary.html?smid=tw-nytimesarts&smtyp=cur&referer=">http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/09/arts/music/janet-jackson-control-anniversary.html?smid=tw-nytimesarts&smtyp=cur&referer=</a>

(A bit of a read, but still nice to see the recognition.)

The standard for planet-stopping artistic statements in pop music is now so high that you need a pilot’s license to compete with the Beyoncés, Kanyes and Kendricksof the world. But when Janet Jackson craved ascent, she didn’t go to flight school. She went to Flyte Tyme. That was the Minneapolis production company Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis operated and where the three came up with “Control,” Ms. Jackson’s third record and the first of their subtly strange, sonically complex thematic carnivals. The album turned 30 in February, peaked in popularity right about this time that year (hitting No. 1 in July) and still sounds today as much like 1986 as it does 2056. Some producers make hooks. These three made wedgies.

It makes sense to admire “Control” as an album about independence. It’s a compelling tale of freedom in which Ms. Jackson liberates herself from the demands of suffocating men to make her own demands. She granted herself permission to define her sexiness. Even now, the excitement of “When I Think of You” is the sight of a cherubic Janet Jackson dance-walking across a soundstage in a silky, tricked-out jacket and bustier, matching pants, heels, that hoop earring with the key on it, and the mane of three lions. That was also the summer of Madonna’s “Open Your Heart”video, in which she seduced with just the bustier, some fishnets and a peep show. Despite, or more likely because of, all those clothes, Ms. Jackson’s dancing seemed all the freer.

Continued at link. ..

• Upvote 3

I feel a couple things, first I feel Janet is underrated as an artist in later years. I think for a few reasons, but one of the reasons is her detachment in recent years which could have worked in her favor but it wasn't done in the best way. Not just on her part but her team & the comeback & all that type of thing. 

Control is a CLASSIC great album but I'd like to see VR given this much respect & introspection. It has some deep concepts & it was sonically a gem. Though Control was the breakthrough Velvet Rope was the staple. 

I would LOVE to produce a Janet Jackson box set. I'd have her do exclusive interviews in the studio & recalling the creative process of all her albums. Call it Funny How Tyme Flies. Nice to see the recognition but I just KNOW present day Janet looking back probably has some very quotable & distinct perspectives. Especially with her going for a greater life purpose at this point. 

• Upvote 2

Janet has always been underated. I find that alot of people (who are non to casual fans) dont and/or didnt know Janet was a HUGE artists. They had no idea that she was one of the biggest selling artists. They just think... "she's Janet.. apart of the Jacksons ...she makes music too" . Back in highschooI my bestfriend was over at my house , we are watching TVR tour and he goes "That many ppl showed up to see her?" which demonstrates that he hadno idea that she was one of the biggest pop stars on earth and that she was a huge touring act. 

Another thing that the common person doesnt seem to know is that Janet is a WRITER. Even tho Janet,Jimmy &Terry has been highly publicized as a collabo group/team  more than any other singing act and producer I guess ppl think Jimmy and Terry do ALL the work.and Janet is merely their muse. I have to inform non fans all the time that Janet is a songwriter because most ppl just look at her talent as being a great DANCER. They have no idea about her artistry and how involved Janet is in her music,image and everything around her career for the past 3 decades. They are soooooo in the dark. So in the dark. 

Edited by janetDAYZ
  • Upvote 2