Cold Hearted and If

msboz

Okay is it just me or has anyone noticed how strikingly similar these videos are??? The songs subject matter and production are completely opposite but the videos are so alike especially the choreography with all the man handling going on.  The choreoraphy styles are different but a lot of movements look so mysteriously similar.   Also, the outfits are alke too. . Something I recently noticed was there is a some man on man action going in Cold Hearted which was hardly seen in any pop videos in the 80s.   Of course If is a fav and standout for all of us in her catalog and that video is straight up legendary.  That breakdown is right there in history.  Cold Hearted def sounds dated but no doubt Paula's greatest song and video.  Am I tripping??  What would you guys say?  

And for you kweens that wanna get sassy there's no need to bash Paula.  She was great while she lasted.  And as we know, a friend of Mama J 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7aShcmEksw 

Edited by msboz

Paula wasn't sweet during the SB aftermath, she said "Janet's talented she doesn't need any of that"  as in Paula didn't believe it was an accident, then Janet did the SNL skit where she played Paula talking to Prince and Paula had some side mouth to say about that on some talk show she was on I remember watching it like opp

Paula wasn't sweet during the SB aftermath, she said "Janet's talented she doesn't need any of that"  as in Paula didn't believe it was an accident, then Janet did the SNL skit where she played Paula talking to Prince and Paula had some side mouth to say about that on some talk show she was on I remember watching it like opp

Naaaaw I don't think its cuz of that...none of these things were shady. Plus Paula is on a meds and shes always loopy so who knows what she can say or act. I just saw Paula on Watch what happens live the other night and she had nothing but nice things to say....but yeah back on subject...the choreography...I'm surprised no one ever pointed that out before..or maybe they did but I didn't catch it.   But churl ,  Janet and Paula were all over my childhood.  I have nothing but great moments from both. In grade school I had 2 folders one with Janet on the cover, the other with Paula.  We even got in a little trouble because when cold hearted came out the teachers said that song and video is not appropriate for us and it got banned from being played at school.  I got a talking to one time as well cuz my lil gay ass  was singing black cat and I said the word damn and Sister Susan ( I went to private school ) told me she will not tolerate an music with profanity lol.  

• Upvote 2

Naaaaw I don't think its cuz of that...none of these things were shady. Plus Paula is on a meds and shes always loopy so who knows what she can say or act. I just saw Paula on Watch what happens live the other night and she had nothing but nice things to say....but yeah back on subject...the choreography...I'm surprised no one ever pointed that out before..or maybe they did but I didn't catch it.   But churl ,  Janet and Paula were all over my childhood.  I have nothing but great moments from both. In grade school I had 2 folders one with Janet on the cover, the other with Paula.  We even got in a little trouble because when cold hearted came out the teachers said that song and video is not appropriate for us and it got banned from being played at school.  I got a talking to one time as well cuz my lil gay ass  was singing black cat and I said the word damn and Sister Susan ( I went to private school ) told me she will not tolerate an music with profanity lol.  

you're adorable :lol:  

• Upvote 1

Bad comparison.

I always felt this was Paula's "If" ... 

Both songs have a "haunting" sound wit a provocative flair. 

Paula sings in a low register as Janet does in "If" to add to the dark edgy feel of the production. 

"If" had an asian theme. This video has middle Eastern inspired imagery.

Like you cant tell me that this song.and video was not inspired by "If"

Edited by janetDAYZ
  • Upvote 1

Bad comparison.

I always felt this was Paula's "If" ... 

Both songs have a "haunting" sound wit a provocative flair. 

Paula sings in a low register as Janet does in "If" to add to the dark edgy feel of the production. 

"If" had an asian theme. This video has middle Eastern inspired imagery.

Like you cant tell me that this song.and video was not inspired by "If"

I went out and bought the cassette single for this right when it came out!!!!  Love the song and love the video even more.   I like Crazycool too.  Pretty much after all that she was done unfortunately . 

• Upvote 2

Okay is it just me or has anyone noticed how strikingly similar these videos are??? The songs subject matter and production are completely opposite but the videos are so alike especially the choreography with all the man handling going on.  The choreoraphy styles are different but a lot of movements look so mysteriously similar.   Also, the outfits are alke too. . Something I recently noticed was there is a some man on man action going in Cold Hearted which was hardly seen in any pop videos in the 80s.   Of course If is a fav and standout for all of us in her catalog and that video is straight up legendary.  That breakdown is right there in history.  Cold Hearted def sounds dated but no doubt Paula's greatest song and video.  Am I tripping??  What would you guys say?  

And for you kweens that wanna get sassy there's no need to bash Paula.  She was great while she lasted.  And as we know, a friend of Mama J 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7aShcmEksw 

Okay I just watched this video.... and yeah Tina definitely took elements from that choreography. I was never a big Paula fan but home girl could dance her ass off. The thing about Paula was that her style never seemed to evolve due to the fact that she choreography her own stuff. Whereas Janet worked with different people. So her moves were always new and fresh. Paula was a great dancer but she was never supposed to be an artist. That's why she fell off so quickly. 

Okay I just watched this video.... and yeah Tina definitely took elements from that choreography. I was never a big Paula fan but home girl could dance her ass off. The thing about Paula was that her style never seemed to evolve due to the fact that she choreography her own stuff. Whereas Janet worked with different people. So her moves were always new and fresh. Paula was a great dancer but she was never supposed to be an artist. That's why she fell off so quickly. 

Paula could have been developed more, and that could have helped, look what they did with Britney

hell no lol. My Love is For Real is not a good song at all. Her voice sucks and I definitely understand why it flopped. I guarantee it wouldn't of worked anywhere. I'm sure if Janet had realized Tina took some moves from Paula and tweaked it a bit she probably would've had whole new choreography set up for it except the classic and iconic "If" breakdown would've remained.

Edited by JoeJoe
  • Upvote 1

hell no lol. My Love is For Real is not a good song at all. Her voice sucks and I definitely understand why it flopped. I guarantee it wouldn't of worked anywhere. I'm sure if Janet had realized Tina took some moves from Paula and tweaked it a bit she probably would've had whole new choreography set up for it except the classic and iconic "If" breakdown would've remained.

oPW3V1uhRL2YIYaYglj7_tumblr_nk7eysuwpJ1q

• Upvote 1

I have vivid memories of being a kid in my room wanting to fuck the hell outta both of them. At. The. Same. Time. 

#oneday

I honestly found them on the same level of attractiveness in the 80s until Janet's Rhythm Nation album and in Escapade is where her real beauty came through. From then on her beauty magnified. I loved how she did it tho. The first few moments of the Escapade video you only see a glimpse of Janet. They were preparing us for a new look that showed off more of her beauty. Remember all her other videos were more tom boyish.  

Edited by JoeJoe

Boy u tripping...that was Paula at her best. Her vocals on there sound a thousand times better than her other non singing ass singles!!!! :lmao: at least on this she was using her lower register and not her signature non singing upper whiney register !!

Boy u tripping...that was Paula at her best. Her vocals on there sound a thousand times better than her other non singing ass singles!!!! :lmao: at least on this she was using her lower register and not her signature non singing upper whiney register !!

I think Rush Rush gave her best vocals

OH yes,  I definitely noticed this back in 1993 when If came out.  I honestly felt that the choreography was a rip off of Cold Hearted Snake the first time I saw it, but If was more ground-breaking in style and artistry.  CHS was a bit cheap feeling compared to If.   

That being said, it was truly Paula flexing her dancing muscles, and you knew at that point that while the choreography may have started to date itself, there was really no female in the pop/dance world that dance like that.  Those spins and stops...

Edited by JJATL

Similar but different. That is my all time favorite Paula video. I love the violin breakdown. The beginning is very similar to the beginning of If. I used to love her, until she became a total cunt. I was definitely done with her after her fake superbowl outrage. 

Edited by Jodienda76