Janet Jackson: The First Millennial

wayneashleymusic

Rhythm Nation was truly ahead of it's time. And your damn right an appeal should be made to millennials about her music.  I was a little kid when RN came out and didn't really understand it.  But as I grew older I did. It's so crazy to think  that the same things she was talking about back then are the exact things still going on today. Time change but situations stay the same...unfortunately. 

• Upvote 6

Rhythm Nation was truly ahead of it's time. And your damn right an appeal should be made to millennials about her music.  I was a little kid when RN came out and didn't really understand it.  But as I grew older I did. It's so crazy to think  that the same things she was talking about back then are the exact things still going on today. Time change but situations stay the same...unfortunately. 

Same here I was really introduced to Janet Jackson through TVR.  I was 15 when it came out, and couldn't believe that a pop artist was so bold with their music.  I didn't really discover Janet's other albums until 10 years later.  I listened to the first half of RN and by the time Livin' In A World came on, I was crying.  

Artists just don't do what Janet, Jimmy and Terry do anymore.  All of the albums are great, but RN was simply a masterpiece.  Exactly why 27 years later it sounds and feels so relevant.  

• Upvote 2

"Timeless beats" YASSSSSS NO OTHER JACKSON CAN SAY THAT

In Fact.. no other 80s musician has timeless music from that decade

This is only my opinion, but while I feel Control has more "timeless" music (in regard to beats) than RN does, I would say the janet. album contains a lot of beats that are so dated it hurts to listen to.. 

• Upvote 1

She could appeal more to millennials than she does currently as her music and videos have aged well for the most part. But she would need to revamp her image--specifically, ensure her work is online in its entirety-- and make herself more visible than she is now to be palatable to the younger generation.  

• Upvote 1

This is only my opinion, but while I feel Control has more "timeless" music (in regard to beats) than RN does, I would say the janet. album contains a lot of beats that are so dated it hurts to listen to.. 

Control sounds dated, instrumentally. Aside from Nasty & Lets Wait Awhile, the instrumentals on Control, IMO, are kinda cheesy.. very 80s

Whereas RN1814 doesn't really have the cheesy factor.. every song can be played as if it were 2020

YES YES YES!!!!! 

Beyond millennials, Janet has generation z appeal. Especially during her John McClain/A&M years with Control & RN1814. Her brand during that time has aged the best of ALL of her contemporaries. The only thing that stops her from crossing over is a HUGE lack of material. I'm glad there's a thread on this because it sucks to see two of the best era's in pop history paid complete dust. :l

• Upvote 1

YES YES YES!!!!! 

Beyond millennials, Janet has generation z appeal. Especially during her John McClain/A&M years with Control & RN1814. Her brand during that time has aged the best of ALL of her contemporaries. The only thing that stops her from crossing over is a HUGE lack of material. I'm glad there's a thread on this because it sucks to see two of the best era's in pop history paid complete dust. :l

Totally agree!  Its a shame they get slept on like this. I'd also say that these generations would gravitate more naturally to her music also (than that of her contemporaries).

Edited by BlackCat77