Is it me or has Unbreakable made you appreciate Janet albums more?

janet.1814

Good point. "Unbreakable" is a masterpiece in itself..and for her to create an album after classics like "Control" and "RN" gives me a glimmer of hope that she'll continue to push herself creatively. I mean, the lyrics to "Black Eagle" should be in the Library of Congress.

• Upvote 1

It's very much like Classic Janet.. and it's a great follow up to AFY :shifty: 

I appreciate Janet more for this album. The last three were shit in comparison 

this album is actually classsic Janet with a modern twist ? Idk why she didn't use that phrase this time around 

the last few albums kinda make more sense now 

• Upvote 1

I don't get the hate/dislike from that song.  The way the beat builds and when Janet sings "Till the next life Inshallah" at the end..

peBKaQq_zpsfxrubrlx.gif

It's just very...boring. I like the harmonies though.

peBKaQq_zpsfxrubrlx.gif

Edited by Dammn Bu

Couldn't agree more!  From listening through the songs, this seems totally intentional.  She basically takes us on a Janet JACKSON tour.  The "Jackson" is in all caps, because this really feels like the closest she has come musically to the rest of her family, via Unbreakable, Dream Maker/ Euphoria and Gon' B Alright.  

But then you also have the different lanes that Unbreakable travels down...  

Burn It Up!-- the classic 'get down and dance' lane (think AFY)

Dammn Baby-- the 'get down and dance, but with a message' lane (Control, RN and TVR)

The Great Forever-- reflecting brother Michael's message.  

Shoulda Known Better-- a look back on her RN legacy

After You Fall-- kinda new territory, especially how exposed the vocals are.  I guess you could equate it to circa Janet era, aka Again, but it goes deeper.  

Broken Hearts Heal-- a dedication to brother Michael, and to the strength of the family.  

Night-- a classic, CRUCIAL Janet, Jimmy and Terry get down jam session.  MINNEAPOLIS!!  

No Sleeep-- the essential "Quiet Storm" lane that has ruled on Every. Single. Album.  From Funny How Time Flies, to Lonely, to Anytime Anyplace, these songs are ageless.  

This is why even a year later, I can't get enough of this album.  For a true Janet Jackson fan, Unbreakable is like the DNA of her whole career.  

• Upvote 2

Apart from Broken Hearts Heal (the song, not the lyrics), yes it was glorious.

For most Millennials (like myself), it's tough to understand BHH, mostly because we don't have 40 years worth of Jackson family context.  That "slow build" development isn't just a disco feel, it's a particular song-- Don't Stop Till You Get Enough from Michael Jackson's Off the Wall.  

What people forget is that Janet helped to create this song with her big brother Michael.  She played percussion on the demo that Michael sent in to Quincy Jones. That's why it's so special to her, and (I assume) why should choose it in particular to construct BHH.  It's a way of reminding the world that Michael's legacy lives on through the whole Jackson family.    

Check out that Demo tape, then listen to BHH.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2IzJihXPEM  

For most Millennials (like myself), it's tough to understand BHH, mostly because we don't have 40 years worth of Jackson family context.  That "slow build" development isn't just a disco feel, it's a particular song-- Don't Stop Till You Get Enough from Michael Jackson's Off the Wall.  

What people forget is that Janet helped to create this song with her big brother Michael.  She played percussion on the demo that Michael sent in to Quincy Jones. That's why it's so special to her, and (I assume) why should choose it in particular to construct BHH.  It's a way of reminding the world that Michael's legacy lives on through the whole Jackson family.    

Check out that Demo tape, then listen to BHH.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2IzJihXPEM  

I'm a huge Jackson fan and I know a lot of their catalogue but I still don't like the song. Sorry :( 

Whilst I commend the message and I love that she gave us such a personal glimpse into how she felt/feels about MJ's death, I just think the song is a snoozefest. But it's artistically good in terms of harmonies - I'll praise that. Janet's harmonies always slay, even on her mixtape Discipline. 

• Upvote 1