Is the Janet fandom dead....

zeb1814

its not dead at all, we are spread out.... there is not one single fan forum or board that everyone Janet goes to. As long as Janet isn't in the public eye, which she seems to not want to be, Janet fans have nothing to discuss that we haven't already. We are dealing with an artist whose peak is behind her, and as fans we wait eagerly for anything Janet related but those "things" "events" etc are becoming rarer...as soon as Janet comes out of "private as hell land" some Janet fans will comeback to speak.

I also believe its important to note that we are all getting older, I would say the average Janet fan is at least 30 seeing how she peaked in the 90's which was 20 years ago. My point being we got shit to do, lives to live, not saying we  love Janet any less, what I am saying is people move on, I stay because Im a diehard with no life :lol: but I still love her, I always will. Ive said it before it would have been so much easier to have fallen for an artist that craves attention, I like Mariah Carey but I dont love her, but man it sure would be easier to follow her than Janet :lol:

Edited by Bailey.
  • Upvote 6

I think it's in sleep mode right now. After the schism that occurred during what we got out of the Unbreakable era, some fans have probably decided to take a break, especially since nothing is happening with Janet now. Once she gives birth and we get some news about her, there will be more to talk about in the threads.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't say it's dead. Janet has a lot of young fans in their early 20's but because she has become more reclusive over the years it is harder for her to attract even more fans. If you look at somebody like Mariah Carey she loves the attention she gets so she makes herself more visible to the public. Same thing with Madonna. Janet is the opposite. She will not  sacrifice her privacy for attention especially now with a child. I've always respected and admired that about her. It is one of the reasons I have stayed a Stan for so long. It's like her fame could be gone tomorrow and it wouldn't bother her. Hell she would probably welcome it. 

• Upvote 3

janet is not a social media artist so her fans are not the overzealous bunch you see on the internet. a large segment of her fanbase are working,raising kids,and not consumed with janet's next move, they listen to adult r&b radio on the drive to work and dont have itunes or stream music. janet is entering the phase of other black legends, her true fans will always love her but are not part of this current era instant access. 

• Upvote 3

janet is not a social media artist so her fans are not the overzealous bunch you see on the internet. a large segment of her fanbase are working,raising kids,and not consumed with janet's next move, they listen to adult r&b radio on the drive to work and dont have itunes or stream music. janet is entering the phase of other black legends, her true fans will always love her but are not part of this current era instant access. 

gurl say it! ...I can't bothered with much of current music to be honest, I just dont give a fuck, back in the day I could tell you the entire top 10 on billboard hot 100, now I barely recognize the acts in the top ten on billboard nor itunes <_<

I wouldn't say it's dead. Janet has a lot of young fans in their early 20's but because she has become more reclusive over the years it is harder for her to attract even more fans. If you look at somebody like Mariah Carey she loves the attention she gets so she makes herself more visible to the public. Same thing with Madonna. Janet is the opposite. She will not  sacrifice her privacy for attention especially now with a child. I've always respected and admired that about her. It is one of the reasons I have stayed a Stan for so long. It's like her fame could be gone tomorrow and it wouldn't bother her. Hell she would probably welcome it. 

I'm cool with Janet doing her thing, even if that's staying out the limelight but her legacy all that hard work and all those doors she open for Black female talent and others is being ignored and lost like she didnt exist before 2004 like she didnt do some great things, I just wish she felt some sense that yes the legacy I leave behind needs to be preserved.

Everyone with an iPhone has iTunes 

Janet definitely doesn't need to be a social media artist.  She's a music icon and living legend.  

Honestly, I feel for today's stars.  Janet ruled the game in a blessed era where artists were still able to make money from album sales.  Today's artists are lucky if even a miniscule fraction of all those thirsty followers are willing to actually invest in them by buying an album.  Save for a few artists like Adele, Drake and Taylor Swift, they are dependent on grueling tours just to break even and have a next project.  

Meanwhile Janet's Unbreakable era has thus far produced an historic Number 1 Adult R&B Single, and a Number 1 album.  She's out-selling many of the younger artists that have millions of so-called "fans".  

3 years ago I would have said yes. But there seems to be a resurgence in the past 2 years, especially with the Induct Janet campaigns. It would have been nice of her to capitalise on it but she doesn't need to. She's in a good space and that's all that matters. 

Edited by Dammn Bu

Janet definitely doesn't need to be a social media artist.  She's a music icon and living legend.  

Honestly, I feel for today's stars.  Janet ruled the game in a blessed era where artists were still able to make money from album sales.  Today's artists are lucky if even a miniscule fraction of all those thirsty followers are willing to actually invest in them by buying an album.  Save for a few artists like Adele, Drake and Taylor Swift, they are dependent on grueling tours just to break even and have a next project.  

Meanwhile Janet's Unbreakable era has thus far produced an historic Number 1 Adult R&B Single, and a Number 1 album.  She's out-selling many of the younger artists that have millions of so-called "fans".  

So true! Selena Gomez is a prime example. This girl just reached 100 million followers on Instagram,  but her latest album has only sold 1 million units mostly due to streaming. I am happy Janet emerged in the 80's.  She had real competition and she was still able to leave a legendary mark. 

• 4 weeks later...

its not dead at all, we are spread out.... there is not one single fan forum or board that everyone Janet goes to. As long as Janet isn't in the public eye, which she seems to not want to be, Janet fans have nothing to discuss that we haven't already. We are dealing with an artist whose peak is behind her, and as fans we wait eagerly for anything Janet related but those "things" "events" etc are becoming rarer...as soon as Janet comes out of "private as hell land" some Janet fans will comeback to speak.

I also believe its important to note that we are all getting older, I would say the average Janet fan is at least 30 seeing how she peaked in the 90's which was 20 years ago. My point being we got shit to do, lives to live, not saying we  love Janet any less, what I am saying is people move on, I stay because Im a diehard with no life :lol: but I still love her, I always will. Ive said it before it would have been so much easier to have fallen for an artist that craves attention, I like Mariah Carey but I dont love her, but man it sure would be easier to follow her than Janet :lol:

Exactly.  I'm 38, and I was in 4th grade when I was obsessing over RN.  We are just too "adult" these days for a large segment of the fan base to be on message boards like us JJ freaks. LOL  And, like you said, the fact that she's so hidden these days doesn't allow a younger fan base to develop.